for some reason i often have trouble getting to sleep at nights. tonight i have spent hours trying to sleep but haven't been able to. i have eaten, gotten some chocolate milk, read some, and nothing seems to work. i want to avoid sleeping medication because it can cause dependancy and i just dont want to take pills that i don't need to. so what do you do that helps you get to sleep at night? any help is appreciated.
Try tiring yourself out. Exercise until you have no more energy, wait for your heart rate to return to normal, and try to sleep.
Quote by bass7player21
for some reason i often have trouble getting to sleep at nights. tonight i have spent hours trying to sleep but haven't been able to. i have eaten, gotten some chocolate milk, read some, and nothing seems to work. i want to avoid sleeping medication because it can cause dependancy and i just dont want to take pills that i don't need to. so what do you do that helps you get to sleep at night? any help is appreciated.

Problem.

Count Sheep. It Works.
BUT
They have to be jumping over a fence one at a time, Smiling, and looking at you sexually.

no, I'm not joking.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
Quote by InvaderTSN
Try tiring yourself out. Exercise until you have no more energy, wait for your heart rate to return to normal, and try to sleep.

no, exercise just wakes you up even more
Chocolate milk isn't great to have, because chocolate has caffeine and chocolate milk is high in sugar. Try getting something lavender scented and put it on your pillows it naturally makes you sleepy. Also, try a decaff tea and listening to relaxing music.
Quote by samick007
no, exercise just wakes you up even more

It does? I imagine tiring yourself out would've worked. If not, he could just listen to Pink Floyd.
Listen to "It's a Dream" by Neil Young. You'll be out cold before the song is over.
Go get some over the counter supplements. They're pills but not meds. Melatonin supplements, they're called. I take them every once in a while when I have to. They'll help you get back onto a good schedule so you can sleep well in the future. The only downside is that you WILL get freaky ass nightmares, and a bunch of them per night. It's worth it though.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I am assuming that byt the fact you are on the pit you are mid teens and most likely male.

This is part of the teenage years, it's very common for teenagers to experience extreme sleep deprivation due to inability to sleep, aint nothing you can really do, except exercise heaps before you sleep.

Run about a K before you sleep and you should be pretty tired.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Just turn off all the lights, lay down, and put on some relaxing music. I recommend some Sigur Rós.
Here is something my grandfather told me:

jerk off twice and you're guaranteed to fall asleep when the job is done.

hope that helps
Quote by Boogie Man
I am assuming that byt the fact you are on the pit you are mid teens and most likely male.

This is part of the teenage years, it's very common for teenagers to experience extreme sleep deprivation due to inability to sleep, aint nothing you can really do, except exercise heaps before you sleep.

Run about a K before you sleep and you should be pretty tired.

what color pajamas am i wearing lol. actually i run cross country and i run a few miles in practice on weekdays. today i stacked wood for about 5 hours. i dont think exercise is the right answer, but thanks for the help. to everyone else i will try their advice. the sheep may not be looking at me in a sexual manner however.
Listen to Better Together (for some reason it's extremely relaxing) get chamomille tea, or just warm milk, without chocolate... if it doesn't work, then read something. If it STILL doesn't work, watch Dr.House... all those med terms will get you sleepy.

IF nothing works... then read a dictionary and pick some really hard works, or read something that is in a different language.

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild and freak out and do anything they want to do." - Jimi Hendrix

"A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." - John Lennon

I'm a GIRL!
Quote by Seth Shadows
Problem.

Count Sheep. It Works.
BUT
They have to be jumping over a fence one at a time, Smiling, and looking at you sexually.

no, I'm not joking.

You officially win the internet
Quote by zObiPhiOn
I came at the

-"Oh Lars, seek and destroy my backside"
-"yeah Kirk ride my lightning!"

██████████████████████___________██████████████████████
______________________███████████████████
██████████████████████___________██████████████████████
Just find a good quiet song and relax. I recommend:

Street Spirit (Fade Out), Videotape, Pyramid Song - Radiohead
Whitewash, anything off Acoustic Shards - Buckethead
Anything by Sigur Ros.
When I go forwards

sdrawkcab og uoy
Quote by Blackholesun00
Listen to the Master of Puppets album in its entirety.

suprisingly that doesn't work
i listened to kill em all, ride the lightning, master of puppets, and justice for all, black album, and death magnetic and still could't sleep :/
so i turned on by the way by chili peppers on itunes followed by some journey and expendables
hey works for me
Dick+strings= owww
Using drugs?

