I have been struggling with my bass tone for years. I have the sound I want in my head, but I can never quite seem to dial it in with my gear. Its getting frustrating. I either sound too flat or too thin. I'm hoping someone can help.

My Gear:
Ampeg SVT PRO 4
Ampeg 8x10
Fender Jazz bass
Sansamp 21 Bass Driver

Id like to sound like the bass player from rise against, strike anywhere, or Ignite. I play punk/hardcore, rock kinda stuff, so i need a lot of low end, and treble.

can someone tell me where all the knobs should be and also where my EQ should be set etc.. keep in mind i go through a sansamp bass driver as well.

HELP!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!
try getting as trebly as you can with the neck pickup up and the bass knob at 7.

or, mess with your tone. I'm not you, I don't know what you want.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
didnt the fitz write a blog about EQing?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
didnt the fitz write a blog about EQing?

but of course! how could I forget!truth
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

didnt he also have a graphic EQ blog...?

Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I would say, first off, that the Jazz Bass is going to be the biggest problem getting to where you want to be EQ wise, but it is doable I am sure. A P bass would be ideal, and hum bucking would work well.

You want to take your mids down some and raise you bass and treble some, but the most important thing here is finding the right place on your bass to actually play. Neck = nature. Saddle = mechanical. That is how I define the sounds. The middle is the compromise.

It is really hard to help someone get the sound out of their head over forums, find someone in your area, or screw around with it till your ears bleed.
You have a great setup, and I obviously can't make it sound good from all the way over here. The best thing you can do it just play around with it any use your ears. If you can't get a good tone from that rig, I don't think it's the gear's fault you have bad tone....

However, I have owned every article of equipment you mentioned at some point or another, so I'll give you the best advice I can.

Starting with your Fender Jazz..... get some nice new strings for it. Ernie Ball Slinkies or DR Lo-Riders will give you the best hardcore/punk tone and last a very long time. Turn up all the knobs on your bass. Use a pick, preferably something a little heavy, but no heavier than 1mm.

With your SVT4-Pro, set EVERYTHING flat. Make sure the amp is mono-bridged into the 8x10 with a proper Speakon cable for maximum volume and proper function. Turn off your graphic EQ. Next, turn up your input gain so that it's flashing while you play, then turn up your master volume to your desired level, but not too stupidly loud. Next, set your basic EQ to something you like, but don't boost the bass too much. Don't turn the compressor up more than 1/2. Finally, set your graphic EQ using thefitz's guide to EQ. It can get really dangerous here.....

Now, let's involve your Sansamp. Don't use the EQ too much, as you've already aquired a tone you like from the amplifier and you don't need to mess with it. Only use the sansamp for overdrive character.

These are the basics. Everything beyond this is up to you.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Last edited by mountaindew88 at Sep 15, 2008,
Quote by ele1122
You have all that gear, and yet you have trouble EQing?

goes to prove, you can't buy tone
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by mountaindew88
You have a great setup, and I obviously can't make it sound good from all the way over here. The best thing you can do it just play around with it any use your ears. If you can't get a good tone from that rig, I don't think it's the gear's fault you have bad tone....

However, I have owned every article of equipment you mentioned at some point or another, so I'll give you the best advice I can.

Starting with your Fender Jazz..... get some nice new strings for it. Ernie Ball Slinkies or DR Lo-Riders will give you the best hardcore/punk tone and last a very long time. Turn up all the knobs on your bass. Use a pick, preferably something a little heavy, but no heavier than 1mm.

With your SVT4-Pro, set EVERYTHING flat. Make sure the amp is mono-bridged into the 8x10 with a proper Speakon cable for maximum volume and proper function. Turn off your graphic EQ. Next, turn up your input gain so that it's flashing while you play, then turn up your master volume to your desired level, but not too stupidly loud. Next, set your basic EQ to something you like, but don't boost the bass too much. Don't turn the compressor up more than 1/2. Finally, set your graphic EQ using thefitz's guide to EQ. It can get really dangerous here.....

Now, let's involve your Sansamp. Don't use the EQ too much, as you've already aquired a tone you like from the amplifier and you don't need to mess with it. Only use the sansamp for overdrive character.

These are the basics. Everything beyond this is up to you.

Wow... you're amazing.
Quote by ele1122
You have all that gear, and yet you play hardcore?

Fixed
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by slaptasticdave
Fixed

Oh, you trickster.

I think the only solution to this problem is to give me your amp.
Quote by ele1122
Oh, you trickster.

I think the only solution to this problem is to give me your amp.

ship it to fitz. he'll no where to put it.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard