due to recent circumstances, i might have the money to get a new bass. with that amount of money, i've narrowed down my choices to a few Fender basses within my price range. Fender because i don't want to spend more money on more basses, and Fender is a safe choice, right?

1. Fender Aerodyne
either Precision or Jazz. most affordable out of my choices. however, i'm afraid that the sound might be too thin or contemporary for me. not sure about the differences in terms of sound between the two either. btw, the reason why the precision is more expensive is because of the flame top and trans-blue finish, am i right?

2. Fender Highway One Jazz
slightly out of my price range, but i might be able to work for it. seems to be a good bass with the upgrades, and the nitro finish is a plus for me.

3. Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
according to Musician's Friend, same price as the Highway One. the block inlays are a plus, but i don't know if i'm just paying for the name, or if it matches up to the sound of the Highway One.

i'm also trying to consider the versatility of each bass. i play mostly classic rock, so tones i'm trying to get can range from punchy to nice and mellow.

any opinions/advice?

forgot to mention that it is highly unlikely that any of my local stores carry any of the above basses, so i won't be able to try them.
Last edited by chernk at Sep 15, 2008,
hmm... If you can't try them

I have played all

And I was most impressed the Highway One Jazz bass

The Jap Basses are a good call though, I have a Jaguar, Love it to pieces.

Highway One is American, so you are getting some quality there

Aerodyne would probably not suit you as well as the other two, it would be more suited to 80's rock ala Guns N Roses

Geddy Lee With the maple fretboard would give you a brighter tone, and you would be paying for some of the name, but it is a Jap bass so you arn't going getting something shoddy

You're safe with all of them, but if you get it and it doesn't live up to the expectations, give it a set-up

but TRY TRY TRY to make friends with your music stores and try and order them in so you can play them before you buy

though bottom line I'm gonna say highway one
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
the geddy is the best there, its the best sig ive played and has the lowest "price for the name" value
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
the safest option is the highway one jazz bass, like you said you might not like the rather modern sound of the aerodyne series and the geddy lee sig has a very thin neck that you might not like. I'm a complete jazz bass fanatic yet i hate the geddy lee neck it's way to thin to get a decent grip on.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
The Geddy is going to be more punchy than the Highway One. You're not paying for the name IMO, your paying for CIJ quality, a BA2 bridge, and a pretty neck.

I have the Geddy and I've played a bunch of basses and its my favorite. I really didn't like the Aerodyne P I played. I haven't played a Highway One but I've played my friend's 07 MIA and I prefer the Geddy on all levels. I'm not a fan of the finish on the Highway One basses either.
Last edited by Miss G at Sep 15, 2008,
You really have to go try them out. They are all very nice, but they are all very different. You might not like the Geddy Lee's neck, the Aerodyne might sound too modern for you.

If were going to buy a bass, blind I would go with the Highway 1. It has the classic Fender tone and feel, so you know mostly what your getting.

But you really should try to try them.
thanks for the replies!

i'm going to check out my local guitar shops some time soon, so hopefully i'll be able to find and try them out.
out of all of those i would choose the Highway one. ITs a great bass imo but i've never played a geddy so i would go with the Aerodyne next. The aerodyne is great for olde rock ive seen it used alot with older 80's bands and country bands. But the highway one is the best and safest bet there.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I loved the only Aerodyne I ever held, I played the Geddy Lee and was actually VERY underwhelmed by it.
I like the high way one I think it's a sound choice
my friend has one and it sounds great and it's really
sweet to play too if I'm even considering getting one
for jamming at home with
buy a monkey. more fun than any of those.

seriously, I'd suggest the Aerodyne, I've always liked it. though no Deluxe?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Fender Jazz 24. Hands down.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
I've played the geddy and the Highway 1. I thought they were both good. I had a very limited time to try them out, so I couldn't really decide which I liked more (actually, I probably wouldn't even if I had more time). But I can say that the Highway one is a safer choice, both tonally (it'll be easier getting the mellower classic rock sort of tone you want) and because of the neck, though I didn't think the geddy neck was so bad
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by the humanity
though no Deluxe?

oh, i always thought Deluxe meant American Deluxe, which are way out of my price range. you mean something like this?

