A month or so back I mentioned in the forum I was planning on getting a hi-gain, multi-channel amp. There were may good suggestions for what to check into. So after considering JVM210, Peavy JSX, Mesa Boogie (couple of them) and Carvin V3 I settled on:

Egnater Tourmaster 4100

I played it at Guitar Center and really liked how it sounded. I got the 4100 head and run it through my Carvin 2x12 or Marshall 4x12. I thought the Egnater cabinet was superb sounding and very clean. However, I don't want another 4x12 cabinet but I might considered getting the Egnater 2x12 when it is available.

I've had it since Labor Day and my assessment is:

Best features:
- Power Grid ... You can set each channel from 10 to 100 Watts. I have it setup for 10 Watts and the tone when pushing the tubes is still the same as when I run at 100 Watts. Well, At least to my less stressed ears.
- Flexibility ... Found many different tones from the channels. Was actually surprised I could get some nice subtle drive from Clean 2. I hardly push the gain past 1 o'clock on the OD channels and get plenty of punch. This will handle anything I need from really heavy metal sound to classic rock. Has a high and low inputs to give a little more or less boost too.
- Effects loop is very good. I'm only running it in series for my modulation pedals (chorus, eq, reverb, delay). It has send and return level controls and it was really easy to dial in identical volume with and without the effects loop activated. I found this all but impossible with my Marshall's parallel loop (I know they're different animals, but never was able to get the mix to be close to usable).

Down sides:
- Unusual channel switch connector (8 pin DIN) will make an extension cable pretty hard to find (I'll need to wire up my own, I guess).
- I'm guessing it will be hard to get it fixed locally if it fails. The Egnater site is pretty barren on support information and doesn't have list of dealer/service centers.

I've read some people saying the Countour control is useless. I disagree and should need to keep in mind it isn't a crank it all the way type of control. For scooping mid's I turn it on and dial it to about 10 o'clock. I haven't used it to push the mids in a solo since I have an EQ pedal for that.

Also, I use the density (pushes low end) and presence controls sparingly. A little goes a long way with them and it is easy to overpower the sound.

I put some pics in my profile: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/webcommando/pictures/gear/415281/

Here's some samples I recorded when I was trying to get the recording rig dialed in with the amp. These come from the recording output on the amp which is tapping after the power section and simulates an offset mic in front of the cabinet.

Samples in my profile: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/webcommando/music/all/play415959

EDIT: The original samples were sucktacular...I did a boost on the mix so you can actually hear them.

First sample is a riff using my preferred scooped mid sound (contour on) on OD1 set to modern and a lead part on OD2 set to classic with contour off. There's also a set of samples in Drop-C (listen to the samples at the end!) and a few strums for the clean channels to show the sound with contour on/off and different character the classic/modern switch gives.

Thought I'd let everyone who helped with suggestions see what I ended up with! Hopefully this helps others
My Favorite T-Shirt Saying: "Warning: Drummer Playing Guitar"

My Music: Abandon At My Place -- One man heavy observational rock band...

My Fav Gear:
Egnater Tourmaster 4100, Schecter Hellraiser, MXR EQ, Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss DD-7
Last edited by webcommando at Sep 15, 2008,
HNAD!

I found it to be a toneful amp when I played it, but I wasn't particularly enamored with it. I'm glad you like it.
Hmmm....

That sounds like an awesome amp and I'm sure it sounds great, but your sound clips don't. At all, what are using to record? and what kind of speakers are you running?
Quote by al112987
Hmmm....

That sounds like an awesome amp and I'm sure it sounds great, but your sound clips don't. At all, what are using to record? and what kind of speakers are you running?

Well, the Clean clip was actually decent. The other two were muffled.

Crank that puppy and let her roar!
The recordings were from the external recording jack which is at microphone levels through my Sapphire PRO pres.

No, I didn't do any post processing on them (fixing levels, equalizing gain, compression). Listening this morning, I must have bounced them at a really quiet level. So much for rushing to get it done Sunday night.

I'll need to fix them repost tonight.

My Fav Gear:
Egnater Tourmaster 4100, Schecter Hellraiser, MXR EQ, Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss DD-7
Quote by webcommando
The recordings were from the external recording jack which is at microphone levels through my Sapphire PRO pres.

No, I didn't do any post processing on them (fixing levels, equalizing gain, compression). Listening this morning, I must have bounced them at a really quiet level. So much for rushing to get it done Sunday night.

I'll need to fix them repost tonight.

Line out? or using a mic?
Quote by al112987
Line out? or using a mic?

The external output on the Amp is actually at microphone levels so I needed to it through a pre-amp into my recording rig. This is different than my Marshall which was line level and didn't need to go through pre's. I didn't record using microphone (something I will test later but it's so much convenient to use the external out).

This is part of the reason the recordings aren't as good as I would like. I haven't got it quite dialed in yet. I'm spending all my time playing and not recording

My Fav Gear: