Page 1 of 2
If I were to get a new amp which kind should I get, a Marshall or a Vox? please tell me what you think is better, thanks.
What's your budget?

What kind of music do you play?

Btw, Vox is the name of the amplifier company. VOX is the common abbreviation for vocals.
^TBH though, in a form for 'guitar gear & accessories', I hardly think most of us would call a singer 'Gear'
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
There are more amplifier companies other than Vox and Marshall...
Look into Orange and maybe ENGL

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Anthony1991
Marshall because they rock.

Absolutely! The MG series is the epitome of rock tone heaven!
Quote by blue_strat

Mmmm sarcasm, fresh and tasty from The Pit.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by RATicuZZ
Yep Vox.

Quote by Spaded_Ace
vox sucks compared to marshall

£1,000 Marshall > £50 Vox.

£1,000 Vox > £50 Marshall.

We need more details, TS.
Marshall. At least with them your are gonna have several options for a great sounding amp.
Quote by MAYNARD
Marshall. At least with them your are gonna have several options for a great sounding amp.

Marshall certainly has more options in terms of models whereas Vox really only has the AC15 and AC30 along with all their bastardizations of the original circuit, but it doesn't mean that the AC30 is any less than a Marshall JTM45 or 1974/87/59.
Only which amp thread, now go away if you're not gonna be specific.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by al112987
Marshall certainly has more options in terms of models whereas Vox really only has the AC15 and AC30 along with all their bastardizations of the original circuit, but it doesn't mean that the AC30 is any less than a Marshall JTM45 or 1974/87/59.

Well the AC30 doesn't claim to be a reissue though. It's a compeltely new amp.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Budget? They sound pretty much different. If you're looking for higher gain rock and blues and things, I would go Marshall (by the way, I mean valve amps here), but for lower gain things, I'd go Vox.

Hell, if you can, get both.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I don't think anything marshall makes nowadays is worth buying. If you want marshall tone then a traynor is the way to go, if you have more money then orange is worth a shot. I'm not a huge fan of the ac30, but many people like them and Brian may gets a nice tone out of his. The AC15 is way too overprice IMO.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by blue_strat

so sigged. That is epic.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by the_wayward_one
what do you play? budget? Elaborate please.

Well I like to play classic rock like AC/DC , & alt.rock like Rage Against The Machine.
I have no budget right now but I`m gonna be savin money over the winter hopefully.
Well also Marshall seems like its more famous than Vox, but then there are other amps like Gibson, & Messa Boogie (how ever you spell it)...etc. IDK
Quote by J.Dawg
If I were to get a new amp which kind should I get, a Marshall or a Vox? please tell me what you think is better, thanks.

Do you know anything about amps?

For what you want, a JCM 800 2203 would be a good fit.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTT.

We need to know how much you actually want to spend.
Marshall isn't more famous than Vox. Marshall, Fender and Vox are probably the three historically most famous makes of guitar amps.

If you're into AC/DC, get a JTM45.
Quote by J.Dawg
Well also Marshall seems like its more famous than Vox, but then there are other amps like Gibson, & Messa Boogie (how ever you spell it)...etc. IDK

Ok, so you don't know much about amps if you are going by fame.

Not a lot of the general public know about Splawn, Roccaforte, Dr. Z, or Metropolous, but they are (in most cases) better in quality than the famous lines of amps.
sometimes it's better to jump into a forum and ask a loaded question without doing any research.

TS - you don't want a Gibson amp, that's all I can tell ya.

Seriously, let's start over and answer the questions that have been asked already.

budget? (unlimited??)
styles? (ACDC to RATM?)
home or gig?
new or used?
where do you live roughly?
what do you have now?

and no, i'm not going to go check everyone's profile to find information that should have been provided up front like the stickies suggest.

imgooley - that was not directed to you obviously, at least i hope it was obvious.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 15, 2008,
Quote by imgooley
Do you know anything about amps?

For what you want, a JCM 800 2203 would be a good fit.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTT.

We need to know how much you actually want to spend.

probably about $500.00 at the most.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
*awesome legit post*

Listen to this man. Give us more details. What bands do you play most often? Do you gig? What's your budget if you have one?

Also, it sounds suspiciously like you just want recommendations on the name alone. Do some more research. If you want Marshall tone, don't get a Marshall. Real Marshall tone nowadays comes from clone companies like Ceriatone and Metropoulos.

If you're really intent on getting a Vox, go for an AC30. They're pretty much the standard among Vox amps.

But seriously, read the stickies before you post and pleeeease give us some more information. Help us help you bro.

EDIT: For $500.00, I doubt you're going to get very far along the Marshall or Vox road. They're relatively expensive names.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by J.Dawg
Well I like to play classic rock like AC/DC , & alt.rock like Rage Against The Machine.
I have no budget right now but I`m gonna be savin money over the winter hopefully.

Marshall, hands down if you want a real good alternative tone. Vox's (especially the AC30) are more for the lighter stuff...think U2.

I'd go with a JCM800, just because the little bigger is so damned versatile.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
sometimes it's better to jump into a forum and ask a loaded question without doing any research.

TS - you don't want a Gibson amp, that's all I can tell ya.

Seriously, let's start over and answer the questions that have been asked already.

budget? (unlimited??)
styles? (ACDC to RATM?)
home or gig?
new or used?
where do you live roughly?
what do you have now?

and no, i'm not going to go check everyone's profile to find information that should have been provided up front like the stickies suggest.

imgooley - that was not directed to you obviously, at least i hope it was obvious.

Wat?

And Gibson makes some very good amps. I'd love to have a GA40.
Quote by imgooley

Wat?

And Gibson makes some very good amps. I'd love to have a GA40.

ok. fair enough. i found your amp on google.

listen, i know they made amps but i seriously doubt the TS was asking about them since he asked about Brands. I can't find your amp on craigslist but i've only searched NY, Chicago and LA so far.

sorry if i offended an amp you were after Goolz
Neither. A peavey Windsor would do you good as would a Peavey Classic 30.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
ok. fair enough. i found your amp on google.

listen, i know they made amps but i seriously doubt the TS was asking about them since he asked about Brands. I can't find your amp on craigslist but i've only searched NY, Chicago and LA so far.

sorry if i offended an amp you were after Goolz

GA40s are kinda rare. They sound pretty awesome, though. Great jazz amps.

It's a similar circuit to the Blues Custom 30, but with a SS rectifier instead of a tube rectifier.
I`m just gonna do some more looking around. I think I will go between Marshall or Gibson now, cause there quality amps that produce a very good sound.
Quote by imgooley
Ok, so you don't know much about amps if you are going by fame.

Not a lot of the general public know about Splawn, Roccaforte, Dr. Z, or Metropolous, but they are (in most cases) better in quality than the famous lines of amps.

This guy is right.

If you can afford it, I would definitely look into these, specifically the one I put in bold.
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by J.Dawg
I`m just gonna do some more looking around. I think I will go between Marshall or Gibson now, cause there quality amps that produce a very good sound.

Just out of curiosity, what is prompting you to buy a Gibson amp?

They're a bit obscure.
Quote by al112987
Just out of curiosity, what is prompting you to buy a Gibson amp?

They're a bit obscure.

I own a Gibson SG standard.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
*cough*

I knew it. Don't buy an amp based on the brand buy one based on budget, availability, music style and value.

Then how about a Marshall amp. There are some good ones at guitar center for $500.00.
Page 1 of 2