Does anybody know the tensions for each diatonic chord in Harmonic Min? Or how to determine them? Thanks
...what? Elaborate. What do you mean by "tensions"?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
each chord has different tensions to add color, some are allowed and some are not. tensions are some variation of 9s, 11s, and 13s
Quote by tlarson1
each chord has different tensions to add color, some are allowed and some are not. tensions are some variation of 9s, 11s, and 13s

Those are extensions. You build chords with harmonic minor the same way you build them with any other scale (explained in the theory sticky). The vast majority of them are never used, as the only real purpose of harmonic minor is to allow the use of a V chord in a minor key.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
^+1

Harmonic minor is often thrown in interchangeably in a natural minor key to get that V chord.
Those are extensions.

Just for future reference, tensions is also a perfectly correct name. I know several jazz guitarists studying in conservatories in Spain that use the term tensions instead of extensions.

EDIT: The tensions that "aren't allowed" in a chord are the ones that are a semitone away from a chord tone, forming a b9 intervals with said chord tone. I like to think of it as the semitone above the chord tone but it's more theoretically correct to think in both directions.
Last edited by confusius at Sep 15, 2008,
Definatley, it makes sense.

Not that I would use the name tensions, over extensions, because not a lot of people would know what Im talking about.

Its good to know the term's can be used interchangeably though, its always good to further your knowledge of the langauge of music.

Cheers.
Quote by tlarson1
Does anybody know the tensions for each diatonic chord in Harmonic Min? Or how to determine them? Thanks

Do you know to build chords of a scale?
For argument sake, the i in Harmonic Minor would be a MinMaj7 chord. The tension in that would most certainly be a clash of two types of 3rd intervals:

One which lies between the R and m3
The other being a M3 between the leading note (M7) and m3.