Hello

The strings on my electric guitar are about 4-5months old and they just dont have the same ''GO'' as they did before they sound kinda dull like theres no presence.
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Depends on how much you play, but Id say once every 2/3 months.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
Unless you like playing with dead strings (some bass players actually do), change them when they sound dead or have no presence. How often depends on your playing style and how often you play. Four to five months is pretty long between string changes though.
4-5 Months!!! OMG they must be horrible to play.

Are they Rusty and really dirty???

I change mine every 4 weeks but all depends on how much you play really.
Quote by Nothingface
4-5 Months!!! OMG they must be horrible to play.

Are they Rusty and really dirty???

I change mine every 4 weeks but all depends on how much you play really.

Hehe ok every 2-3months i play like 30min-1hour a day.
Their not gritty ore rusty just ''dead'' iam no gear freak ore anything like that,it hasent sprung to mind untill few days ago,when i changed strings on my acoustic i realized how weak my electric sound in comparison.
But ill probaly head dwon tomorow and pick up a set of new strings

Thx All..
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
Ive been playing guitar for like 9 months and ive never changed my strings,basically because im to lazy, but also because i dont know how often i should
I tend to change my strings ever 3-4 weeks but only because buying strings is my GAS release valve.

When the GAS pressure gets all too much then I buy a new set of strings and that keeps the beast quite for a little longer.
Quote by valdean
Depends on how much you play, but Id say once every 2/3 months.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2/3 months, yeh if you want an absolute shit sound. If you're a descent guitarist you would practice at least half an hour to an hour a day, 7 days a week. You fingers sweat when you play and this is very acidic to the strings, which makes them wear out. I have 2 hours band practice twice a week, so 4 hours. Then i practice at least an hour a day. So 11 hours a week minimum. After 2-3 weeks my strings start to rust, so I change them.

For people who don't play as much I would still change once a month. Have you ever had a same set of strings on for a long time, then changed them and played. The sound is so much better and calmer on your ears.

So for any guitarist AT LEAST once a month. Also learn how to change yourself
<|ĐÞŞ|>
Dead Puppy Society
=When the going gets tough, the tough get going=
Quote by Nexium

But ill probaly head dwon tomorow and pick up a set of new strings

Thx All..

Might wanna pick up a few sets, in case you break one or something..
Oh man i just changed strings and the guy in the local musicshop recomended me to step it up a notch in string gauge so i got Jimi Dunlop 10Gauge and man the diffrence is Huge!
it's like day and night.

I love the sound and how theres so much more Tension in the strings now
Quote by KingJak236

Quote by Kensai
Did you adjust the bridge to your new strings? (intonation)
I play for about 4 hours a day so I'm lucky if my string last me 2 weeks. Oh if a string breaks, replace the whole set (unless you break them very often) because the thinner strings snap more and If you only replace the broken ones, you could end up with realy rusty dull thick lower strings but with shiny thinner strings.
who has the money to change their strings every 3 months? or 4 weeks for that matter?

just asking.

well i guess working teenagers who have nothing better to spend it on
my strings are ****in rusty,heck they started to rust just after two weeks,
but i play for 4-6 hours a day ,sometimes more..
its been like 2 months now since i changed them..
better go the music store sometime this week
Quote by Superstrat101
who has the money to change their strings every 3 months? or 4 weeks for that matter?

just asking.

What? A pack of string is like $6, even decent ones. How is it hard to come up with an extra $6 every couple months? (granted I haven't changed any strings in about 4 months....they're starting to need it.)
Right now I just got back into playing A LOT, and I end up changing my strings every 2 weeks.
Quote by Oxac
Did you adjust the bridge to your new strings? (intonation)

I didnt make any adjustments,they sound good and theres no fretbuzz
Quote by KingJak236

Quote by Kensai
Quote by Superstrat101

just asking.

hooray for disposable income!

I change the strings on my acoustic about once a month/3 weeks, and on my electric about every 2 months
Anyone familiar with Elixir strings, last 3 times longer than ordinary strings They also have a lot of "presence", very noticeable on acoustic guitar, not so much on electric. They cost about $17 Cdn a set though. Its not how long they last that I like, but I they simply sound better. they can rejuvinate an old tired guitar. Also, bigger string, bigger sound, stronger fingers.
Finally, everybody's sweat has a different acidic content, I won't let some people play my guitars without washing their hands. Someone once told me a guitar neck is like the inside of your women's thigh, you don't want dirty fingers there either.
Save yourself the trouble and wash your hands before playing, and take a cloth and run it along the strings when your done playing. My strings last NEW for at least 2 months. Then they start building up dirt.
Quote by Ze_Metal
Save yourself the trouble and wash your hands before playing, and take a cloth and run it along the strings when your done playing. My strings last NEW for at least 2 months. Then they start building up dirt.

I wipe em with mentholated spirits, and the tips of my fingers. Two good things about it, it makes you finger tips go hard, and it keeps your string in good nick for a little longer
<|ĐÞŞ|>
Dead Puppy Society
=When the going gets tough, the tough get going=
depends on how much you play.. my strings rust after about 3weeks(specially the B and e string).. I and I practice about 3hours a day... so I change them every 3-4weeks.. :P

and also.. don't bring your guitar into air-conditioned rooms then taking it out.. I had my other guitar's string once replaced after just a week because my bro used it on airconditioned room then puts it back into my room after using,It's because of the moisture, it's like water, it rusts the strings
Quote by Nexium
Hello

The strings on my electric guitar are about 4-5months old and they just dont have the same ''GO'' as they did before they sound kinda dull like theres no presence.

2-3 months,but cleaning them with fastfret too... without cleaning thay last less...
Quote by leftinflinflon
Anyone familiar with Elixir strings, last 3 times longer than ordinary strings...

I have used Elixers from the start and love 'em

Quote by leftinflinflon
Someone once told me a guitar neck is like the inside of your women's thigh, you don't want dirty fingers there either.

I was ROTFL with this one....then I thought it's TRUE! Thank you for this, I will need it if someone ever touches my axe.

Chris
Quote by Nexium
Oh man i just changed strings and the guy in the local musicshop recomended me to step it up a notch in string gauge so i got Jimi Dunlop 10Gauge and man the diffrence is Huge!
it's like day and night.

I love the sound and how theres so much more Tension in the strings now

Yeah even from 9's to 10's is a big difference. When I went from 9's to 11's (now I use 10's because 11's were a bit too tight) the tone was AMAZING compared to 9's. I'm never going back to using 9's. yuck...
YEAH
i guess my strings knew that i wont replace them unless they`ll protest..
so yesterday i was playing bad omen by megadeth,and in one of the solos the high e snapped like a bitch,due to a 24th fret super bend :P
and its a floyd rose guitar so the whole tuning went to heck
yep,time to visit the guitar store