Page 1 of 2
OK so I live in the UK and I've been driving for just over three years...

I also smoke.

The other day one of my friends explained to me that smoking whilst driving is illegal and you can get pulled over and get points on your license for doing it.

Is this true?

And do any of you guys smoke whilst driving?
Ban this sick filth.

Smoking, whilst driving? I hope you can't sleep at night sunshine!
Quote by Jackolas
Ban this sick filth.

Smoking, whilst driving? I hope you can't sleep at night sunshine!

Jackolas: His sarcasm is maximum

amirite?
Quote by Lolcheez324
1 time i was home alone and i said i want a cheeseburger and then mah dad got home and he had a bag of potatoes
here in the US, our cops are shite. oh, and i don't think it's against the law here, either.

i wouldn't do it just because some people don't like the smell.
I dunno you can't eat while driving so...
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
I think it's true, but all the people do it anyways

I smoke while driving, but i always hide my left hand when i see cops arround (that's why i had never drive a car on Uk, but back on my country on chile, that's why the left hand)

Anyways i think that you could check an internet page with the laws of UK?

(Still interesting, as i'm living on london, would be good to know)
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
No thats not true, although i hear they are trying to make it happen.............for reasons nobody knows.
what the hells wrong with smoking while driving, nicotine hightens your senses, if anything it makes you a better driver
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Quote by rolling_stoner
Jackolas: His sarcasm is maximum

amirite?

You will never know.
F*ck that. I get my provisional license in November, and if I wanna have a smoke while I drive, I will. I'd smoke a joint while I was driving if I really wanted to as well.
A U S S I E
PFFT next thing you know playing your PSP while driving will be illegal
MAIN GUITARS:
PRS Single Cut Trem
Ibanez PGM-301
Rickenbacker 650D
Jackson RR5
Taylor 12 String acoustic
Yamaha RBX 5string bass
MAIN AMP:
Hughes And Kettner Trilogy w/ 4x12 HnK cab
Didn't Top Gear talk about this?

I used to smoke and drive but it's not illegal here. The smell was horrific though.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by TonyS42

DON'T EVEN FUCKING JOKE ABOUT THAT, MAN!!!
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by Jcore44
F*ck that. I get my provisional license in November, and if I wanna have a smoke while I drive, I will. I'd smoke a joint while I was driving if I really wanted to as well.

No you wouldn't, don't be a dick. There's a difference between smoking a cigarette whilst driving and a joint that slows down your reactions, is illegal and potentially puts lives in danger.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by TonyS42

I can't find my PSP
Quote by Lolcheez324
1 time i was home alone and i said i want a cheeseburger and then mah dad got home and he had a bag of potatoes
It should be illegal, if you're occupying yourself with a cigarette, you're not focusing on the road to the extent that you should be.
Quote by Cal UK
I dunno you can't eat while driving so...

wtf country do you live in, 1930's Germany?

Quote by Ed Hunter
There's a difference between smoking a cigarette whilst driving and a joint that slows down your reactions, is illegal and potentially puts lives in danger.

Been in a car with a stoned driver. At night. In a construction zone. Doesn't happen like that.

Quote by BrianApocalypse
It should be illegal, if you're occupying yourself with a cigarette, you're not focusing on the road to the extent that you should be.

You're clearly not a smoker. There is absolutely nothing "occupying" about smoking a cigarette.
You're*
Quote by BrianApocalypse

+1
Plus no-one wants to buy a car that's been smoked in. They smell terrible.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by TonyS42

lawlz. sig worthy.
Quote by BrianApocalypse

You know what, music should also be banned while driving. I've noticed how sometimes when a great song comes on I speed a little bit or sing along focusing on the music.
Dancing in the moonlight

Martin D-28
Hm, I havent heard about it being illegal, but then again, I live in the states....

On that note, I think I smoke and drive more often than not. Im reallllly sure its legal here considering Ive never been pulled over by a cop even though they've seen me for sure.
:stickpoke

Baby, if I were biscuits and you were gravy, I'd sop you up

FIGHT IGNORANCE

"I fear for my flesh, but I fear for my spirit even more..."
Quote by Ed Hunter
No you wouldn't, don't be a dick. There's a difference between smoking a cigarette whilst driving and a joint that slows down your reactions, is illegal and potentially puts lives in danger.

Doesn't mean I'm not gonna do it. I wouldn't get completely ripped, but I'd still have a joint.

Inya, hangin' outta ya.

Aussies should get the reference. ^
A U S S I E
Eh, joints in cars=bad idea.

Not because youre high, Ive driven high many a times and anyone whose done the same can agree that it doesnt effect your driving one bit.

I just dont like the idea of keeping illegal substances in my car. Especially while driving.
:stickpoke

Baby, if I were biscuits and you were gravy, I'd sop you up

FIGHT IGNORANCE

"I fear for my flesh, but I fear for my spirit even more..."
Quote by Jcore44
Inya, hangin' outta ya.

Aussies should get the reference. ^

I don't get it.

Anyway I think by making it illegal to drive while smoking is just the next step in the plan to ban smoking completely.
Quote by kriscornella2@g
I know i wish i was as cool as you and be into Sum 41 and Taking back Sunday. Gaylord.

Quote by civildp1
you should call one of the songs, "Respecting Old People" just to mix things up.

Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
You just made a very powerful enemy BenFoffenbock.
lol, well it is in fact true, that doing anything other than concentrating 100% on the road whilst driving is dangerous.

so i don't see why smoking whilst driving shouldn't be illegal.

but by that same reasoning they could also make radios/cd players illegal, and having passengers, and talking to those passengers and sneezing/coughing and blinking.

thusly, no-one should drive... ever...
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
It's not illegal, but a police officer may pull you over for it. As it is pretty dangerous, especially if you were to drop your cigarette.

It's similar to driving and eating etc... It's fairly dangerous when you think about it, so you may get pulled over and told not to do it again.
Quote by urik

Homosexual sex for $200?
Be honest.
I'd do it. I think that I could stand one night with a man for the financial security of my whole life and the life of my children
And no I'm not gay. I'm 100% straight.

Quote by mesa5150
spoken like a true jew
Quote by guitaristdave
It's not illegal, but a police officer may pull you over for it. As it is pretty dangerous, especially if you were to drop your cigarette.

It's similar to driving and eating etc... It's fairly dangerous when you think about it, so you may get pulled over and told not to do it again.

A few years I believe a woman got fined for having a drink of water whilst stopping at a traffic light. CBA to go search for it, but I remember that being on the news.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

^^Yeah droppin’ your smoke can lead to less than ideal situations!! Speshly when it’s burning your speaker cables. It’s like shit, phat sounds, or public safety... phat sounds!!

Hakattack: You are a knob. What’s wrong with making ironic yet highly amusing jokes? Unless they’re actually playing their PSP whilst driving, what’s the problem? TonyS42; I appreciate your humour :p. However, PSPs are balls also. Xbox 360 ftw

BrianApocalypse: The brainpower used to smoke a cigarette is that minimal it won’t make a sniff of difference. If it does, you probably can’t drive anyway. I used to be a truck driver and do it all the time. I also rolled smokes while I drove my truck on the motorway... at 15k due to shitty traffic mind you but I don’t expect anyone to condone that sorta behaviour!

In regards to smoking a joint while driving – I've done it... Sucks when you drop it on the floor Now I just don’t :

Sweet, now I'm "That Guy" that has to have his 2c about everything and waste everyone's time... GO ON!! Hate me for it.
**** that shit...technically you aren't supposed to if you are in the Army in Germany because they say you have to drive with 2 hands...which very few people do, but I smoke and drive all the time, never ****s with me. I drive a manual also...
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Music is totally distracting sometimes when I'm driving. In fact yesterday I almost ran into the back of someone cause I was rocking out to a song.

But smoking is distracting in an active sense - i.e. you have to ****ing hold the thing first of all, meaning you're driving some/most of the time with one hand, which is never that good an idea when you have to turn suddenly to avoid hitting some idiot child who's run into the road - whereas listening to music is totally passive. It distracts your brain maybe and your reaction time maybe decreases as a result but your action time is still the same as you have all two arms free to handle any maneuver necessary.

Smoking, like having a phone conversation, is dangerous because your holding up a limb that could potentially make a difference if an emergency where to occur. And anyone who says "I drive with one hand all the freaking time" is just a posing little prick who needs to grow up. Driving a car isn't a luxury, it's a responsibility - especially when you wind up in court because you ran over someone's father/mother/daughter/son.
Quote by tommyt
you see what youve done draken youve unleashed airplay upon unsuspecting teens, damn you and your self righteous reportyness

buttsecks?

"Cookies? Who said you could eat *my* cookies?!" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
^ You don't need to hold the cig, just keep it in your mouth. Problem solved.

Quote by crackhutch
I drive a manual also...

Congratulations? I've never driven an automatic.
Dancing in the moonlight

Martin D-28
Last edited by Chips- at Sep 15, 2008,
Quote by airplay
bllaaaaaaaaaa shipity blaaurgh

No. Driving isn't a responsibility. It's a game. and cars are toys. Don't you take in what gaming companies the world over have been drilling into our heads since the original Gas Hog on Atari?? Christ, kids these days...

Sweet, my most bullshit post yet... I'm getting good at this...

Honestly though, I hear ya, but the thing with smoking is, you don't need to drive with one hand, except to raise the smoke to your mouth temporarily. I did used to drive with one hand alot. Sometimes no hands whilst I played the guitar... But you can call me a dangerous driver, asshole, poser, whatever you like for that, it's blatant stupidity, based on assumption and misguided self evaluation. Now I don't drive at all coz it's too 'spensive and I'm a broke ass student...
Quote by saphrax
It' s legal to smoke and drive in the UK.

There was talk of making it illegal, but nothing ever came of it.

All those non-smokers / anti smokers, go foxtrot oscar will ya?
Big +1
I've never heard of that, course I don't live in the UK. I don't see it to be as distracting as cell phones but still...I don't do anything while driving but driving. I smoke too, but I never do while driving. I can't take any distractions...no damn kids in my car ever.
"Oh, it's just you." - Famous Last Words
I wouldn't like anyone smoking in my car...
It'll destroy the fresh luxurious smell of my new Aston Martin!!
Page 1 of 2