Neck is more for rythm stuff, while bridge pickups can be used for soloing and lead guitar
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

Quote by poipoi
Neck is more for rythm stuff, while bridge pickups can be used for soloing and lead guitar

Actually, I use the neck pickup more for lead than rhythm, and the brigde more for rhythm than lead. I like my soloing to sound really legato and clean, and I like my rhythm playing crunchy and "hard." I often switch to brigde pickup when soloing to give it more variety, or when I want more "punch" to it.
When I use the clean channel, I normally play with neck and bridge pickups.

Preferences... ^^
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
Last edited by BlisteringDDj at Sep 15, 2008,
The neck pickup sounds fuller, warmer and bassier. The bridge pickup is tighter, brighter and usually a little harsher.

There's absolutely no rules as to when you use them - it's completely up to you to choose the sound that you think best suits whatever it is you're playing/
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Steven Seagull's got it right!
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
just fiddle with the toggle switch and your amps settings to find whats good for you
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Thinking about it this way, fret a not on the 12th fret, and pick it right near the bridge as close as possible and keep picking that note but slow move your hand up to the neck as you pick and you will hear a change in the tone of the note being played.
Same goes for the pickup, the neck pickup has more bass because it is closer to the center of the string, i personally use it when playing softer prettier stuff.
The bridge position has a lot more treble and will break through eaiser, but can be a bit harsh.

You can adjust the volume of you're pickups by lowering or increasing the height of the pickup -
Low = More sustain + Less volume
High = Less sustain + More volume