Hi Everyone,

My parents have agreed to by me a new amp. They want to spend $1300AUD. I'm tossing up between a fender hot rod deluxe and a peavey classic thirty which are both $1300AUD but the fender comes with a footswitsch. I went into my local music store yesterday and the salesperson recomended the Fender. The only thing I'm concerned about is the gain. I want to get a similar sound to Smashing Pumpkins, particularly Gish/Siamese dream. So in summary:

Which is better?
Do I need more gain?
If so would a pedal, say Big Muff, cover it?

Thankyou for your time and I hope i havent left any details out.
Classic 30+Tube Screamer.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
THe 30 would be better for any overdrive since the Hot Rod is basically a clean only amp.

I would get the Classic because the cleans are good and the overdrive is borderline great. Just get a Muff to get that fuzzy Pumpkins sound when you need and use the amp OD when you need anything else.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
THe 30 would be better for any overdrive since the Hot Rod is basically a clean only amp.

I would get the Classic because the cleans are good and the overdrive is borderline great. Just get a Muff to get that fuzzy Pumpkins sound when you need and use the amp OD when you need anything else.

+1, look for one used and you'll have some money for a nice muff and an OD which is should be a staple in everyones rig IMO. The more the better.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
check out the peavey delta blues amps too

they are similar to the classics and in the same price range

and yeah you need some sort of distortion pedal, however, a tube screamer isn't an overdrive pedal

big muff should cover it
Quote by sigur_ros6
check out the peavey delta blues amps too

+1

and yeah you need some sort of distortion pedal, however, a tube screamer isn't an overdrive pedal

Um, no, he doesn't need a distortion pedal and the tubescreamer is an overdrive, pretty much the staple of overdrives.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
oops i meant tube screamer is overdrive pedal

check out the vox distortion pedals as well they are really good
Quote by sigur_ros6

????

EDIT: you caught it. nevermind.

Yeah, I actually think a Big Muff and a Tubescreamer would be nice...

Another Edit: or fuzz face+TS...or fuzz pi+TS
you get the point. fuzz and overdrive.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Sep 14, 2008,
yeah sorry about that, i have a tube screamer, and a peavey delta blues, but you definitely need a distortion pedal if you go with a delta blues or hot rod
Yeah, for the Pumpkins you're gonna need some sort of distortion/fuzz.

Hey, look. That's exactly what the Big Muff is.
Yeah, get the Classic 30 with the Big Muff(and possibly a Tubescreamer if you want a nice little OD boost)
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Wow, thanks guys, great response. Sounds like the classic 30 is for me, ill check it out. Also how much are the Big Muff and the tube screamer?
What is the major difference between the big muff and metal muff, other than the obvious fact that the metal muff has more gain?
I don't live in Australia. But...I know you guys have prices jacked up. They are $79 and $99, respectively, in the US.

Don't judge me.
^Metal Muff has top boost and 3 Band EQ. Big Muff does not.

Don't judge me.
Quote by tona_107
What is the major difference between the big muff and metal muff, other than the obvious fact that the metal muff has more gain?

Metal Muff is for metal and the big muff is more of a fuzzy sound to it. You don't want the metal muff I bet.
Didn't Corgan use a Russian Big Muff?

I'd say go with the C30 and grab yourself a EHX Big Muff and it should get you close to a Pumpkins-esque tone.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Metal Muff is for metal and the big muff is more of a fuzzy sound to it. You don't want the metal muff I bet.

omg u have a crate v16 LOL!!!!
Seriously though, I'm getting a crate v18 (what I imagine to be comparable to your palomino) and I play a lot of muse and tool and stuff similar to that, and I'm also really stuck on what pedal to get. Think you can help me out?
Last edited by tona_107 at Sep 15, 2008,
tona_107, I would go with some kind of overdrive pedal. I've a Bad Monkey to go with my V32, and it works pretty good.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
For Gish/Siamese Dream - era Smashing Pumpkins, I believe Billy Corgan used his JCM 800 2203 head boosted with a Big Muff (one of the original Triangle models I believe) for the distorted parts, so an EL34 based amp with a high gain fuzz pedal should do it.

Peavey Classic 30 + either a EHX Big Muff varient, or a Cusack Screamer Fuzz. I'd actually suggest the latter, since it's basically a TS808 with a Fuzz built in, so you get that warmth and crunch but with the midrange and articulation to cut through. In all honestly, I think the Big Muff would be overkill, since a cranked Classic 30 yeilds some really crunchy sounds, so just a little boost over the edge, plus the added fuzz you can use with the Screamer Fuzz, would work really well.
Last edited by RG_FANMAN at Sep 16, 2008,
Quote by GuitarGuitar
Hi Everyone,

My parents have agreed to by me a new amp. They want to spend $1300AUD. I'm tossing up between a fender hot rod deluxe and a peavey classic thirty which are both $1300AUD but the fender comes with a footswitsch. I went into my local music store yesterday and the salesperson recomended the Fender. The only thing I'm concerned about is the gain. I want to get a similar sound to Smashing Pumpkins, particularly Gish/Siamese dream. So in summary:

Which is better?
Do I need more gain?
If so would a pedal, say Big Muff, cover it?

Thankyou for your time and I hope i havent left any details out.

The fender has better cleans but pretty bad drive imo. The classic 30 has great drive, a good amount of it and good cleans. So definetly that for you