My knowledge of electronics is suitable but still rather limited. What I want to know is how an amp can drive different speaker configurations. Here's my example:

Fender Super-Sonic Amp

I know the head is meant to drive either the 2 speaker cabinet, a 4-12 cabinet or a full stack of 8 speakers. Now, I've got the combo 112 and I want it to additionally drive the 2 -12 cabinet or maybe a 4-12. Now, I know the amp can do it. But my question is, how? What determines it?

Here is some spec regarding that amp that might help with the math:

Watts: 60W

60 Watts
Ohms 8 Ohms (4 Ohms with Extension Speaker)
Speakers One 12 inch, 8 Ohm Celestion® Vintage 30 Speaker, P/N 0868506001
Channels Two: Vintage & Burn (Vintage Channel has Two Switchable Voices)
Features Spring Reverb,

Two Speaker Output Jacks (for Internal + Extension Speaker),
Standby Switch,

Tube Complement 6 X 12AX7 (P/N 0013341000),
2 X 12AT7 (P/N 0023531000),
2 X 6L6GC (P/N 0053980000)
i think:

if you remove the internal speaker jack, you could plug an external cabinet with an impedance of 8 ohms into that. just make sure the cab is rated for 60 watts or more power handling.

if you want to use the internal speaker as well, leave it plugged in, and plug an 8-ohm extension cab into the other speaker jack. i *think* it would need to be rated for at least 30 watts in that instance, but i could be wrong. to be 100% safe, make sure it's rated for 60 watts (shouldn't be too hard, as long as you aren't using alnico blues or greenbacks in a 2x12 format).

EDIT: i just downloaded the manual, i think that's right. the manual doesn't mention disconnecting the internal speaker, but it should be ok anyway. if you want to be extra-cautious, just don't disconnect the internal speaker and plug in the 8 ohm extension cab to the "extension cab" jack.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 15, 2008,
The extension cabs that go with this Amp come in 2 -12 and 4 - 12 configurations all being Vintage 30's. I suppose each Vintage 30 can handle a good 60 watts if they put one in the main combo cabinet. So, I suppose if you hook up one cabinet to the amp, it'll run at 8 ohms. But, what happens if you hook a second cabinet to it, like, to form a full-stack. Will it then run at 4ohms? What the deal?
Well, according to what I understand from the manual, the combo amp can handle the 2-12 cabinet through one jack and the main speaker through the other one, since each is 8ohms, this will make the amp work at 4ohms, which is fine.

But, I guess plugging a 4-12 cabinet would not work, since that cabinet is 16 ohms. A combination of a main speaker at 8 ohms and a cabinet at 16 ohms, would yield what??
i'm not sure. just make sure the second cab you're connecting is 8 ohms, to be safe.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?