Alright so I am getting a new amp and some foot pedals for xmas but I want to now what I should ask for...

So what's the difference between Vox amps and Marshall amps?
And
Which is better Boss pedals and Digitech pedals?
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
Rocktron Banshee Talk box
Last edited by Drmmrboi180 at Sep 15, 2008,
Marshall Cane anyone type of amp.

There just different brands, nothing drastically different. What sound are you after? Digitechs set you apart, but can also make you sound digital, where as boss puts with the rest but makes you sound slightly pro, but that gets old real fast. If it yours first pedal, start of with a multi effect pedal imo. Korg AX5G will do nicely
Quote by SGPlayer08
Stay away from the Marshall MG series....

Trust me, I own one... unfortunately.

Ignore the ignorant.

Mg is good.
Vox tends to be valve driven and marshall tends to be solid state. Valve driven round the sound more i'd defo try them out first.
Quote by SGPlayer08
Stay away from the Marshall MG series....

Trust me, I own one... unfortunately.

plus one from me, had a marshall mg 100 dfx and although its great for heavy metal, thats all it could do, everything else was very muddy. I've heard good things about the Fender princeton amps though...

Not really sure on digitech pedals but i've got a boss 0S2 and a ME-50 and they've both been pretty good to me
Quote by Anthony1991
Marshall Cane anyone type of amp.

There just different brands, nothing drastically different. What sound are you after? Digitechs set you apart, but can also make you sound digital, where as boss puts with the rest but makes you sound slightly pro, but that gets old real fast. If it yours first pedal, start of with a multi effect pedal imo. Korg AX5G will do nicely

Yeah for awhile I had a Digitech RP90 multieffects pedal (used the wrong adapter and fried it ) and I was pleased with but now I wanna set up a rig where I don't have to stomp the switch for a minute trying to find what I need.
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
I have a Digitech Grunge and a Boss OD-2, and I can safely say that I'm happy with both of them. When it comes to pedals, don't just by one brand. Try everything out.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Well if it helps what I want is kinda the heavy classic rock sound like Led Zeppelin or Van Halen or even like Sublime (I know they aren't heavy but I want that sound somewhat also)
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by Drmmrboi180
Well if it helps what I want is kinda the heavy classic rock sound like Led Zeppelin or Van Halen or even like Sublime (I know they aren't heavy but I want that sound somewhat also)

I assume this is a gift idea can you add your own cash in or no?
what would be the total budget eithway?
where do you live (it matters)
home or gig (w/drummer)
new or used (you can find some great deals out there)
anything else outside of Classic rock and what guitar do you have?
Edit: Squier
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
this thread is full of fail

Edit: Except SGplayer

+1

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
home or gig (w/drummer)

+2
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
home or gig (w/drummer)

Yes its a gift and yes.
up to about $600
Northwest Indiana
Both
Either
Yeah Squier (Putting up the falme shield )
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
See if you can't try a traynor YCV50 blue, great amp, does the marshall sound better than anything marshall makes these days. For some american flavor an f-30 or an f-50 would be good if you can find one.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
OK, I'm not saying these are the ones for you - these are only an example of what's available. This was all stuff posted YESTERDAY alone! Monday's seem to be the prime day for checking as I bet a lot of people are posting stuff on weekends when they have time.

Again, I took the time to show you because my fear was that you were looking at Marshall MGs and Vox Valvetronix (no flame necessary more for home use than gig). If you've got $600 then this is what I would be doing If Iwere you. Again, sorry if Chicago is a distance from you but you get the idea. Good Luck.

Peavey Classic50 $400 (this)
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/msg/841889341.html

Peavey Vavleking stack $500
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/msg/841516762.html

Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10 $550
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/msg/840408785.html

Peavey Vavleking stack (H&K cab) $650
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/840204672.html

Not saying the Vavleking is the best choice I just happen to run across 2 of them. Also not suggesting you need a stack, Combo will get the job done just fine.

Kevin's suggestions are great too. I've seen Mesa's on CL.org many times.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 15, 2008,
Asking what the difference between Marshall and Vox isn't easily explainable. I can't remember exactly but the both have a very midsy sound, the think the vox is darker though. However, they make so many different amps, you can't really compare. Both boss and digitech are rather mediocre. 311ZOSOVHJH gave some good suggestions on amps (Using his damn craigslist )
But also look at a Peavey Delta Blues, AC15 (Not as much). F-30's and possibly a used JCM800 or 900 combo (if you can find one)