Page 1 of 2
Hey guys I'm looking for some book recomendations, I know this has been done before but it was always pertaining to someone elses tastes. I'm looking for books pertaining to war, I loved the books Lone Survivor and Jarhead, and I'm thinking of ordering the Iliad. So please recommend me some books. Thanks
101 Kamasutra Positions By Nexium
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Jerome K. Jerome - Three men in a boat (Comedy, very original and absolutely hilarious)

Terry Pratchett - Amazing maurice and his mice (Comedy, adventure, but also philosophical)

J.R.R. Tolkien -The hobbit (Or "Bilbo" depending where you're from), Lord of the rings
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Sep 15, 2008,
Quote by Kensai
Jerome K. Jerome - Three men in a boat (Comedy, very original and absolutely hilarious)

Terry Pratchett - Amazing maurice and his mice (Comedy, adventure, but also philosophical)

J.R.R. Tolkien - Bilbo, lord of the rings

it's called "The Hobbit"
Quote by CoreysMonster
it's called "The Hobbit"

It's called "Bilbo" in sweden
Quote by Kensai

you were living a lie for all these years.

im so sorry you had to find out this way.
The Iliad is not an easy read...you need serious patience. The language used is so basic compared to modern fiction. You need a good translation of it. I'd suggest reading Virgil's Aeneid first or instead.
Quote by Kensai

seriously? Even here in Germany it's called "Der kleine Hobbit".

you crazy swedes with your Karlssons and Pippis and kids from Büllerbü
Quote by daytripper75
you were living a lie for all these years.

im so sorry you had to find out this way.

This is even worse than when I found out diamonds don't make a girl put out

Quote by CoreysMonster
seriously? Even here in Germany it's called "Der kleine Hobbit".

you crazy swedes with your Karlssons and Pippis and kids from Büllerbü

"Büllerbü" sounds fun
Quote by smb
The Iliad is not an easy read...you need serious patience. The language used is so basic compared to modern fiction. You need a good translation of it. I'd suggest reading Virgil's Aeneid first or instead.

this is a really good version of it:

http://www.amazon.com/Iliad-Penguin-Classics-Deluxe/dp/0140275363/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221503522&sr=8-1

once you get used to reading epic verse, its actually a really good read.
Quote by Kensai
This is even worse than when I found out diamonds don't make a girl put out

"Büllerbü" sounds fun

sorry it's "Bullerbyn", right?
Quote by CoreysMonster
sorry it's "Bullerbyn", right?

Yeah but I like "Büllerbü" better ^.^
thats some hardcore stuff!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090610/
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
anything written by chuck palahniuk. prefferably "Haunted" if you can stomach it, amazing writing.
A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore. It is pretty much the most hilarious book I have ever read. Fluke by the same author is also pretty good.

Of course there are the Harry Potter books too, which are awesome. Eragon is pretty awesome, but the second one, Eldest wasn't that great.

Now as far as war novels go; my favorite is Fallen Angels by Walter Dean Meyers. Or it could be Myers, I'm not sure. It is about Vietnam and is really good.
Quote by happytimeharry

We'll see how badass they truly are after their shins have been ravaged. Shin kicking is serious business.
Quote by 777Corey
anything written by chuck palahniuk. prefferably "Haunted" if you can stomach it, amazing writing.

Haunted was my least favorite Palahniuk book.
The Bible and the Koran. Then you can have an excuse to kill lotsa people and wreck a bunch of stuff...okay okay sorry...I'm just surprised no one said it yet...

Anyways, what are you more interested in reading? Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Fiction etc...
Heres some good stuff I've read lately, Neverwhere, The Road, Confessions of an Economic Hitman, Gods Behaving Badly...

EDIT: I tried to read The Iliad, and I stress tried. Its not that I'm stupid and can't understand english, but as far as I remember, this was translatted a long time ago into old english and it takes a lot to understand what the hell is being said. Theres a lot of words that people don't use in everyday speech. But anyways, have at it.
Last edited by DeanESPJackson at Sep 15, 2008,
Quote by DeanESPJackson
The Bible and the Koran. Then you can have an excuse to kill lotsa people and wreck a bunch of stuff...okay okay sorry...I'm just surprised no one said it yet...

