Page 1 of 2
Today i received my Schecter Hellraiser C-1 delivered from America to Australia all for $699.99 US, which is about $760 AUS at the time when the dollar was 0.96, so... why does it sell in Australia for 1400 when companies can Import it from the US, and make a profit, and sell it for under $800 AUS? what taxes and charges constitute the extra $600 they charge?

Also the guitar is amazing, the neck isn't thick at all... is amazing.

Is also the new 2008 model with 81TW etc.
i have hellraiser to it set me back 1500 1700 with case.
its cause of importing. we live on an island and they just want profit.
its the same with deans i orded mine online

btw whats the difference between 81tw and jsut the regular 81
yeah i dunno, which site did u order it off?

Im in Australia too, its pretty sad that i had to pay 1400 bucks for my Ibanez RG1570, and that was the cheapest price i could find anywhere, some stores were selling them for 1800 bucks! considering the aussie dollar is still pretty close to the US$ it seems very unfair, and considering ppl in the US can get these guitars for around 600 bucks!!

I guess the companies figure out what price will result in the highest profit, and theyve figured that selling fewer guitars for more expensive is more profitable in Australia

But let me know of this site where u got yours from, as ive been getting agitated with these high prices
RG's & Mesa's
Economies of scale. Australia is a very small market, demand is much lower therefore the transportation and distribution costs per unit are much higher. There's also not enough demand to warrant having a direct supply line so they likely come from a distributor rather than direct from the factory.

Schecter might shift 50,000 guitars a year in the US, they'd be lucky to sell 1,000 in Australia
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It's not the shop's fault. If it is ANYTHING like the bike industry, the distributors set the prices and the RRP, which you have to list, for the country. What the distributor sells the guitar for (and they have to make a profit) affects what they will peg the price at for a shop. And if you go in and ask for a discount, you'll generally get one.
we can't help the fact that america is a capitalist nation that runs on selling everything.
Quote by Fzau
Wait.. you had sex thirty seconds ago and now you're in The Pit?
... you sir, are sick...

Quote by timeconsumer09
Quote by ThatGuy177
I can play bass.
That's not a useless talent.
It's just useless.

Quote by e32lover

considering the aussie dollar is still pretty close to the US$

ha not anymore buddy the ozzy dollar has dropped down to 79 cents to american dollar, bloody terrible, now i cant buy thongs from america
I'm thinking of getting me one of these sometime, and I saw one at a guitar shop and it was something like $1,100 (which is pretty cheap given the prices of the instrument elsewhere in Aust.), and on online retailers it's as low as like AU$700. So that kinda sucks

Also, the 81TW does coil tapping as opposed to a normal 81.
It's a similar situation in alot of different areas.

Take Sony and the PS3 for instance. The Australian (PAL) PS3 is not a patch on the Japanese and US (NTSC) version AND is more expensive. Its not uncommon for companies to massively inflate prices to place like Australia in an effort to make their product cheaper (and more competitive) in the larger markets.

We get screwed over like this, but then again we DO get to live in Australia =)
its even worse here in New Zealand i believe its due to the shops not being able to get it direct whereas when you buy from a U.S site they get em straight from the (insert company name here) factory. You can bag a Gretsch white falcon for 3000US but to get it imported through a shop in NZ costs over 8000NZ its ridiculous

EDIT:
funny you should mention this my dads heading over to canada for a week on thursday and all things going well hell bring me back a shiny Fender Deluxe Telecaster
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Last edited by druz15_UG at Sep 15, 2008,
yea

we should make a protest about price hikes and get some factories here, i dont care about america wood. it can be hand made in oz (doesnt even have to be that) as long as it is the same quality as the others i dont care where its made
oh well on the up side we get cheap dirt bikes and cheap fuel (not as cheap as the US but still cheaper than most)
RG's & Mesa's
Seems to me that there is an opportunity here for some american entrepreneur to make some serious $$$ on the side testing and mailing guitars to us poor Australians =).
Quote by e32lover

Im in Australia too, its pretty sad that i had to pay 1400 bucks for my Ibanez RG1570, and that was the cheapest price i could find anywhere, some stores were selling them for 1800 bucks! considering the aussie dollar is still pretty close to the US$ it seems very unfair, and considering ppl in the US can get these guitars for around 600 bucks!!

