So we were in the studio on Saturday finishing off our EP and i had this gorgeous tone set up on my AC30 with the amp absolutely cranked out. It had enough gain and a ballsy enough tone for the song we were recording but when i listened to the recording it seemed i had lost a lot of the gain and ballsyness of my tone. I'm wondering if this is because the amp just sounds better and more gainy when you're sitting in the room with it or is it just that the recording technique was wrong?
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
A room mic is nice to have if you are in a properly treated studio however mic placement with one SM57 or similar mic should sound great if you set it up properly.
Also you dont need as much gain when recording so try turning down that a little and see what you get.
as far as mic technique goes, just experiment
I've had really nice results with a 57 on the centre cone capturing the crunch and a nice condenser on the edge of the cone which boosts the warmth. I've also had good results with a 57 a couple of inches from the centre of the cone and a condenser inside the back of the amp and out of phase with the 57 if it's an open backed amp.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by moody07747
A room mic is nice to have if you are in a properly treated studio however mic placement with one SM57 or similar mic should sound great if you set it up properly.
Also you dont need as much gain when recording so try turning down that a little and see what you get.

Well as for not using as much gain, i had the amp completely cranked but on the recording it sounds pretty clean and a lot of the crunch seems to be gone. It was recorded with just one SM57 which was placed a few feet away from the amp. The room we recorded the amp in was a small room which had a really gorgeous sound, it made the amp sound twice as ballsy but it just didn't come out like that in the recording
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Put that 57 on the grill of the cab. The closer to the center of the speaker you get the more treble you have, so experiment with placement.

http://www.imperialmastering.com/guitartonevid/
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
IMO, the AC30 is one of the most hardest amps to record. I have one myself and i have to get the mic placements just right. What i find sounds really good is mic each speaker with a 57, then about 2 feet back, right in the center of the two speakers, put a condenser. This is if you have the 2x12 version of course.
Gear:
Epi Les Paul Custom w/ 57 classic plus & burstbucker pro
Gibson SG Limited Edition, Crescent Moon Inlays
Dr. Z SRZ-65
Egnater 4x12 cab w/ Vintage 30s
Wel we did just use one 57 about 2 feet away from the amp, i mean the tone wasn't bad but it just seemes to lose so much gain. The recording is completely finished now anyway, we just ran the AC30 through a JCM800 setting on Amplitube for a little extra grit, it came out ok in the final mix but nowhere near as nice as it sounded out in the room. I guess i'll just have to spend more time experimenting with it
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90