I'm playing R.A.T.M's song Calm Like a Bomb, and awesome sounding yet simple song.

But there are parts of the song which require bass rakes (muting all 4 strings and strumming) and buy doing this. I have skinned my knuckles on my Elites, what is the best way to do these rakes without making my hands bleed?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Practice. But don't over do it. After a while your skin will start to harden on your knuckles just like your finger tips. There's nothing to do but to grin and bare it I'm afraid.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
never heard of rakes in that way before- my understand of rakes is that it's when you sweep through the string you're plucking, and then continue through and pluck the string below with the same finger and motion. I do it when I play Cochise.

Anyways, I know what you're on about, and you're simply doing it too hard if you're bleeding. It doesn't need much force at all. I loosen my hand up slightly, and flick through with the fingers, using the joints closest to the fingernail.

EDIT: What you're talking about, I tend to call it "strumming"
Quote by food1010
I've never played that song with rakes before. When do you do it?

Perhaps I'm using the wrong term

But it's the bit where the guitar palm mutes, the bass mutes all the strings and plays all the strings.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
pick?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ChemicalFire
Perhaps I'm using the wrong term

But it's the bit where the guitar palm mutes, the bass mutes all the strings and plays all the strings.

Oh I get what you're saying. Yeah those are rakes. I think in a song like that they're redundant, but anyhow, there are two solutions: 1) Build up the toughness of your knuckles; 2) Use your fingernails rather than your knuckles. You might scrape up the skin that connects to your fingernails a bit, but it shouldn't be as big of an issue.
Quote by ScottB.
pick?

No, never. Absolutely do not use a pick. It's lazy and pointless. If you're gonna play bass with a pick, you might as well play a guitar with an octavater. Unless you're using the pick to get a certain tone, it's unreasonable.

EDIT: sorry for the double post.
Quote by food1010
No, never. Absolutely do not use a pick. It's lazy and pointless. If you're gonna play bass with a pick, you might as well play a guitar with an octavater. Unless you're using the pick to get a certain tone, it's unreasonable.

None of this anti-pick sh*T in this forum thank you.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
None of this anti-pick sh*T in this forum thank you.

I'm sorry, it's a pet peave of mine.
Quote by food1010

EDIT: sorry for the double post.

That's quite narrow minded, using different techniques makes everyone a better player. Although I can sort of agree if using a pick the whole time.

To answer the question, I usually form my hand as if holding a pick, but without the pick, and strum with my fingernails.
Quote by Andron17
Go away, I have an erection.

Bassist for Half My Kingdom.
I kinda spoke without thinking. At first I said never use a pick and then I said only use a pick to get a certain tone. In my personal opinion, a pick should not be used all the time, but I have nothing against the use of picks. Flea, one of my biggest influences uses a pick.

I apologize to all for making that spontaneous, contradictory statement.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Use your fingernails flamenco style?

Thats how I do it, and I assume thats how Timmy C does this. How would you even go about using your knuckles?

You know that's how I do it--or use a pick. Flamenco style seems like the most efficient way.
I strum with my fingernails or I just mute the E and keep playing with my fingers, give a good punchy mute sound.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Use your fingernails flamenco style?

Thats how I do it, and I assume thats how Timmy C does this. How would you even go about using your knuckles?

The upper knuckle near the end of the finger. Curve your finger tips, rake down with knuckles, then unbend fingers and rack up with finger tips.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Another suggestion for flamenco style here.If your new to it, getting the hang of it willbe PAINFUL (fingers wacking the body/edge of the pickup :|) but after a while you pick up some accuracy andit sghouldnt be a problem.

Plus, after seeing Claypool do it, itll look so cool you wont be able to resist trying it >_>
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Quote by bassmanjoe08

Plus, after seeing Claypool do it, itll look so cool you wont be able to resist trying it >_>

Ok this is the last time I'll mention this song in the forum. I promise. Kinda...

Anyway--this is the video that finally got me to see how to do the infamous Claypool flamenco / rake technique.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_-p2NhvXmdg

Yes. Its "Too Many Puppies" again. Not the best version but it does get the technique across quite well.

Alternatively you could also look at:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=231PT-5nKhY&feature=related

To defy the laws of tradition.
Last edited by anarkee at Sep 16, 2008,
Lulz, you hurt yourself playing rakes. Buy a set of flatwounds if you don't want to change technique, or you could just strume flamenco style.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)