I searched on google but everythign that comes up is very repetitive and assuming that your at a certain point in the guitar building thats farther then I'm at. All i have done is gotten sum mahogony and cut the shape and sanded it down. I guess my next step is painting it but how do I go about that?

-don kappyton
You should route out all the pockets for the pickups, tremolo (if you have one), controls, neck, etc. before you paint. That way you don't mess up the finish. Also, if you haven't done so already, its imperative that you choose your scale length now. The entire rest of the guitar is decided by the distance from the nut to the 12th fret and from the 12th fret to the bridge.

So:
-Route out the body and resand it.
-Then apply your paint (I'd suggest a lacquer finish, but that's my bias)
-Next put in all your electronics.
-String it up and do a rough intonation on it, then leave it for a couple of weeks. A month would be even better if you can bear to hold off that long, but retune it every week or so to keep the string tension pulling on the neck.
-See how its moved (and it will) then intonate it again.
Whats wrong with here?

Just use car paint. First prime it, then spray on whatever colour you want. You'll need a few layers of each. I think theres a thread on it.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by don kappyton
I guess my next step is painting it but how do I go about that?

Ask in the ultimate refinishing thread, or PM Ippon, he is the refinish king.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542726

and

www.projectguitar.com ftw!

also this book should help,

Make Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Sep 15, 2008,