Page 1 of 2
So, my band, we're kinda getting into gigging, we played one at a battle of the bands at my school, and i realized, i dont really have any stage moves.

I sing and play rhythm guitar, so i'm kinda stuck to a mic stand minus during solos.

any ideas of some decent stage moves?
Guitar spins. Takes practice and a sturdy strap or straplocks. But even if it's just for a few seconds during a short riff, walk away from the mic if you can.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
look for janick gers or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq6CfNw1gbc
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Guitar spins. Takes practice and a sturdy strap or straplocks. But even if it's just for a few seconds during a short riff, walk away from the mic if you can.

Yea, we played our own song, and then paranoid by sabbath, and breaking the law by judas priest,

i dont really get any time way from the mic on breaking the law.

but paranoid i strolled around the stage kindof.
and same with our own song

but i mean, i'm looking for something a little more flashy, then walking
dude... jump, headbang, swing your guitar around (make sure you use straplocks)... just have fun up there and dont just stand in one place and stare at your frets. it always works for me.
Yea, staring at the frets never works, i try to avoid it unless i have to.

during band practices, i've been trying running around my garage while playing riffs
dont headbang and rock out like most people, dance. be goofy sometimes, people remember you if your different on stage
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
i always use the scissors kick to accentuate the big intro
Mr. Allan wrote:
This is like saying you're not allowed to jerk off over the girl next door unless you have a license and written permission from her. Which, of course, is bullsh*t
JUMP! Might as well Jump.

Rip off David Lee Roth, or Justin Hawkins if you play guitar. You may or may not like their music, but those two are the most entertaining people to watch ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwbJ4Mrr7w0

EDIT: In that video Steve Vai has some serious moves as well!

Basically what I'm saying is imagine you're a female stripper.. sure, blokes will call you "gay" and "lame" but just wait till you're DROWNING in pussy...
Last edited by Les Paul Ell at Sep 15, 2008,
well most importen rule LOOK NATURAL at least walk around as you play
Please don't do guitar spins. They make you look like a loser.

Just dance. Honestly, you don't have to headbang, you can dance. It's fun. Of course, I think you play heavier music then I do, but you get the idea. Move around the way you feel like you should.
Quote by dickm
Whats a strap lock?

It is something that looks your guitar strap in place so you don't have the problem of straps coming off part of the way through a song and making you look like a total idiot infornt of people

It is actually totally essential

EDIT

On the subject of the thread, i reckon moves can sometimes look tacky if they are forced

Just go with the flow of your music and see what happens, there is no need to practise any moves at all that way
Last edited by Symmetry4321 at Sep 17, 2008,
Quote by Symmetry4321
It is something that looks your guitar strap in place so you don't have the problem of straps coming off part of the way through a song and making you look like a total idiot infornt of people

It is actually totally essential

I disagree. I have a really good and sturdy Levy's strap and in the 3 or 4 years I've had it and under heavy strain, it's never fallen off. But they are good to have,
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Not exactly a stage move, but have two bottles, one with orange in it and an old vodka bottle with water in, on optics attached to your amp, then just go get yourself a vodka 'n' orange (actualy diluted orange) whenever you feel like a drink on stage.
It looks way cool and generaly gets a titter from the crowd.
Quote by MertaN
So, my band, we're kinda getting into gigging, we played one at a battle of the bands at my school, and i realized, i dont really have any stage moves.

I sing and play rhythm guitar, so i'm kinda stuck to a mic stand minus during solos.

any ideas of some decent stage moves?

is there any parts where you dont play?

if so, watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EodmorWC_I
Quote by ESte
Is it just me, or is the bass tone awful on that concert?

I don't really hear anything wrong with the tone personally, but thats really besides the point.

I pointed it out to show how to sing and still move around on stage and have more of a stage presence.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
but have two bottles, one with orange in it and an old vodka bottle with water in, on optics attached to your amp, then just go get yourself a vodka 'n' orange (actualy diluted orange)

booo, real vodka!

my band has been known to do the mighty rock pyramid, always fun

I saw a gig once, where the frontman during the solo, took a drink of orange juice, and a drink of vodka and kinda mixed it around with his mouth n spit the screwdriver all over the front couple of rows and they went crazy for some reason... I'd be pissed if some guy spit on me

oh wait screwdrivers is tequila and orane juice... but whatever he spit it on the rows
Quote by IDread
You know something is wrong when you have to utter the words "I have ganja in my eye" to your mother...

Quote by RIPKurt67-94
Aliens don't exist. I live on Mars, and I can assure you that there is no life here.