Anyways, what are you more interested in reading? Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Fiction etc...
Heres some good stuff I've read lately, Neverwhere, The Road, Confessions of an Economic Hitman, Gods Behaving Badly...

EDIT: I tried to read The Iliad, and I stress tried. Its not that I'm stupid and can't understand english, but as far as I remember, this was translatted a long time ago into old english and it takes a lot to understand what the hell is being said. Theres a lot of words that people don't use in everyday speech. But anyways, have at it.

Yeah like I said I haven't ordered the Iliad yet, I was just considering it. My main interests are within Non-Fiction, and if it means anything I'm a patriotic American. But please also post books that you guys think are badass, it doesn't have to fall into that realm. Thanks for all your suggestions so far guys.
Quote by daytripper75
Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy is good if you like war/military related books.

I found Rainbow Six to be really dry, sure the action parts were great but they were at least 100 pages apart, it seemed to go way too slow for me.

I'd say read some Stephen King - Christine, Pet Sematary, Cell, The Dark Tower.
rawr
^ i felt the same way the first time i tried to read it.

i read about half, and then put it down.

like 2 years later i decided to read it again, and i really enjoyed it.
Quote by I Am Jack!
I found Rainbow Six to be really dry, sure the action parts were great but they were at least 100 pages apart, it seemed to go way too slow for me.

I'd say read some Stephen King - Christine, Pet Sematary, Cell, The Dark Tower.

I thought the first Rainbow six was awesome. i never got to finish it though. they never pulled off the olympics idea did they?

If youre into dark/horror short stories then id recommend looking up stuff by Howard Phillips Lovecraft.

Or there George R. R. Martins amazing book series called,"A Song Of Fire and Ice". The books themselves are "A Game Of Thrones", "A Clash Of Kings", "A Storm Of Swords" and "A Storm Of Crows". There are still 3 more books to be released. Its a fantasy series but even if you dont like fantasy youll love it. I dont really like fantasy but i love these books. Without a doubt the best books ive ever read.

And i would suggest reading the book called,"Primal Screamer" which i took my name from but sadly its out of print. Even i dont have the book. i found the whole book typed out on some website but i cant remember the link.
On the Road- Jack Kerouac
The Stranger- Albert Camus
The Quiet American- Graham Greene
Siddhartha- Herman Hesse
i really dont think anyone is reading the first post.

he wants WAR related books.

seriously, i think you guys just read the thread title and posted.
Quote by daytripper75
i really dont think anyone is reading the first post.

he wants WAR related books.

seriously, i think you guys just read the thread title and posted.

Whoops

Slaughterhouse Five still applies.
And Johnny Got His Gun
Quote by Demons&Wizards
The complete Horus Heresy series

+1

A great series of books if you like Sci-fi.
Guitar: Jackson JS30KV
PSN id : craig_241
Steam
Feel free to add me!
Why read a book when your grandpa can tell you about WWII non-stop?!
The sun is gone, but I have a light.
Enemy At the Gates by William Craig

Who doesn't love reading about the battle of Stalingrad?

oh that is great!

"'Evil men have no songs.' How is it that the Russians have songs?"
I have read some really amazing books lately. Here are some I strongly recommend :

1. The Beach by Alex Garland

2. The Ruins by Scott Smith

3. Adrift : 76 Days Lost as Sea by Steven Callahan
Quote by Demons&Wizards
give this guy some internets

I found Storm of Iron to be my favorite of all the WH40k books, but the heresy series will go on forever and they are so far all pretty good

also to TS try some Cormac McCarthy most of his books are brilliant
Quote by CoreysMonster
it's called "The Hobbit"

in some places it's called "there and back again."

-the time travellers wife - audrey niffenegger
-flowers in the attic - virginia andrews
-haunted - chuck palahniuk
i flew beyond the sun before it was time
Page 1 of 2