Legally;

Diphenhydramine
Kava kava
melatonin
valerian root

Illegally (or w/ prescription);

Cannabis
benzos like xanax, klonopin
Opiates
sleep aids like ambien
Quote by gargamel206
Here is something my grandfather told me:

jerk off twice and you're guaranteed to fall asleep when the job is done.

hope that helps

It's gross that your grandfather said that to you, but it is so true.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by garden of grey
Using drugs?

Legally;

Diphenhydramine
Kava kava
melatonin
valerian root

Cannabis
Opiates
sleep aids like ambien

+1 to the Kava
Dick+strings= owww
Quote by garden of grey
Using drugs?

Legally;

Diphenhydramine
Kava kava
melatonin
valerian root

Cannabis
Opiates
sleep aids like ambien

wow...

wait... what?

"When I die, I want people to play my music, go wild and freak out and do anything they want to do." - Jimi Hendrix

"A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality." - John Lennon

I'm a GIRL!
Quote by tyler 417 714
beer beer beer

bleh
just hit the bottle of crown
Dick+strings= owww
smoke 1 joint. drink 3 pints. jerk off. finally, smoke a cig. you'll sleep.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Snow Patrol
Fap.

For once, this is the CORRECT answer.

Oh wait, it's always right in the pit.
Exercise a ton during the day, avoid caffeine, don't eat right before bed, read yourself to sleep.

And listen to the Joy of Painting. That's what my brother does. Bob Ross' voice is so soothing.
Ha,ha ASS! I'm a chronic insomniac, i NEVER sleep, if I had your problem, I would be psyched... but seriously, i'm not in a good way at the time... * sloshes the last of his wiskey into the back of his throat, then sobs openly into his keyboard*
Quote by IzRG350
Exercise a ton during the day, avoid caffeine, don't eat right before bed, read yourself to sleep.

And listen to the Joy of Painting. That's what my brother does. Bob Ross' voice is so soothing.

where might I find the audio at least for some of that Bob Ross. His voice is amazing
count to 100 and consentrate hard on each number that you count in your head, it takes your mind off other things and will probably help you sleep.
i listen to soft melodies. Celtic stuff does it for me usually. Piano stuff, soft melodic guitar riffs (like Metallica's Nothing Else Matters) also works.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

I recommend that this is all a placebo effect, you need to mentally tell yourself it's time to go to sleep.

Most people who have insomnia have a lot of shit on there minds and can't stop thinking about it, just tossing and turning and complaining in there head about how they can't sleep.

What I do, is I do things before I go to sleep.

Example: Smoke a bowl, play 1 game of Hitman, then listen to War Pigs by Black Sabbath, while drinking a glass of Milk. and then lay down and go to bed...

if all else fails i just beat off.

twice
I love all forms of Rock 'n' Roll, past and NOT present
lay down and focus on something inanimate in front of you. Once you get bored you'll just nod off, that is if you keep up the concentration.

If not just try a good knock to the head
Quote by bass7player21

Hi mate been there and this is what worked for me:

1. herbal stuff like camomile tea & valerian
2. relaxation music
3. insence
4. a boring book, comic or anything your not interested in
5. warm plain milk not chocolate as it is a stimulant (cocoa)
5. meditation
6. avoid coke cola and coffee, chocolate, tobacco or any stimulates

I know some peoples posts here think there funny but i understand what it is like not be able to sleep and its really frustrating and also i tried all these options before taking any of the prescribed medications. Plus that is something you need to take up with your doctor and only you really know yourself so if it becomes intolerable then explore other options. plus surf the web and see what other people say who actually suffer with not being able to sleep...also you may have alot of stuff happening in your life at the moment and that can play a big part in sleeplessness and if that is the case you may need to speak to a close friend, family member or counselor to get it off your chest.

cheers mate
shaggs
Last edited by shaggz at Sep 15, 2008,