So I've been looking at getting a Bugera amp. I'm in desperate need of an amp after my RG75G2 decided to die right after I joined a new band. I've been looking around for a good high gain combo or head and my search has brought me to Bugera, specifically the 6260.

I have, at the very most, $1000 to spend on an amp. That's pushing it too, since I have no income right now and I need to make my money last until next semester ends.

My question is this: I know Bugera amps are not the most sturdy things in the world, but are they at least reliable if treated with care? I'm not going to be doing any sort of touring with it, just local stuff for the next year or two.

Also, would you guys recommend a head and cab or a combo? I've been keeping an eye on the classifieds to try and snag a Peavey (5150 or a 6505) but I'm keeping my options open. I'm heading over to the music store today to try a Bugera out, but I'm not going to make any decisions for a week or two at the least.

Halp plox.

EDIT: Musical style is a sort of tech death/deathcore.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
Last edited by x_themetalfan_x at Sep 15, 2008,
I personally like the 333xl better. The gain was really tight and smooth. I'm sure Bugera will hold up well if you treat it right though. It's just not my style of tone though.
I'll give that one a try if they have it. If not I'll wait until they get one in stock.
Rig

With 1000 USD you can do better, a peavey 5150, or triple XXX, or mabe a JSX if you go used can all easily be had for less than $1000. This way you would not have worry about it breaking. I have even seen Single Rectifiers go for around 850-900, although that is on head form, so you would need a cab.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
I hate when people come in and say that the Peavey XXX or 5150 is better than the bugera amps....

Honestly, Bugera amps are just as good tonally, if not better. Also, the reliability is not THAT much of an issue.... 7 out of every 300 or 400 amps goes bad.... think about it......

Bugera is totally worth it IMHO.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
^If he gets a used 5150 he's getting better quality (I'm not a bandwagoner and saying the bugera will break, but peaveys are known for being road worthy) and it probably won't have stock tubes so it will sound better than the crap tubes bugeras come with.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Here's the deal with Bugera reliability:

These amps are engineered just fine...solid as a tank...the catch...Assembly...

...the little chinese boys and girls sometimes forget to solder and screw stuff tight. When these amps fail, it's within the first week. Very easy to replace under warranty or thru online "trial periods".

Also...have a set of back-up power tubes...I haven't had one fail yet, but it's a good idea anyways.

Otherwise...just like someone said earlier...sonically - these amps are on par, if not even BETTER sounding than amps three times it's price.

They can hold own up against Mesa, Marshall, Peavey, Orange, Laney...etc etc etc.
Last edited by BeerChurch at Sep 15, 2008,
I'm headed to Axe Music right now to try some amps out. I'm not buying anything today (if I can resist ). Thanks for the tips guys, keep them coming. I don't want to spend every penny I can squeeze out of my budget just to get an amp that I don't like/doesn't work.
Rig

Quote by Brendan.Clace
I hate when people come in and say that the Peavey XXX or 5150 is better than the bugera amps....

It because they are proven, One of my friend played a peavey 5150 for over 1000 shows before he traded for a rectifier, and he bought it used. So really there is no telling how many hours that amp had on it, it was only in the shop for tube changes. I've had my Triple XXX now for 4 months and have played at least 50 shows, zero problems. Its just that the Bugeras are still a new amp and are not proven to be as road worthy, tone is subjective, I think the Triple and the 5150 blow them out of the water.
Also I would rather have an amp that doesn't break out the box because it was "put together poorly" also I am sure that they had to cut corners on parts to bring it down to this price level. So keeping that in mind I will stick with my good old American made Peavey.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Last edited by Johnbryant at Sep 15, 2008,
I've had my 333XL head and cab for about two months now and it's never given me any problems.

I baby my gear, though.
b52 AT 60 watt combo i think it's a 2x12 and much less that the peaveys
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Quote by Johnbryant
It because they are proven, One of my friend played a peavey 5150 for over 1000 shows before he traded for a rectifier, and he bought it used. So really there is no telling how many hours that amp had on it, it was only in the shop for tube changes. I've had my Triple XXX now for 4 months and have played at least 50 shows, zero problems. Its just that the Bugeras are still a new amp and are not proven to be as road worthy, tone is subjective, I think the Triple and the 5150 blow them out of the water.
Also I would rather have an amp that doesn't break out the box because it was "put together poorly" also I am sure that they had to cut corners on parts to bring it down to this price level. So keeping that in mind I will stick with my good old American made Peavey.