I guess the companies figure out what price will result in the highest profit, and theyve figured that selling fewer guitars for more expensive is more profitable in Australia

But let me know of this site where u got yours from, as ive been getting agitated with these high prices

Lol I got an RG1570 last Christmas for $900AUD including shipping and brand new from the US.

Quote by 1ByOne
$1400 is pretty good for an Rg1570, my mate had to pay about $1600 with A LOT of heckling. I got my RG2570 for $1500 though. Has anyone ordered stuff from the US? Cause I was thinking about buying an amp from there.

I used ebay and is fine so long as you ask a lot of questions and carefully evaluate all details about the seller including returns, shipping, feedback score and history condition of item etc.

Also, I sent you an invite for the group.

Quote by 1ByOne
$1400 is pretty good for an Rg1570, my mate had to pay about $1600 with A LOT of heckling. I got my RG2570 for $1500 though. Has anyone ordered stuff from the US? Cause I was thinking about buying an amp from there.

I used ebay and it is fine so long as you ask a lot of questions and carefully evaluate all details about the seller including returns, shipping, feedback score and history condition of item etc. before you bid

Also, I sent you an invite for the NSW FTW group.

Quote by myearshurt
Awesome man, did Customs contact you to confirm it was under $1000AUD or anything?

Nope I checked out customs before I bought and since item was under $1000AUD, there was no issue for me.
Last edited by Lrn2shrd69 at Sep 15, 2008,
Quote by Lrn2shrd69
We got an economist in the house?

actually, thats common sense. Think about it, if you were distributing schecters to somewhere with a smaller market, wouldnt you charge higher so you'd make a bigger profit?

anyways, 600 is amazing for a C1. my friend up here in canada paid at least 1 grand and he didnt even get a hard case. what a retard
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
amp will kill you in postage, a guitar cost me $100

f
u
c
k

we sound like women

Edit: to guy above, if you were talking to me (dont think you were) but just in case nope.
Jamaica has pretty intense prices too. See my user title? Yeah...in my local music shop, they were also selling a Fender Telecaster for about $300 more than it's worth (the J5 Telecaster - why do they even have one considering there is ZERO market for shred/metal out here? )

Prices are in USD, btw.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
wow, i havnt noticed that sort of thing here in perth. everything i buy is usually around the AU$1000 and for what it is i feel this is pretty reasonable. like (i know its not a high end guitar, but its fantastic none the less) the Ibanez SA36 i got was $800 with a discount and then another $100 on top for the case. then there was the (again not high end but still fantastic) Vox Valvetronix 50w i got for $699 with a discount, which by comparison to all the research i've done, thats pretty reasonable.
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Quote by Lrn2shrd69

I used ebay and is fine so long as you ask a lot of questions and carefully evaluate all details about the seller including returns, shipping, feedback score and history condition of item etc.

Also, I sent you an invite for the group.

Ok thats cool since I was looking at buying from Ebay. And thanks for the invite NSW RULES!!!
Quote by Jaksar
It's a similar situation in alot of different areas.

Take Sony and the PS3 for instance. The Australian (PAL) PS3 is not a patch on the Japanese and US (NTSC) version AND is more expensive. Its not uncommon for companies to massively inflate prices to place like Australia in an effort to make their product cheaper (and more competitive) in the larger markets.

We get screwed over like this, but then again we DO get to live in Australia =)

The Australian market is nowhere near large enough for companies to be able to offset prices agaisnt it - prices are high BECAUSE it's a small market, there's not enough people to buy them and distribution costs are higher .
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
The Australian market is nowhere near large enough for companies to be able to offset prices agaisnt it - prices are high BECAUSE it's a small market, there's not enough people to buy them and distribution costs are higher .

my entire point is you can import a guitar to australia for $800 AUS, and that includes delivery and a profit, and you could save even more if you bulk shipped. So why do they sell for so much in australia?
Quote by /\AC/\DC/\
ha not anymore buddy the ozzy dollar has dropped down to 79 cents to american dollar, bloody terrible, now i cant buy thongs from america

Went up to 82 cents this morning, which seems about average.
Anyway, I got my Xiphos today. I payed $510US (shipping incl.) which at the time was about $615AUD. Yet my local shop sells them for about $1200.
Thing is though, the more we import or buy online, the more it cripples our market. And I was wondering lately, what would happen if Guitar Centers started opening down here (despite the small market and what not), would we get better price from them?
Quote by Phillitalian
actually, thats common sense. Think about it, if you were distributing schecters to somewhere with a smaller market, wouldnt you charge higher so you'd make a bigger profit?

anyways, 600 is amazing for a C1. my friend up here in canada paid at least 1 grand and he didnt even get a hard case. what a retard

you do realize that schecter is owned by bc rich right? my only confusion is why a company that sells guitars that arent really that good can own a company with better guitars that are better money makers than the company's own guitars!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Quote by Fzau
Wait.. you had sex thirty seconds ago and now you're in The Pit?
... you sir, are sick...

