hey i'm looking to buy a new amp but was just wondering about a few things, first off the kind of sound i would love to be able to get is something like alkaline trio or the distillers, a 'nice' punk sound really lol. I think a valve marhall would be quite good but theres quite a few different ranges and i dont really understand the difference but i'd also be up for trying a different make if anyone thinks that would be good ???

also when i play gigs theres normally just a house cab and i'd turn up with a head and i just wanted to know if it matters what head i use on what cab if that makes sense? i'm pretty sure you'd have to use a marshall head on a marshall cab right, it's just i remember hearing somewhere that even if you use a marshall head on the wrong marshall cab it can end up sounding alot shitter than it should or is this not true?

for this reason i was thinking it would probly be better to get a valve combo and mic it up the p.a. :S

thanks for the help
chris
how much are you looking to spend?

as for the cab, you can mix and match any brand AS LONG AS THEY HAVE THE SAME IMPEDANCE or matching ohms. i am by no means an expert, but i do think i know what i'm talking about lol.

if there is a 16 ohm cab and an 8 ohm head, that should work. 4 ohm head, 8 ohm cab, should work. this is all for mono.

DISCLAIMER: i am not 100% sure on these numbers....i have only used combos....no experience with actually setting up matching heads and cabs.

so why not try a combo amp man?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Combo is ideal anyway. (Unless you prefer the "fuller" sound of half-stacks)
What he said ^ Budget, Where do you live?
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
ah cool yeah thats what i thought, it's just i remember reading/hearing somewhere that certain heads sound best with certain cabs, should still work though and could be bullshit.

erm probly looking for £700 or under but open to any suggestion, tbh i dont know that much about fiddling with settings and i dont really want anything fancy like reverb or effects, so i want the simplest amp really, i would likee the option of putting gain/distortion on the clean channel though. I play punk and ska.
Quote by LaidBack
how much are you looking to spend?

as for the cab, you can mix and match any brand AS LONG AS THEY HAVE THE SAME IMPEDANCE or matching ohms. i am by no means an expert, but i do think i know what i'm talking about lol.

if there is a 16 ohm cab and an 8 ohm head, that should work. 4 ohm head, 8 ohm cab, should work. this is all for mono.

DISCLAIMER: i am not 100% sure on these numbers....i have only used combos....no experience with actually setting up matching heads and cabs.

so why not try a combo amp man?

No, never mismatch high, matching the impedance ensures that you're getting proper energy transfer, mismatch means you are not, that non-transferred energy turns to heat, which leads to a smoking, electrical burning smell, which leads to a dead output transformer. That means dead amp, and dead not in the sense that tubes are blown or fuse is out, dead as in you better start searching for a new amp.

Unless you're talking about solid state amps in whcih then you can just mismatch whatever you want as long as you don't go below the minimum.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 15, 2008,
http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_classic_50212_black_gitarrencombo.htm
Classic 50 seems to be the most recommended all around amp (besides metal) lately. Try it.

Maybe an ENGL Thunder? H&K Statesman?

Oh. Marshall DSL401, too. Sorta a love/hate thing with those, I think. Try one to see how you feel.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by al112987
No, you mismatching high will fry your OT. That means dead amp, not in the sense that tubes are blown or something like that, dead as in dead. Period.

Unless you're talking about solid state amps in whcih then you can just mismatch whatever you want as long as you don't go below the minimum.

thanks al. EVERYONE DISREGARD WHAT I SAID. I AM A FOOL!

anyway, £700...thats like 1400 USD correct?

I'd say try some laneys, marshalls, Peavey Classics, maybe the peavey XXX...i'm actually kind of stumped for this one. Id say maybe a Laney VC 30? or is it the LC that is more modern voiced? Idk.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
ah awesome thanks for the suggestions, i quite like the look of that marshall, unforutanetely im from guernsey and don't really have the convenience of trying loads of amps as we only have one decent music store and it's quite small.

what are orange amps like for punk??
^ probably pretty good. the problem is for the ska- assuming you're talking about the rocker 30, its clean channel is very warm/dark-sounding. worth a try if you can find one, you might like it. i haven't been to guernsey, but i've been to jersey a couple of times and am aware that it's a little isolated... really nice place though.

Quote by Supertophe100
ah cool yeah thats what i thought, it's just i remember reading/hearing somewhere that certain heads sound best with certain cabs, should still work though and could be bullshit.

erm probly looking for £700 or under but open to any suggestion, tbh i dont know that much about fiddling with settings and i dont really want anything fancy like reverb or effects, so i want the simplest amp really, i would likee the option of putting gain/distortion on the clean channel though. I play punk and ska.

oh yeah, certain heads will sound "better" with certain cabs (not necessarily the same brands, of course) as some cabs are "better" than others. a lot of it is subjective of course, and dependent on what tone you're trying to achieve.

i'm not too well up on punk and ska to be honest, i suspect anything with a decent rock-style distortion and a nice clean channel should be cool- something like a laney tt head, vh100r, marshall jvm, engl screamer/blackmore head, etc. a vox ac30cc might be worth a look too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?