So i bought my new pickups today and everything is going well until i decide to check if my wiring and such were right. I plug in my guitar and there is this annoying BUZZZ sound. I suspect it is grounding issues because every time i touch something metal on my guitar it stops buzzing. Any help on how to fix it ?
how high is ur amps volume?? all guitars feedback/buzz at high volume and/or when ur too close to ur amp. try standing back a bit.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
what type of bridge is it?

if it's a tremelo, it should have a wire soldered to the claw, which leads to the ground. That sounds like the problem if touching your bridge is solving the buzz.

actually all bridges are connected.. for tune-o-matic's, it's just touching the bridge where it goes into the stud.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
My amp is not past 2 (and its pretty loud but i am away from it. I have a Tune O Matic Bridge. Would you suggest resoldering everything
yeah just saw ur profile the hot rod deville is insanely loud

yeah, resolder, go over every connection carefully.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
hmmm happens to me too. i have a TOM. i thought it was just that the buckers are real hot and the metal on the bridge was slightly vibrating and making buzz on the pickups. wow. how to fix?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Yeah, I fail, HORRIBLY.After Resolder everything I go and plug in my guitar, I was like Cool, no noise.But then I put a string against the Humbucker and I heard nothing.I checked if everything was how it was supposed to be wired (from the seymour duncan site) and everything was right. WHAT DID I DO WRONG. If it helps I am trying to put in the SD Hot Rodded Set, 2 Volumes, 1 tone, 3way. If anyone can send me a better wiring diagram, that would trememdously help, I want to play my guitar!
Any Ideas? When I get home from school ( Im on my phone) I am going to start working on it again so anything that can help me would be apreciated.
make sure theres a ground wire attached to the stud on the tail peice/ bridge
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Ahh, i was messing around with the cables that go to the input jack and i noticed when i just put the hot wire, i can get sound but i get ALOT of hum and when i put the ground to the ground prong i can not hear anything
It's normal, man. I don't care what anyone else says, it's normal. I've wired hundreds of guitars, and they all do this.

I say again: It is normal.

edit: I'm sorry.

Is it just a bit of buzz or is it stupidly loud?

I had a pup that I repaired that had something wrong with the grounding or something and it buzzed more than it used to, but only if you touched the mounting screws...

If it's just a bit of buzz, it's normal, but If it's loud as hell, IDK what is wrong. I never figured it out on that pup.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Sep 15, 2008,
Well i semi fixed the hum/Buzz.I basically did this

For the ground i will probably put it on the top of the tone Pot. But here is the thing. The tone Pot does not work how i wired it.Any ideas? Also i guess it is just slightly humming because i wired it like that
Anything anyone? Oh yea sorta did a different type of wiring with the tone pot =and i got the tone pot to work and no Hum/ Buzz BUT the volume got sucked so bad (And the tone ) that i had to put the volume up to 6-8 so i can get at least a good practice level volume
I am pretty Sure the pickups are good, Unless my pots are bad, which i might think they are. Tomorrow ill the Tone part Because that might be the place were it is going wrong, maybe add a new Cap.
Check the pots first. They're cheap, and you'll spend no more than maybe $15 (but that's the high side).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.