I would agree about the out of the box chances, yes

But I will not agree with american build quality versus korea, japan and china. All Gibson's are now CNC'd as well as all the PRS's as well im sure that all the peavey amps are made on an assembly line, same as china. I believe that the only way you are gettting the same quality as the "classic" amps and guitars is if you go boutique or custom shop (even with custom shop gibs and prs's are cnc cut etc)

The only quality difference will be in parts. Really.

For the price+tone ratio Bugera amps rape face.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Alright, a bit late on this but better than never.

I went to axe as planned to try these things out. I didn't get a whole lot of time with them, but I really liked what I heard. Crushing, brutal, clear distortion that really felt great to play, even at the lower volume level I was at.

I got to chatting with the guy who works there (I know him) and he asks me what I'm there to play (off in a different section of the store now). I told him what I was looking at and he said he really didn't want to sell me one. They've had many of them fail after minimal use and even some that arrived dead. I trust this guy and the techs give the same story.

Long story short, I'm looking for a used 5150 now. I might be able to pick up a 5150 II with the cab for $1000.
Rig

Quote by Brendan.Clace
I would agree about the out of the box chances, yes

But I will not agree with american build quality versus korea, japan and china. All Gibson's are now CNC'd as well as all the PRS's as well im sure that all the peavey amps are made on an assembly line, same as china. I believe that the only way you are gettting the same quality as the "classic" amps and guitars is if you go boutique or custom shop (even with custom shop gibs and prs's are cnc cut etc)

The only quality difference will be in parts. Really.

For the price+tone ratio Bugera amps rape face.

Mabe so, but from my experence you get want you pay for, and I had bad experence with China made stuff, I know sometime thats the only option if you want a certain product, but I have the choice I pick USA made equipment. Even more so for my music because I want it to have as little chance of failing as posible. From my experince, quailty control on the China goods sucks, they let a lot of mistakes come right out into the public, thats the problem with most of these products. Also there is some stuff a computer cannot do, all amps require some ponit to point wiring that can only be done buy human hands, as well as a lot of the assembly, not to mention running the computers who do the work. So buying USA stuff still gives jobs to Americans. Not to get off topic but take Apple computer Co. their stuff is all assembled in China, but the they are all check out here in the US before they go out to the public. Most all of the referbished stuff they sell is brand new but didn't make the cut and they repaired it and no longer can sell it as new. But they use quailty componets, so really that not a fair comparison. I not saying that bugeras suck becasue they are made in china, I am saying you get what you pay for, and the Peavey stuff is tough as nails.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
Alright, a bit late on this but better than never.

I went to axe as planned to try these things out. I didn't get a whole lot of time with them, but I really liked what I heard. Crushing, brutal, clear distortion that really felt great to play, even at the lower volume level I was at.

I got to chatting with the guy who works there (I know him) and he asks me what I'm there to play (off in a different section of the store now). I told him what I was looking at and he said he really didn't want to sell me one. They've had many of them fail after minimal use and even some that arrived dead. I trust this guy and the techs give the same story.

Long story short, I'm looking for a used 5150 now. I might be able to pick up a 5150 II with the cab for $1000.

I think you will be happy with that choice, thats an awesome amp for metal tones. Also give a Triple XXX and a JSX a try if needing added versatilty, they are a differnt flavor of tone as well.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
I just had to post that I had a Bugera 6262 head and Bugera cab. While I thought it sounded really good, it had very disappointing bass response until you really cranked the volume. The bass knob really didn't do anything for the tone, especially at bedroom volume. This was a big enough deal to me that I sold it and splurged for the 6505 combo, put new tubes and V12 Legends in it and now I have an amp that sounds like two sledgehammers pounding the floor @ post gain of 3 with the bass turned half way up. If you're going to buy a Bugera get the 333XL and retube it with 6L6 tubes, that will be the best sounding of them all. I also highly recommend the Peavey Triple X, it's an awesome amp and worth the extra money (along with the 5150/6505) for the security/roadworthiness IMHO.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
...I just had to post that I had a Bugera 6262 head and Bugera cab. While I thought it sounded really good, it had very disappointing bass response until you really cranked the volume. The bass knob really didn't do anything for the tone, especially at bedroom volume...If you're going to buy a Bugera get the 333XL and retube it with 6L6 tubes, that will be the best sounding of them all.

