Hi. Im looking for a new electric guitar with a budget of (£600-800) for a range of styles: blues, funk, jazz, rock. So ideally a warm sound, that might mean humbukers but I'm still open to single coil pickups aswell. To be honest I don't have much idea what I want but something that can get nice clean tones.

Cheers
Probably a Les Paul or Telecaster.
Les Pauls tend to be really good in blues and whatnot.
Whereabouts in England do you live?
yeah those types were what I was thinking but do you have any specific ones you recomend I try just because that list includes a wide range of guitars that would take a long time to go through? Im from Scotland btw!
Look at Fret King's Blue Label range. All meant to be fantastic guitars, many famous copies. All are in your price range I think.

Meant to be better than any Stratocaster, Telecaster, or LPs in the same price range or in higher ranges even.
Last edited by Horlicks at Sep 15, 2008,
Quote by allycrawford
yeah those types were what I was thinking but do you have any specific ones you recomend I try just because that list includes a wide range of guitars that would take a long time to go through? Im from Scotland btw!

Whereaboots in Scotland are ya?

And look at Edwards guitars, Grassroot, Fender (Tele's and Strats), Gibson Studios (TRY THEM OUT IN STORE), Gretsch, Yamaha and Epiphone.
Cheers for the recomendations, doesnt have to be a scottish store though, chances are il try them out in the guitarguitar shop and order it online. specific recomendations would be a help though. Im from edinburgh, study in glasgow, where abouts u frm mate?
Quote by allycrawford
Cheers for the recomendations, doesnt have to be a scottish store though, chances are il try them out in the guitarguitar shop and order it online. specific recomendations would be a help though. Im from edinburgh, study in glasgow, where abouts u frm mate?

I'm in Lenzie, just outside the city of Glasgow. You've got a few good shops in Glasgow City Centre for guitars, I'll link you to them.

Reverb, ex-Sound Control. On Jamaica Street.

Merchant City Music. On Garth Street. (One of my favourite stores, nice and good selection, staff are great).

Guitar Guitar. On Trongate. Killer selection, huge store.

McCormacks. On Bath Street.

And you've listed Guitar store anyway.
Yeah i'll be tryin some of those stores out, theres a guitarguitar in edinburgh aswell but the sound control got shut down and the new company reverb didn't bother to keep it open. Sound control always price matched aswell unlike guitarguitar. Anyone know what guitars Leo Nocentelli from the meters played?

Quote by Mwoit
I'm in Lenzie, just outside the city of Glasgow. You've got a few good shops in Glasgow City Centre for guitars, I'll link you to them.

Reverb, ex-Sound Control. On Jamaica Street.

Merchant City Music. On Garth Street. (One of my favourite stores, nice and good selection, staff are great).

Guitar Guitar. On Trongate. Killer selection, huge store.

McCormacks. On Bath Street.

And you've listed Guitar store anyway.
Quote by Horlicks
Look at Fret King's Blue Label range. All meant to be fantastic guitars, many famous copies. All are in your price range I think.

Meant to be better than any Stratocaster, Telecaster, or LPs in the same price range or in higher ranges even.

+1

Super 60 HB
http://www.fret-king.com/super60hb_b.html
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Looks gd mate but duno where i'd try one of those in scotland? I think I'd want a humbuker at the neck tho for those warmer sounds aswell. Think i'll definately try the gibson les paul studio guitar. Looks well built aswell, my old guitar was always goin out of tune and just didn't sound nice even after I got it set up by someone who knew what they were doing. Thats why im lookin for a new guitar.

Quote by steven seagull
Have you thought about P-90 pickups? They're basically chunky single coils, they cover the same length of string as a humbucker does but they have the glassy twang of other single coils. They've got enough low-end response and power to do most styles up to hard rock but they also have the clarity to do typically cleaner styles like jazz (in fact, P-90's are the jazz player's pickup of choice - most semi-hollowbody and full hollowbody guitars use P-90 pickups, and jazz and blues guitarists have been putting P-90's into LP's and Telecasters for many years).

I'd suggest looking at a mid-range guitar (around £400-500), then using the left over money to change whatever pickups it has to P-90s. You can get a range of P-90s that fit Humbucker routings now, or for true P-90 tone, you could have the guitar re-routed for them (probably only a good idea with something liek a Strat where you'd just need a new pickguard - I wouldn't reccoemend it for a Les Paul that would require you to perminantly dig big chunks of wood out the top).
Alternatively, you might like to try a good semi-hollowbody - you can get an Epi ES-295 with P-90s and a Bigsby vibrato brige for around £500. I would have suggested the Elitist range of Epi semi-hollows (generally regarded as the best semi-hollows on the market, and just within your price range), however thanks to Gibson's new distrubution policy, you can't buy Elitists in the UK anymore, nor can they be imported into it. It may be worth searching for one used though.

Then there's also other brand's semi-hollows, such as the Ibanez Artcore series which is very popular on here. I'm personally more of a fan of the Epi ones (thicker neck and lower frets with a slightly fuller body, gives a more traditional feel and tone which I think is what you need with a semi-hollow), but from all accounts the Ibanez are built nicely.

Also remember this when looking at spending anything over £500 on a guitar: a £500 guitar with some upgrades is almost always better than a stock £800 guitar. Give this some thoguht before you spend all your money on one thing.

Quote by Baby Joel
No, that is not a 'very nice' Les Paul. That is one of the worst LP's Gibson has ever made. Studios were only good in the early and mid 90's where they really were just 'Standards without the fluff'. Now though, for many years, they've been decidedly sub-par (inferior grade wood, cheaper quality hardware, etc), and the quality control on them is even worse than other models. Pretty much the only models that have been deemed worse than 2000+ Studios is the Vixen LPs they made a couple of years ago that were a Studio but with the body thickness cut in half.

If you can get your hands on an older Studio from before 1998, you're onto a winner. Later than that and they should be avoided unless you're just desperate to have any guitar with 'Gibson' written on it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.