At the moment, I'm on a Squier Affinity Strat. My band plays pretty much anything mildly rockish (Muse, The Butterfly Effect, Incubus, Linkin Park, Paramore, the list goes on) and while I'm happy with the clean sounds of the Strat, I'm looking for something with a little more punch on the distortion channel. On that note, take a look at the Butterfly Effect Fans group. Anyway, I've looked at LPs, SGs, various Ibanezes, various Schecters and a couple of Belmans and I'm finding it hard to come to a decision. I'm not really prepared to fork out the money for an LP, probably looking at <$1000 AUD with 1500 as a rough max.
As for amps, I don't have a bandable/gigable amp and I've really only really had a look at two: Crate GT212, Fender FM212R. The Crate ran tracks over the Fender, but I'm not entriely satisfied with it.
Looking foreward to any and all advice!
Buy an Epiphone G-400 SG and a Traynor YCV Blue. I'm not entirely sure on exchange rates, but that should keep you within 1500 and give you a gig worthy setup with a killer tube amp and not half bad axe.