Hey all, im in the middle of a strat (copy) rebuild, and ive just gotten a new maple strat (copy) neck. Its perfect, except for the fact that it has no finish on it what so ever. I can get my dad to do the finish for me as he used to paint cars and stuff, so basicly i would just like to know what everyone would suggest to use to finish it in? As well as the fret board? ive heard of fret oil? Another thing also, it has no string trees. Do i really need them? Help will be greatly appreciated

Heres a pic of the neck, if you really want to look

Yamaha Pacifica 012 W/Emg 81
ESP EC400
ESP H202
Squier Tele Standard
Strat Copy
Randall RG100SC
Boss MT2
Boss TU2
For the back of the neck use a laquer that dries realy smoothly, then buff the heck out of it so you can slide up and down it quickly. As far as the fretboard, I would go ahead and oil it. You could allways paint it, but usualy its not a great idea because covering the frets is not a slick idea, and masking them is almost a bigger pain than re-fretting (... might be bigger...)

The string trees arn't realy a must, but I would highly recoment them. If you don't have them and you strum or pick too hard the strings pop out of the nut and its a nasty mess of a sound, so best get some trees, the 2 lightest strings at least. Roller trees are good, but you can get traditional one if you preffer them.

Its allways a cool idea to match your headstock color to the guitar. ITs a minor detail that most fenders don't have, but the result is usualy worthwhile.

Cheers
Thanks heaps for that
I just dont know what oil to use? (sorry if its a stupid question)
I think i shall invest in some string trees then ! Will it matter where i put them? As long as it holds the strings?
I dont think ill be painting the head stock , i like it the way it is
This is how it should look when its done, the colour isnt exact, im going for a 50s green, like some fenders had, and i think im going to go ahead and put some emg sa's in it
Thanks alot for your help!
Cheers

ESP EC400
ESP H202
Squier Tele Standard
Strat Copy
Randall RG100SC
Boss MT2
Boss TU2
To my knowledge you cant oil a maple fretboard

you need to lacquer the entire neck, and fretboard

satin lacquer should leave a nice playing surface.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by nightwolfsden
For the back of the neck use a laquer that dries realy smoothly, then buff the heck out of it so you can slide up and down it quickly. As far as the fretboard, I would go ahead and oil it. You could allways paint it, but usualy its not a great idea because covering the frets is not a slick idea, and masking them is almost a bigger pain than re-fretting (... might be bigger...)

The string trees arn't realy a must, but I would highly recoment them. If you don't have them and you strum or pick too hard the strings pop out of the nut and its a nasty mess of a sound, so best get some trees, the 2 lightest strings at least. Roller trees are good, but you can get traditional one if you preffer them.

Its allways a cool idea to match your headstock color to the guitar. ITs a minor detail that most fenders don't have, but the result is usualy worthwhile.

Cheers

A gloss finish slows you down. Satins are faster. And I wouldn't oil a maple neck...

And spray the frets; you can scrape the finish off afterwards. if you get an all maple neck from warmoth then you'll have to do it anyway...
Thanks for all your help guys, this guitars moving along very slowly, but ill post a thread when its complete, if anyones interested. Cheers
ESP EC400
ESP H202
Squier Tele Standard
Strat Copy
Randall RG100SC
Boss MT2
Boss TU2