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Active-Jazz-Bass-?sku=511595

sounds good, i'll look into it.

Quote by Funkbass796
Fender Jazz 24. Hands down.

wow, 24 frets. is it this one?

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-?sku=526799

although that would be nice to have, that might be one long bass, and i'm not exactly tall.

those two seem reasonably priced, i'll consider.

but right now, it seems that the Aerodyne will be the most easily attainable bass for me, since it's cheaper and i've heard rumors that one local guitar shop carries it, although i've yet to check it out. seems like the majority supports the Highway One, though. hmm.
Last edited by chernk at Sep 17, 2008,
[quote="'Millsy[TS"]']I know its not one of the choices but I would consider a Jaguar - They're so underrated , i think there way more versatie than a P or J bass and they're comfortable to play

I have myself a Jaguar

Great bass

Had a little trouble with the set-up, the place i took it to and set it at like... 1 millimeter, then the neck bowed back.. so I've finally got the neck straight after raising the action, so now i need to lower it again, and then i'm gonna have to get my harmoncs back in

this is also entirely off topic
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by chernk
wow, 24 frets. is it this one?

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-?sku=526799

although that would be nice to have, that might be one long bass, and i'm not exactly tall.

those two seem reasonably priced, i'll consider.

but right now, it seems that the Aerodyne will be the most easily attainable bass for me, since it's cheaper and i've heard rumors that one local guitar shop carries it, although i've yet to check it out. seems like the majority supports the Highway One, though. hmm.

The 24 is the same scale length as the aerodyne. Try to try it out though. I promise it's worth it.

Things to come:
i've heard lots about the Jaguar, but i don't really like the "complicated" design with all those knobs and all.

how does the Jazz 24 perform in terms of tone and versatility? i don't think i've ever seen one in a store before.
The jazz 24 is amazing i have it and sold my xbox 360 to get it its amazing. Hands down best bass out of all of them.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by chernk
i've heard lots about the Jaguar, but i don't really like the "complicated" design with all those knobs and all.

how does the Jazz 24 perform in terms of tone and versatility? i don't think i've ever seen one in a store before.

the jag feels bizarre, like the finish on the neck is still drying.

the jazz 24 is great, I like it.

and the deluxe is a lovely creature.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

well, after visiting my local guitar shops, it turns out that none of them carry any of the basses i've been looking at, so it's impossible for me to try any of them. after asking about getting them to ship in for me, my choices have been considerably narrowed and i've revised my options.

unfortunately, the Highway One has been priced out of my reach. what's left is:

from lowest price to highest:
1. Fender Deluxe Active Jazz
2. Fender '70s Jazz
3. Fender Jazz 24

use the Jazz 24's price on Musician's Friend as reference for my budget, US$750.

i'm now looking at the '70s Jazz bass, since i noticed that the bridge pickup is located nearer to the bridge. has anyone tried this bass before? what difference does the bridge pickup's position make?
It would give a more trebly, brighter sound.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I'd get the Jazz 24, hands down. The bass is just amazing, it blows the others on that list out of the water.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
stay active. more versatile. the neck isn't as good feeling, but the sound is wonderful. Deluxe, all the way.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by chernk
well, after visiting my local guitar shops, it turns out that none of them carry any of the basses i've been looking at, so it's impossible for me to try any of them. after asking about getting them to ship in for me, my choices have been considerably narrowed and i've revised my options.

unfortunately, the Highway One has been priced out of my reach. what's left is:

from lowest price to highest:
1. Fender Deluxe Active Jazz
2. Fender '70s Jazz
3. Fender Jazz 24

use the Jazz 24's price on Musician's Friend as reference for my budget, US$750.

i'm now looking at the '70s Jazz bass, since i noticed that the bridge pickup is located nearer to the bridge. has anyone tried this bass before? what difference does the bridge pickup's position make?