Quote by timeconsumer09
Quote by ThatGuy177
I can play bass.
That's not a useless talent.
It's just useless.

The issue is not the size of the market.
It's the number of wholesalers in Australia. In the USA their are hundreds of them. In Australia you could count them with one hand. They set the prices for retailers and they have exclusivity deals that stop stores in the USA exporting.

Take the RG1570 mntioned above:
USA RRP price US$1,199
USA street price US$799
Aust RRP AUD$1,795 (~US$1,440)
Aust street price AUD$1250 (~US$1,000)

Add in postage and you are pretty much on parity assuming US$1=AUD$1.25.
When it wasn't that they really relied on the exclusivity arrangements.

Try www.priceusa.com.au
It's a business in Bendigo run by a US expat. They basically buy your product online, ship it to their US address who then ships it to you in Australia. They have a good reputation too.
Quote by /\AC/\DC/\

wait, ozzy has his own currency?

And you buy thongs from the US?
Quote by steven seagull
Economies of scale. Australia is a very small market, demand is much lower therefore the transportation and distribution costs per unit are much higher. There's also not enough demand to warrant having a direct supply line so they likely come from a distributor rather than direct from the factory.

Schecter might shift 50,000 guitars a year in the US, they'd be lucky to sell 1,000 in Australia

That is the answer, yes it sucks unless you want to buy a Maton or Cole Clark. I found that Sweetwater.com have good prices and they are one of the few major US stores that ship to Australia. I recently ordered a JS1000BP (through Rich at Ibanezrules.com) but had I bought an off the shelf Sweetwater guitar it was US$1500 (approx AUD$1900) the same guitar in Australia is AUD$3500.
Quote by steven seagull

That is the answer, yes it sucks unless you want to buy a Maton or Cole Clark. I found that Sweetwater.com have good prices and they are one of the few major US stores that ship to Australia. I recently ordered a JS1000BP (through Rich at Ibanezrules.com) but had I bought an off the shelf Sweetwater guitar it was US$1500 (approx AUD$1900) the same guitar in Australia is AUD$3500. Add on the tax and shipping and you are still looking at a saving over a grand.
hmm I too dislike aus prices and im a lefty so there's even less market

I bought my guitar off ebay from US and its getting sent today C-1 blackjack FR cost me 941AUD total with shipping and case but i emailed my nearest schecter dealer and they said over here they RRP for 1599 AUD wtf!
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Sweetwater has the following on their site:

International Shipping:
Due to manufacturer restrictions, we are limited in what we can ship outside of the United States. Please call us to find out if the item(s) you are interested in can be shipped internationally. The following are exceptions to this policy (some restrictions apply for these destinations):

Puerto Rico
US Military addresses (i.e. APO and FPO addresses)
Locations that use a US Postal ZIP Code, such as Guam, The Virgin Islands, etc...
Call your Sweetwater Sales Engineer at 1-800-222-4700 for more information.

You probably got something that isn't exclusively licensed.
Quote by Epic_chef
my entire point is you can import a guitar to australia for $800 AUS, and that includes delivery and a profit, and you could save even more if you bulk shipped. So why do they sell for so much in australia?

Overheads...when you buy privately like that you're using a tiny bit of someone elses massive distribution network, namely the courier. They shift so many items that they don't need to make a huge profit on each thing.

However, once you get into having a dedicated business to business supply line shifitng a significant amount of product loads of other costs creep in. You simply can't use a residential carrier and pay residential rates - you have to start paying business charges. Plus you've got tighter deadlines, more guitars to ship out ona regular basis, more orders to process, corporate customs charges, more insurance costs, more taxes etc etc. All those things add up to more manpower and more inherent costs so it all gets a lot mor eexpensive.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

BTW I'd take a good bet that the exclusivity deals are now illegal due the FTA.
Slackboy i dont think the FTA has anything to do with that. A guitar company can sell guitars to whoever they like, just like a BMW will only sell cars through authorised dealers. Ibanez for example would probably have clauses in all the contracts that the distributors sign prohibiting them to sell guitars in other countries. Same as Alpine (car audio) they are reknown for this.

