Ok so I've been playing for like 3-4 months now. I'm making a good amount of practice. And the only reason I am posting this here and not in the Basic's forum is becuase I feel I will get a better answer from here. I've read alot of posts here and they always seem to help more for me.

Anyways, my picking hand shoulder, right shoulder, gets very very tight, no where else on my arms is it tight or getting tired. But I play for a little amount of time and have to take a break to stretch out that shoulder becuase of the tension I get. How can I relax this? I've slowed it down, even slowing it done it still ends up getting tight.

Then also, my fretting hand seems to be alot slower than my picking hand, even with the tension in my arm, I know practice and biulding up slow will help, but like right now I can just alt pick faster than my hammer-on/pull-off's happen. I find this a problem and feel it is really slowing me down alot. Any help would be great.

And if this should be in the basics forum, please move it there admin. Thanks UG!!
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
Just give it time. Everything's tense when you first start; it feels awkward and unnatural. Just give it time, you should loosen up in a couple months.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
like Kartman says, once you get more acquainted with guitar, you'll be able to focus on loosening up.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Are you picking with your forearm? Only your wrist should move. I cant see how your shoulder can tighten up unless you're using your forearm.
I'm pretty sure I'm only moving my writst and not my forearm. When I look I only see wrist movement and not forarm unless of course strumming. Another thing though that I just realized in this break to try and figure it out. Is it doesn't happen nearly as much when I sit down. It hurts more when standing.

And thanks for the responses, I know I need to get more acquainted with my guitar still got a long ways to go.

*Oh side note, I lift alot becuase of my job requiring physical conditioning. Do you think that might just be it?*
MY GEAR:

ESP LTD MH-50 W/ TREMOLO
ROLAND CUBE 15X
BOSS DS-2 TURBO DISTORTION
Dunlop Ultrex Jazz III
NEW: Dunlop Dimebag Crybaby from Hell
NEW: EHX: Small Clone Chorus Pedal
As always, slow it down, find what is making your arm tense. Chances are that you're changing your technique somehow when you speed up a bit, so play as slow as you can while not tensing up and slowly raise the speed.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Take it slow, and get adjusted to the guitar.
When you first start you will want to give up, its hard "i hate this"
But just stick with it and everything will fall into place.
Quote by Kartman
Just give it time. Everything's tense when you first start; it feels awkward and unnatural. Just give it time, you should loosen up in a couple months.

True story.

It might help f you focus some of your energy on your breathing and feeling your muscles working. Try to relax yourself as much as possible make sure you breath. If your holding your breath and not breathing naturally your muscles will burn more than neccisary. Try to make sure your not over tightly gripping the pick. You said the problem is in your shoulder that could be caused my clenching the pick to tightly. Dont feel bad its not going to feel natural after 4 months for most people. Your fingers and other body parts will stretch out and become acustumed to it like kartman said. Try what i mentioned it may help.