All three would be good, but if you're getting planning on getting the deluxe active, you might as well spend the extra $100 for the 24. You'd be getting a far superior bass. so, if it's between the 24 and the 70's, it's a matter of taste, I think. You guys may disagree with that statement, but passive basses have their advantages. They are more reliable, because you don't have to worry about the battery dying. But don't let that stop you. the battery takes a while to wear out, as long as you unplug the bass when you're not playing it. also, you can replicate the extra treble and mids of the 70's jazz bridge pick up positioning with the active eq. Plus, I don't know what kind of pickups are on either bass, but the duncan's on the 24 are probably better than the stock pickups on the 70's jazz. Another reason why I'd choose the 24 is the very fact that it has 24 frets. I hate the fact that most fenders have only 20 frets, 21 if you're lucky. this could be because out of the 4 basses I've ever owned, 3 had 24 frets.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
wow you have some good points there. i just saw the Jazz 24 V at a guitar shop, didn't get to try it out though. the quilt top looks really nice.

btw, where are these basses made (all three of them)? i'm certain they aren't MIA, they're too cheap for that. possibly MIM?

also, it seems like the Seymour Duncan pickups on the Jazz 24 have quite high outputs. will that affect anything? and how does it differ from the normal stock pickups?

it looks like i'll probably get the Jazz 24 at this point. i think the 70s Jazz looks nicer with the block inlays and binding, but with the Jazz 24, i'll be paying US$50 for 4 more frets, active eq and Seymour Duncan pickups, so why the hell not?
I think the deluxe active is MIM the rest are MIM or MIJ, I'm not sure which. I've never used a jazz 24, so I can't say whether the extra output is from the active electronics or if the pickups are also high output. If it's the pickups, there are two possible models, the hot jazz bass pickups and the quarter pounders. The hot pickups are more growly and midrange-y. The quarter pounders are very punchy and bassy, with a great tone for metal. You can tell if they're quarter pounders becasue the poles (those metal things sticking out of the pickups) are really wide (1/4 inch, to be exact, hence the name). If the poles are regular size, I have no idea whether they're hot or vintage jazz bass pickups, I can't find the info anywhere. It's hard for me to tell from the pictures, but they look like they might be quarter pounders.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
I know the Jazz 24 is alder and I'm assuming the other two are as well. The deluxe is MIM, the J24 is made in korea and I would guess the 70s jazz is made in Japan, but again, just a guess. The pickups on the 24 are a little hotter than your average jazz bass. The effect this has? It's not a vintage bass. It's a modern bass and has no bones about it. Yes, you can get that classic passive sound (active/passive switch) to an extent, but it's an active beast by nature.
Quote by kugelspot
All three would be good, but if you're getting planning on getting the deluxe active, you might as well spend the extra $100 for the 24. You'd be getting a far superior bass. so, if it's between the 24 and the 70's, it's a matter of taste, I think. You guys may disagree with that statement, but passive basses have their advantages. They are more reliable, because you don't have to worry about the battery dying. But don't let that stop you. the battery takes a while to wear out, as long as you unplug the bass when you're not playing it. also, you can replicate the extra treble and mids of the 70's jazz bridge pick up positioning with the active eq. Plus, I don't know what kind of pickups are on either bass, but the duncan's on the 24 are probably better than the stock pickups on the 70's jazz. Another reason why I'd choose the 24 is the very fact that it has 24 frets. I hate the fact that most fenders have only 20 frets, 21 if you're lucky. this could be because out of the 4 basses I've ever owned, 3 had 24 frets.

The jazz 24 has an active/passive switch so you can get the best of both worlds.

The 24 is also made in Korea, not sure about the 70's jazz.

Things to come:
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
It's not a vintage bass. It's a modern bass and has no bones about it.

pity, i like the vintage sound. maybe i'll start considering the 70s Jazz again.

Quote by Funkbass796
The jazz 24 has an active/passive switch so you can get the best of both worlds.

really? isn't that a mid scoop switch on the front? or is this active/passive switch somewhere else?
Quote by chernk
pity, i like the vintage sound. maybe i'll start considering the 70s Jazz again.

really? isn't that a mid scoop switch on the front? or is this active/passive switch somewhere else?

The one switch is the mid-scoop switch. The active/passive switch is the volume knob. Pull the knob out to make it passive. Push it back in to make it active.

Things to come: