ok, the Bm scale on the 5th string, if you continue up the neck one position up it becomes C#maj, right? if so, then what is that C#maj scale called? if you're technically still playing in Bm just une position up. I hope i make sense.
i'll try to rephrase it, lets say you're soloing in bm on the 5th string, but you move it a little up the neck but stay in key (bm) just higher notes that are in the bm scale, but i've noticed that one position up from the bm sace on the 5 string has the shape of a major scale, ill try to tab it:

-7----9 10|---12
   -7-8----10|---12
 -6-7--- 9---|11-12
   -7--- 9-  |   12
   -7--- 9 10|   12
   -7----9 10| 

Bm | excluding the 6, 7's and 8, there another scale couple notes higher coming after Bm scale
Last edited by paquito at Sep 15, 2008,
The second position of a Bminor scale would be C# major (or Ionian mode). Im pretty sure about this however your best bet would be to take a look online to see for yourself. Sorry I couldnt help any further.
All scale patterns represent multiple scales.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by CobAtr
The second position of a Bminor scale would be C# major (or Ionian mode). Im pretty sure about this however your best bet would be to take a look online to see for yourself. Sorry I couldnt help any further.

yeah it has the shape of a c#maj scale, thats what i was wondering, but by you playing the c#maj scales over a song in Bm, are you still play in the key of Bm?
Quote by paquito
yeah it has the shape of a c#maj scale, thats what i was wondering, but by you playing the c#maj scales over a song in Bm, are you still play in the key of Bm?

You're still be playing in Bm, cuz that's the tonal centre.....and B Minor is the relative of D major, not C# major.
Quote by paquito

You are not playing C#maj, you are playing Bm. Scales are not box shapes.Every scale spans the entire fretboard.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
C# Locrian contains the same notes as Bm. They are relative scales. Unless you begin playing in D major, you have changed key completely using a new major scale.