BACKGROUND

Last year, I was in NYC and played what I thought to be the nicest looking and feeling guitar I had ever come across, but didn't have the money or need for a new guitar at the time so I let it go. About a month ago, I was in Sam Ash here in CT and came across the same exact guitar (same finish and everything), so I took it down and played it. It STILL felt and looked like the nicest guitar I had ever played and sounded killer through the amps I tested it on, so I began to seriously consider it since the image and sound fit my current band perfectly.

ALMOST MISSED MY CHANCE

A few days ago, I decided to go check it out again to make the final decision, so I began calling around to see who had one. Lo and behold, the first place I called told me that the model was discontinued and I started freaking out because this really is the perfect guitar for my situation right now. I called two more places (big name chains) and they both confirmed that they didn't have them in and they were discontiued, so I was out of luck.

AND EVERYTHING IS RIGHT WITH THE WORLD

I began some extensive online searching and pretty much had the same luck until I tried guitarcenter.com. They had a few left in stock (and for some reason are one of the only sites that doesn't list it as discontinued) so I ordered it right there. Supposedly it will arrive by Friday and I'm pumped to get it setup and tuned so I can start using it. Below is the link to it with some nice pics and specs. I still want to know why Ibanez doesn't list it as discontinued but everywhere else does (I confirmed it with about seven or eight different stores). Glad I didn't decide to wait that extra month or two like I originally planned on once I made the decision.

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=S2170SE
Last edited by PSM at Sep 15, 2008,
I'm not a fan of Ibanez but that's a really nice looking Ibanez! Good buy, sir!
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Quote by iTzMaTT
I'm not a fan of Ibanez but that's a really nice looking Ibanez! Good buy, sir!

Thank you! I've never purchased a guitar online before (I typically have to play them quite a bit before making a decision), but after seeing the consistency in quality and feel of the two I played previously, I had very little trouble making the call on this one. And in my opinion, the finish on this guitar is one of the most interesting and attractive I've ever seen. I'm gonna be dying until it shows up. Now if only I knew how to set it up myself for the tuning and strings I'm gonna be using....
Congratulations on the new axe man!!

She's a beauty!
LTD EC-400VF
Ibanez RG321MHRB
2005 Epiphone Vintage SG G400
MXR EVH Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DD-7
Korg Pitchblack
Marshall JVM215C
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
looks very nice but i prefer the red finish on the new one (S5470F)
Guitar
Ibanez - S5470F
Epiphone - Les Paul Black Beauty
Line 6 - Spider II 210 - deceased :/
Blackstar HT studio 20
Farida D-8

Bass
Fender MIM Jazz
Ashdown ABM C115T-500 EVO II
Quote by !!NICK!!!
looks very nice but i prefer the red finish on the new one (S5470F)

Eh, I feel like that color is very plain. It's nice, but everyday (at least from what I can tell in the pictures - they always look different/better in real life ).
Great buy man. I own an s-series and it really is the DB for fast and comfortable guitar playing.

The 22 frets annoy me slighty sometimes, You could of gone for the new 24 fret prestiges but none-the-less, nice one!
Quote by Davester000
Great buy man. I own an s-series and it really is the DB for fast and comfortable guitar playing.

The 22 frets annoy me slighty sometimes, You could of gone for the new 24 fret prestiges but none-the-less, nice one!

Yeah, I wouldn't have minded 24 frets but it's the color of the guitar that sold me. I can deal with 22 frets, especially with the type of music I'm playing with my current band. If they made this same color on other models, I would have checked them out but this is the only one.
Nice one! Upload pictures ASAP, I really want to see this finish in real light.
Quote by Mwoit
Nice one! Upload pictures ASAP, I really want to see this finish in real light.

Will do! I'll probably post a whole review of everything after a few days of playing, as well.