Hey guys.

After seeing various builds on the forum i've been inspired to do my own build.
The actually building is probably a long long way off, my only experience is reading various threads, so i guess i've got a bit of reading on my hands for now.

I'm going to be doing a custom strat style guitar, pretty much inspired by Adrian Smiths and Dave Murrays custom shop fenders. I was going to get a Strat with a floyd rose but only having 21 frets bothered me a bit so i decided to do a 24 fret version. I was looking something for the maiden tone, and for a good jazz tone and a general metal tone too.

My initial idea is this:
Alder Body, White finish
24 fret maple neck/fretboard(thin profile, similar to ibanez rgs,not sure whether to bolt on, set in or neck through it yet)
Modified strat headstock
Original floyd rose
Either a JB or a 59' in the bridge
Classic noisless in the middle(not sure about this yet)
Hot rails in the neck
5 way switching with coil tap(wondering how difficult this is for a complete noob)

The reason i'm posting so early into this process is to get advice on the intial planning/learning stage, and for a rough gauge of the difficulty of the things i mentioned above, and advice on pickups would be appreciated.

So any help i could get now would be greatly appreciated.
If you're going to have 24 frets, you'll probably need to use a scale length of 25.5", so that the last few frets aren't TINY.

Also, consider how that will affect the position of your neck pickup. If you use a three singlecoil pickguard, you can use hotrail pickups in both the bridge and the neck positions, so that you don't run out of space.
Yeah i was definatly going 25.5" scale, and I never actually though about running out of room, guess. Would it be a problem with the actual wiring/routing to have a HSS set up in a pickguard? And i'm still not sure as to whether or not I'm going to use a pickguard, so is the pickguardless option more suitable for the HSS?
Quote by KSM_Dante
Yeah i was definatly going 25.5" scale, and I never actually though about running out of room, guess. Would it be a problem with the actual wiring/routing to have a HSS set up in a pickguard? And i'm still not sure as to whether or not I'm going to use a pickguard, so is the pickguardless option more suitable for the HSS?

Using a pickguard would be the easiest option for your first build, but obviously not having one isn't that much more difficult. It's more a question of how confident you feel to get a good finish on the cavities. If you use a pickguard, you'll feel more relaxed, because you won't have to worry about having perfect cavities or pickup mounts, as they'll be hidden. My advice would be to avoid hardmounting pickups for your first build, just so that you can chill out and have fun.
Pickguards fail IMO

the only hard thing about rear routing a guitar(e.g routing the pups and the cavity seperatly with no pickguard) is connecting the cavities together, you have to use a long drill peice and a shallow angle, and if your not careful it will come out the back of your guitar not where you wanted it, which is bad so as long as you buy a long enough drill bit, you will be fine.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man