Over the next few months leading up to Christmas, I'm intending to vastly upgrade my sound, so far, I reckon I'm getting:

Laney TT50H w/ Laney GS 2x12 cab (for around £650 altogether)

Ibanez TS9

A noise suppressor of some sort

And maybe an Attenuator, unsure of which one to get though.

I'm going to be playing with a large range of gain, from AC/DC sorta stuff to Dream Theater/Children of Bodom levels of gain, I'm guessing that along with the 3rd channel with the "Modern" switch and the tubescreamer, it'll pretty much do anything, I'll be trying one out hopefully this Sunday, but I'd sorta like reassurance between now and then...

Does this seem suitable? I know some people sort of nay-say the whole head and cab thing, saying that a combo will be better, but considering I have a 2x12 combo atm, I like the fact that it has more than one speaker, but I reckon this way it's going to be more economical to get a new head in the future and use the same cab, as opposed to buying a combo now, then later on, buying another combo.

Alas, I've made a lot of threads so far, but this really is the surest I've been, I just need to try it out on Sunday..
Funny words.
I would try out a few other Overdrive pedals. Keep in mind a Tubescreamer does add a midrange boost, so you might be better off with something like a clean boost, if all you want to do is add some extra gain to your amp. A Tubescreamer would be better used as a solo/lead boost.
just don't wait too long on that tt (if you're getting one from guitar guitar). i got emailed this morning from the edinburgh branch (where i'd inquired about it) to say their tt50 combo had already been sold. i think they're ex-demo, though, so definitely try to make it to the shop to check it out to make sure it's ok. FAKE EDIT: just noticed you said you'd be trying it out on sunday.

only thing about the cab i'd say is that the gs cab doesn't have great speakers... you can get a framus cab with v30s for around £230 i think (but i haven't tried it). obviously v30s aren't the be-all end-all, but they're generally nicer than 70/80s...

regarding the overdrive: try a maxon too if you can, they're more or less the same thing (many people prefer the maxon), for less money. you might not even need an overdrive if the amp gets heavy enough alone (it might or might not- some people seem to think it can do metal, some don't).

noise suppressor: decimator, most likely.

attenuator: i wouldn't bother until you've tried it at home at lower volumes quite a bit, you might decide you don't need one.

head + 2x12: sounds sensible enough to me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
just don't wait too long on that tt (if you're getting one from guitar guitar). i got emailed this morning from the edinburgh branch (where i'd inquired about it) to say their tt50 combo had already been sold. i think they're ex-demo, though, so definitely try to make it to the shop to check it out to make sure it's ok. FAKE EDIT: just noticed you said you'd be trying it out on sunday.

only thing about the cab i'd say is that the gs cab doesn't have great speakers... you can get a framus cab with v30s for around £230 i think (but i haven't tried it). obviously v30s aren't the be-all end-all, but they're generally nicer than 70/80s...

regarding the overdrive: try a maxon too if you can, they're more or less the same thing (many people prefer the maxon), for less money. you might not even need an overdrive if the amp gets heavy enough alone (it might or might not- some people seem to think it can do metal, some don't).

noise suppressor: decimator, most likely.

attenuator: i wouldn't bother until you've tried it at home at lower volumes quite a bit, you might decide you don't need one.

head + 2x12: sounds sensible enough to me.

This. A big +1 to the ISP Decimator in particular, in my experience it is by far the best suppressor around. Do try the Maxon OD if you can find one, while the Laney can do some metal I doubt it will pull out DT-level gain without help unless you crank it all the way (which burns out your tubes faster). That's all I have to add really, he said anything else I might above...
Good luck!
The overdrive wan't something I was looking at straight away, and maybe not even as a gain boost, more just to tighten up the sound really, obviously this relies entirely on what the amp sounds like as to which purpose I'd need it for, if any.

The only thing I can say about the cab is I'm not entirely sure the place I'm going has it in to try out, but even if the speakers aren't the greatest quality, I can't really complain since I'll be paying around £150 for it.
Funny words.
^ no worries about the od, that sounds sensible enough. i didn't realise that the laney cab was so cheap, i thought it was a similar price to the framus. that being the case, you could upgrade the speakers in the laney (assuming a similar quality of cab construction) and still be around the price of the framus (except the cab would be a better match, in terms of cosmetics, and you'd have a free choice of speakers).