I totally agree. Being a previous owner of a 6262...the 333XL has more depth.

The 6262 transformer doesn't even kick in until about 5.5 or 6 on the master volume...which as we know is a freakin' nuclear bomb volume wise.

The XL switches on the 333XL bring out the low end resonant frequency of your cab which sounds much better at lower volumes.

Edit: I totally dig the EL34's. For wide open chord voicings they sound fantastic!
Last edited by BeerChurch at Sep 17, 2008,
I was at Sam Ash the other day trying out this guitar I was looking to buy and the guy I know there was like, "You need to check out this head". It just so happened to be the $599 head I had previously not given a second glance at after seeing the price tag and it turned out to be the Bugera 333XL through a Bugera 4x12 cabinet.

I gotta tell you, I was impressed as hell with the sound of that thing. I'm sure it helped that I was playing through a kickass Ibanez with some screaming humbuckers in it, but I was just as impressed with the clean channel as I was with the high gain channel. If I was in the market for a $500-600 head, I would absolutely be going back there to check that one out again.

I believe the cab was like $300 or so, so that would put you right in your price range for a full half stack. Good luck with the purchase and if you haven't played this one yet, definitely give it a shot.
I have to throw my two cents in here of course and say that my 333XL is a kick ass amp and does metal quite nicely, at bedroom and high volume. I have really had the chance to crank it too much, but I do live in a house and have been able to turn it up somewhat. Even at three or four though this thing was a beast. I have never had one single issue with it and would recomend them in a heartbeat.
I have a B-52 AT100 all tube half stack.. Everyome seems to give high praises to peavey. I have played them all. The b52 is the closest you cn get to a mesa xxx. I did a sie by side comparison on the b52 at100, mesa xxx, marshall jvm. The b-52 sounded just as good as the other 2 mentioned. I'm a tone junky and money wasn't an issue when buying my amp. After the comparison I could not justify spending the extra 1000 for the head because like I said they were eqaul in sound. I also tried the entire Peavey line. Oh, and Peavey has such rave reviews, well they suck....period. Played the 5150 andit sounded extremely gritty, with no characteristic whatsoever. You couldn't give me one. I have been playing for over 20 years. Own a Gibson LP standard, Taylor 310 ce, BC Rich ASM Pro (closest you cn get to the custom shop without spending 4k, Grover tuners, EMG 81/85, real floyd not licensed. Did my research prior to tht purchsae and talked with Ed Roman and he even said it was an exceptional guitar, well worth the money) and a American strat. If your looking for an amp that does it all try the b-52 at100. Here's a clue for you. With the others you are only paying for the name. The parts come from the same place. ) The b52 gas gotten good as well as bad reviews, and so have the others. The only reason you don't see as many bad reviews posted for the high end stuff is because people are to embarrassed to post them. Wouldn't you be if you just paid 1800 for a head and it was a POS. Again this is just my opinion and I'm sure someone will tell me that I didn't have the Peavey dialed in right, to bad but it was dialed in andit just sounded horrible. Keep this in minf to, most of the amps that your favorite artists are playing have also been heavily moded. Play them all, don't look at the name, just listen to the sound and pick the one that sounds the best. I'll put my B-52 up to a Mesa and Marshall, and you'll never know the difference if you do a blind sound check. Remember it's not i thename it's in the tone it produces. The new EVH amp sounds nice bufor 1800.00 just for the head, and it's also made in Ensenada Mexico, and not even hand wired. BTW the it even looks cheap.
^ I guarantee that I could tell the difference between a B-52 and a Marshall in a blind test. And Mesa does not make an amp called the 'XXX'. That would be Peavey.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs