so im in college for music industry so i can get a degree as a producer and im taking bass lessons as my instrument major...now i can play well (not a prodigy but i know my way around a bass) but i cant read standard notation so my instructor kidna assumed me as a noob until i jammed something while he was looking for book and then he realized i know what im doing...

anywho..he told me im good but i need to learn the basics cause i've developed bad habits being self-taught. like i need to keep my thumb on the back of the neck and my hand open since i tend to pull my thumb close to the low e and my palm within centimeters of the other side of the neck...also i fingerpick with my fingers arched but he wants me to keep my fingers almost straight and pull with like the fleshy part of my fingers and end up resting my finger on the next string after i hit it.

my question: is it really that necessary or just his opinion that he's trying to get me into...cause ive seen professionals play the way i do
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Get a boner and slap your school doctor in the face with your penis.

It'll be funny.

Haiku by of friend of mine:
Fat guy play the bass
Get your jam on, get your jam
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
when you say professionals, are you talking about flea?

because he was self-taught

and learning the proper way might make it easier and more economical to play
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
when you say professionals, are you talking about flea?

because he was self-taught

and learning the proper way might make it easier and more economical to play

flea, stefan lessard, cliff burton at times...some others too.

it might be economical once i get used to it but i cant play any of my bands set in this new technique cause i f.uck up being not used to it so im just wondering is there really anything wrong with my way of playing?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

It'll be funny.

Fat guy play the bass
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
If you get the sound you want then stick with it but it's not the correct practice. It's like driving - who looks in 5 mirrors BEFORE indicating once you have passed your test?
Signed.
Your teacher's right I'm afraid. You habits go beyond the realm of personal technique into actually being a huge detriment to your playing. No one says you have to start using the technique right away, get used to it and then implement it.
technique makes your playing 10 times better. get better tone out of the fleshy part of your fingers.
This is considered the norm for Techniques,

I find it the easiest way to play,

Though I play around with a few other techniques like slap, pick and a thumb and finger-picking technique

I just use them when I feel they are needed.

My advice, Learn as many techniques as possible, for producing puroses this will get you the most variety of tones.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
The thumb behind the neck is a definite must. One fret per finger too, both of those actually make it easier to play fast and accurately once you get used to them because you get better control and familar motion.

I'd definetly say listen to this guy as far as technique goes, especially if you're a fan of Stefan, a lot of Stefans lines have a heavy jazz and upright bass influence and proper technique makes it alot easier to play more intricate lines. If you're happy playing simple root based or pentatonic lines, you can ignore technique to an extent, but if you actually want to be an intelligent bassist who can come up with good lines, learn it.

I wouldn't say that sight reading is necessary, but it makes learning theory a lot easier.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
Wait, this is scarying me. You're supposed to have your fingers straight when playing?
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
^They call them walking lines, not clawing lines. Don't completely lock your knuckle out, but don't curve them too much either. You get less string holdover on your finger and it balances your playing output level wise if it's more of a smooth motion than the kinda frantic stuff you get if you try to play faster stuff with your finger bent too much. Remember to keep your fretting hand and picking hand loose and relaxed while you play would be the best way to put it i guess.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
okay thanks everybody...im picking it up quicker ive found by practicing for like a half hour of strictly new technique and its coming together.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

It'll be funny.

Fat guy play the bass
And peanut butter

Live Fast, Die Fun
Quote by watchingmefall
Flea and Cliff shouldn't be role models.
Flea's slap technique.
Cliff's tone.

'nuff said.

I loled.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
I was in the exact same position like 2 years ago. The biggest improvement in my technique was the keeping my thumb on the back of the neck. This encouraged one finger per fret and all that good stuff. I've found it extremely helpful. Once you have some basic scales down and stuff you can write a lot quicker as well.
This subject pops up every once in a while here, so Ill toss in my 2 cents I guess...

My opinion is that, unless your instructor is telling you "learn proper technique or else", dont worry about. Play however your comfortable playing. But I would suggest practicing with "proper" technique a little bit. Who knows? You might prefer it. You might discover something new or more comfortable to work into your current technique. Also, look into why a certain way of playing is considered proper. You can learn alot when you try and study as many different methods and styles as possible. Its your instrument, your playing, your music, do what you wanna do.

/out before technique nazis
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Who was is it that said:

"Do as I say, not as The Flea does"
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
The thread's been nice and calm this far, so let me Fitz everything up.

A lot of people say "learn however you want, as long as your happy. That's all that matters. If someone says otherwise, they have no factual evidence and therefore all they say is irrelevant." I say "die".

That proper techique (thumb at the back of the neck, fingers parallel to frets, one per fret) and proper picking technique will make you a faster learner, and a cleaner and better player in less time. Period. What the pros do is irrelevant, because most of the REAL players who could play circles around Cliff and Flea have their basses high and play like that. If Cliff and Flea played properly from day one, they'd have been even better. I think there's a huge difference between professional bass players and dudes who are in obscenely popular mainstream music bands.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
The thread's been nice and calm this far, so let me Fitz everything up.

A lot of people say "learn however you want, as long as your happy. That's all that matters. If someone says otherwise, they have no factual evidence and therefore all they say is irrelevant." I say "die".

That proper techique (thumb at the back of the neck, fingers parallel to frets, one per fret) and proper picking technique will make you a faster learner, and a cleaner and better player in less time. Period. What the pros do is irrelevant, because most of the REAL players who could play circles around Cliff and Flea have their basses high and play like that. If Cliff and Flea played properly from day one, they'd have been even better. I think there's a huge difference between professional bass players and dudes who are in obscenely popular mainstream music bands.

+1
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115