Quote by Nightfyre
This. A big +1 to the ISP Decimator in particular, in my experience it is by far the best suppressor around. Do try the Maxon OD if you can find one, while the Laney can do some metal I doubt it will pull out DT-level gain without help unless you crank it all the way (which burns out your tubes faster). That's all I have to add really, he said anything else I might above...
Good luck!

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Yeah pretty much what I thought, I can give it a chance with the stock speakers, and then if I'm underwhelmed, I'll have free reign over what I can switch 'em with.

Oh, another thing, does the Laney come with a footswitch? I've known some that do and some that don't (Laney's that is)
Funny words.
i think the tt does, would be best to check with the shop though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
^ Yeah pretty much what I thought, I can give it a chance with the stock speakers, and then if I'm underwhelmed, I'll have free reign over what I can switch 'em with.

Oh, another thing, does the Laney come with a footswitch? I've known some that do and some that don't (Laney's that is)

My Laney didn't come with a footstich, but i'm sure the shop will order one in for you if you don't get one with it.

The TT is an awesome amp too
Quote by thellamaking
My Laney didn't come with a footstich, but i'm sure the shop will order one in for you if you don't get one with it.

The TT is an awesome amp too

Do you have any experience with it? I know opinion can be completely polarised with that amp, how would you say it fares with heavier stuff?
Funny words.
I think the TT will come with a footswitch.

You prob know already but listen to Dave MC - he knows his onions!

Some alternatives to chuck in in my opinion is an avatar cab, a mesa cab, and an Orange cab. I'm too lazy at the mo (and getting more tipsy by the minute!) to get values but what I would say is if you get a mesa cab you stand a good chance of being able to "fill out" your sound due to having great headroom and is responsive to mids. I say this because with Laneys you might find them to be quite, well how do you put it, "raspy". (No I didn't think ANYONE would get what I mean there! Ha!).

Anyway, I have the TT50 combo - all I can say is it causes perpetual ejaculation. It doesn't tell you that in the manual though......

EDIT: a good EQ pedal can sort this out too. Oh, and I would say an attenuator from Weber will do the trick. Make sure you get the one that can handle the load (wattage) of yopur chosen amp. Rule of thumb get one which can handle double the wattage of your amp.
Last edited by UnicronAlliance at Sep 15, 2008,
I'm no expert on Laney amps, but as far as overdrive goes you can't beat a Keeley TS808. The things are worth their weight in gold. But for a less tone-coloring pedal, you might look at the Effectrode Tube Drive. It's more transparent and has some more gain than a Tubescreamer. But make sure you research them both before you buy.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

thanks for the kind words unicron. i very nearly got the tt combo myself recently, only i chickened out at the last minute when i realised those guitar guitar ones were ex-demo, as i'd have had to buy blind online.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm, I'll have a look at other cabs, but I think with the Oranges and Mesa's I'll be paying more for them than the head!
Funny words.
Dave MC: Yeah I know man - I got mine used but managed to get to try b4 buy as it was a mate of a mate of a mate's cousin sort of thing! Long story short I got to play it and fell in love. A lot of people say it has really bright cleans but I'm not sure. Def a 'roided up JCM 800 though - I freakin love it! And it 's perfect for Sabbath (Iommi being a personal fave!). If you ever get one make sure the knobs etc are cleaned up as mine chewed arse in this respect after a month or so!

Never look back after the TT50 (except if someone GAVE me a Tourmaster, EVH 5150, a JTM45 and a Silverface, but I'm kinda thinking as each day passes it's more and more unlikely....)
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Hmm, I'll have a look at other cabs, but I think with the Oranges and Mesa's I'll be paying more for them than the head!

Yeah, you guys get raped for mesa on that side of the pond.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by UnicronAlliance
Dave MC: Yeah I know man - I got mine used but managed to get to try b4 buy as it was a mate of a mate of a mate's cousin sort of thing! Long story short I got to play it and fell in love. A lot of people say it has really bright cleans but I'm not sure. Def a 'roided up JCM 800 though - I freakin love it! And it 's perfect for Sabbath (Iommi being a personal fave!). If you ever get one make sure the knobs etc are cleaned up as mine chewed arse in this respect after a month or so!

Never look back after the TT50 (except if someone GAVE me a Tourmaster, EVH 5150, a JTM45 and a Silverface, but I'm kinda thinking as each day passes it's more and more unlikely....)

i tried the head, i thought it had pretty warm cleans to be honest. it's a while since i tried one, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?