Yes, I am asking for help with homework. I have no excuses; this is my last problem before I am finished and it has me stumped. So, in response to the people who will say: "Do your own work" all I can say is please. Can anyone solve this?

In the 2 x 2 box shown here(*just assume there is a chart), each answer must be correct four ways: horizontally, vertically,
diagonally, and by itself. Instead of words, use symbols of the elements. When the puzzle is
complete, the four spaces will contain the overlapping symbols of ten elements. There is only one
correct solution.

Horizontal
1-2: Two-letter symbol for a metal used in ancient times.
3-4: Two-letter symbol for a metal that burns in air and is found in group 5A.
Vertical
1-3: Two-letter symbol for a metalloid.
2-4: Two-letter symbol for a metal used in U.S. coins.
Single squares: all one-letter symbols
1. A colorful nonmetal.
2. Colorless gaseous nonmetal.
3. An element that makes fireworks green.
4. An element that has medicinal uses.
Diagonal
1-4: Two-letter symbol for an element used in electronics.
2-3: Two-letter symbol for a metal used with Zr to make wires for superconducting magnets.
Quote by Twist of fate
With their diets, finding a fat woman in Japan is like finding someone in the Pit with an IQ over 100.

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."
Quote by Gabriel Tanaka
Yes, I am asking for help with homework. I have no excuses; this is my last problem before I am finished and it has me stumped. So, in response to the people who will say: "Do your own work" all I can say is please. Can anyone solve this?

In the 2 x 2 box shown here(*just assume there is a chart), each answer must be correct four ways: horizontally, vertically,
diagonally, and by itself. Instead of words, use symbols of the elements. When the puzzle is
complete, the four spaces will contain the overlapping symbols of ten elements. There is only one
correct solution.

Horizontal
1-2: Two-letter symbol for a metal used in ancient times.
3-4: Two-letter symbol for a metal that burns in air and is found in group 5A.
Vertical
1-3: Two-letter symbol for a metalloid.
2-4: Two-letter symbol for a metal used in U.S. coins. Ni
Single squares: all one-letter symbols
1. A colorful nonmetal.
2. Colorless gaseous nonmetal. F
3. An element that makes fireworks green.
4. An element that has medicinal uses.
Diagonal
1-4: Two-letter symbol for an element used in electronics. Cu
2-3: Two-letter symbol for a metal used with Zr to make wires for superconducting magnets.

there's three I think
oh... too bad i took forensic science this year.
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Quote by metallinutter
there's three I think

Actually there are four, if I understand you correctly. I just had some what of an epiphany and solved it myself. The answer is as follows:
1. Sulfur 2. Nitrogen
3. Boron 4. Iodine
Quote by Twist of fate
With their diets, finding a fat woman in Japan is like finding someone in the Pit with an IQ over 100.

"First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire."
ancient times = iron?
US coins = copper, zinc or nickel
green fireworks = barium, copper salts also burn green
electronics = probably silicon, also germanium, and the ones in the 2 columns next to them
Zr magnets = wikipedia says zinc
colourful nonmetal = iodine is purple?
colourless nonmetal gas = well, they're all mostly colourless? so take your pick out....
Last edited by seljer at Sep 14, 2008,