This is a very interesting thread, i think i will be making my next purchase from one of the sites mentioned above

Slackboy, yeah u r right, i was thinkn about that, lookn at GC prices, ibanez rg for 900 US = ~$1125AUD plus say 150 for postage = $1275, AUD street price $1400 so in real terms guitars are only 9% dearer in Australia compared to the USA, Oh yeah and what a coincidence, GST? 10% so before tax they are 1% cheaper in Aus then the USA!!!

But seriously im sure there are way to many other variables that i havnt considered here
RG's & Mesa's
Last edited by e32lover at Sep 17, 2008,
There are so many things people don't know about what it takes to bring products into Australia as a company. There are a lot of narrow minded (not saying anyone here is, but in general) opinions out there & it pays to do some research rather than ranting.

Here's a few reasons I've discovered: Freight. Customs. Freight again (from dock to warehouse to retailer). GST. Storage. Warranty. Advertising. Wages.... and then there's the fact that retailers in the USA pay similar buy prices to Australian *distributors*.

How can Australian *retailers* compete with US ones when the people authorised to bring Product X into the country (distributors) can't compete with US retail prices before the products even land here!?

Steven Seagull is pretty much on the money (s'cuse the pun!).

Australian distributors generally buy products from manufacturers (USA or otherwise) at prices which are almost on par with the RETAILERS of those products in those countries.

Say Musicians Friend Sells Product X & ships direct to you in Australia. Your gear is sent to a residential address & Customs doesn't bat an eyelid. Bargain, right?

Product X is sold to the Australian distributor for around the same price (perhaps a little less, but not much). Aussie distributor then needs to buy 100 of the things to maintain the relationship with said manufacturer... Aussie distributor pays customs duties (which takes the product up hugely in the blink of an eye), GST (ad another 10%), freight charges for the pallet or shipping container (this could be several thousand dollars depending on how it was shipped & what it is)... then the Aussie guys have to factor in buying Australian power supplies (if needed), covering warranty here (which you don't get by internet buys, by the way - there's no such thing as "International Warranty") & adding a small margin to pay for staff, advertising the product here & warehousing of the product here.

What a product costs via a distributor is also relative to what the Aussie dollar is on the day the products lob in their warehouses - not like when Joe Public orders from yankeedoodlemusic.com & pays the exchange rate on the day. Now that can add anywhere up to 30% on the price - just look at what's happened here in the last month or so!

I could go on all day about why products bought by Joe Public in Australia direct from yankeedoodlemusic.com are cheaper but I'm sure you get the picture. It's not about "Hey - let's be greedy & squeeze the Aussie public for some more money!" - it's purely related to the costs of bringing the product in as a business & the ongoing associated costs to do that.

Try visiting the Australian Music Association website & read some of the stories about internet sales. Sometimes you'll get a good deal, but when it goes bad - and it often does - it can end up costing you way more than you save by going to the US.

Check it! www.australianmusic.asn.au/
Buying power. When some rich Aussie who's passionate about music opens up a big Australia-wide online store and buys heaps of stock direct from the manufacturers, and charges less than Billy Hyde, Allans etc for them, then we will come closer to economies of scale (but obviously it's a huge capital outlay). Though obviously the store has to have a huge online presence to be able to promote, sell and ship nationwide and has to move its stock very quickly if the lower prices are to achieve any semblance of profitability.

oh and btw FK billy hydes, big bunch of dikheds who have almost no product knowledge and value sales more than service.
wow, now i dont think im getting shafted so much to pay 100-120 more than the states her in candada.
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
Quote by yenners
oh and btw FK billy hydes, big bunch of dikheds who have almost no product knowledge and value sales more than service.

This is just personal preference but I find that Billy Hyde is much better than some of its competitors, at least the Camperdown store is. If you ask the right people you will find out what you need to know, obviously don't count on the 16 year old saturday hired help to be the knowledge! If you go to Camperdown ask for Jamie he's a top bloke and will help in any way he can.

Oh and I regularly go to all the other shops on the strip too, I just prefer BH because it is less pretentious than Gallins and has more options. I don't like Allans in the city but Alexandria is ok.
Page 1 of 2