I hijacked this!
Watch alot of videos of your favorite musicans, try to see how they are feeling and pulsating and reacting to the music.

I watch alot of The Who and Jimi Hendrix and Judas Priest, as well as some Ac/Dc , thats where I snag most of my moves from
Quote by Highwaytohell
Watch alot of videos of your favorite musicans, try to see how they are feeling and pulsating and reacting to the music.

I watch alot of The Who and Jimi Hendrix and Judas Priest, as well as some Ac/Dc , thats where I snag most of my moves from

Does Judas Priest have anymoves except for headbanging?

Just do your own thing... you dont have to copy Angus Young to look badass on stage
If you get the chance, do a Mark Rizzo jump-kick, do head spins (spin your head around, see Slipknot or Cannibal Corpse play live). It gets the crowd goin' wild!!!!
Unless you feel like doing it without thinking about it, I strongly recommend NOT doing other people's stage moves, no matter how cool they look. It just ends up looking contrived and cheesy, and everyone knows you're just ripping off somebody else.

I would suggest the "power stance" for singing, where you plant both feet a few feet apart so you're kind of forming a triangle with your legs and the stage. Jack Black shows it to the kids in "School of Rock", watch the DVD.

No, really....if you're the singer and rhythm guitar player, no one is going to think less of you if you're "chained" to the mic stand most of the time, as long as you're into the music and what you're doing. That's your job in the band to sing--not pussyfoot around onstage doing stupid moves. Personally, I think it shows confidence if you stand at the mic stand and hold your ground, rather than taking every chance you have to run off and do some stupid apesh%t move when you don't have to sing. Plus, I've met some chicks who think it's really sexy when the singer/guitarist is standing up at the mic in front, all cool and in control in one spot.
have you ever saw the WWE wrestler HHH?

do the thing where he mists water everywhere durring a really heave guitar riff

durring a lead guitar instrumental walk over to the side of the stage, kneel down and have a attractive female companion go in front of you. Either put in a fake boner or rube yourself till you pitch yer tent.

that is sure to raise sum eyebrows
Quote by EbEar
oh and yao151 i love the fact that you as a fan of metallica and slayer likes John Frusciante, i wish more people around here had an open mind like that

see...
I'm not narrow minded

just narrow dicked
Your Rhythm and Vocals, Dude Same here, and it sucks. During the solo's Feel Free To Play into the Lead Guitarist, especially if they end the solo with the Rhythm Riff, allways looks good.

When it calls for you not needing to play, i sometimes throw my guitar behind me and pull the mic stand right up to my mouth.

ALLWAYS end with a big finish. Stomp on your final chord and make it LOUD

if you ever have to slide right up the neck, it looks cool if you do a lift (like Guitar hero Star Power)

and thats all i can offer, but remember that no matter how gay you feel, the people came to see a rock gig, if you have a high energy performance they'll more likley come back
The lead singer for Helix climbs the PA stack and sings from there, followed by a rolling somersault off the PA stack and across the stage before the beginning of the next phrase.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
The lead singer for Helix climbs the PA stack and sings from there, followed by a rolling somersault off the PA stack and across the stage before the beginning of the next phrase.

CT

Hey, I do that, kinda, but without the somersaults.
When we do War Pigs, and when we get to the middle section that starts 'Politicians hide themselves away...' I sing that from the top of the PA, then there's a guitar break, while I run across the stage then I sing the 'Time will tell on their powered minds...' part from the top of the PA on the other side of the stage.

I haven't fallen off yet, but I've come damned close to doing.
Use fire.

See Rammstein.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
I just had my first gig last friday. Im a pretty out going guy, so I didnt have any stage fright or anything. I reccomend volcano tacos and an energy drink though? Also, if you guys have a monitor for you're PA system and arent on a stage, jump over it on a big intro. I did that our cover of blitzkrieg bop, crowd loved it.
Is this what you want?
You can try this out. Been working on it for a while now. Just a list of some of the more common ones.
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Here it is...not off the PA (couldn't find that) but off the drum riser.... about the 38-39 sec mark

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3ag7o_helix-wild-in-the-streets_music

Now, that was back in the day. He doesn't dive off PA systems anymore as he is just over 50 years old, but he still has the somersault thing happening around 1:55.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnIuI3FHDMo&feature=related

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Fretting overhand is pretty flashy. Stand next to your bassist or lead guitarist during a break or something and headbang in unison. Maybe pull the mic to you during a riff that you can just tap with one hand.
Page 1 of 2