I was wondering if any of you metalheads would recommend these scales I play a lot of thrash metal, a little power metal and a little doom metal.

Anyway I came across this scale called dorian #4, the pattern in G looks like this
|--------------------------------------------------------------12-13-15------
|-----------------------------------------------------14-15------------------
|-----------------------------------------12-14-15--------------------------
|-------------------------11-12-14-15--------------------------------------
|-----------------12-13------------------------------------------------------
|-----12-13-15--------------------------------------------------------------

I also have been learning the diminished scale, are these scales good for a Megadeth,Testament, style thrash metal?
Last edited by JA91 at Sep 15, 2008,
Metal is rarely modal, and 99% of it is based in the minor scale. Until you know the major scale minor scales all over the neck, in every key, and theory behind them, you shouldn't worry about harmonically useless exotic modes.

That said, there is no "metal scale". Scales do not have genres or moods.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Metal is rarely modal, and 99% of it is based in the minor scale. Until you know the major scale minor scales all over the neck, in every key, and theory behind them, you shouldn't worry about harmonically useless exotic modes.

this
i play an 8 string
well all scales can be good for what ever style you play, it is all about how you use them.
the dim works good if you master it at trash metal, if you know the old old finnish band stone, the one guitarist like to use it alot.

as far as i know, you normally use phrygian scale for metal, as it sounds alittle bit more evil than the rest of the modes... also a normal minor scale works for power metal and that sort of stuff.. but if you wanna go more advanced, go for the harmonic minor, and mix it with dim scale.. that also sounds really cool (if you master the shit, else it just sounds bad, you have to play them so they make some mucical sense)
Quote by Roopelatvalafan
well all scales can be good for what ever style you play, it is all about how you use them.
the dim works good if you master it at trash metal, if you know the old old finnish band stone, the one guitarist like to use it.

Yeah, I listen to Stone, quite a bit actually, I've always wondered what scales they used,because their soloing style is very unique.
go download some classical music, find out whatever they're using (beethoven's later stuff especially), and throw some distortion on and you have decent metal.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
A good scale for metal is one with the flattened fifth in it.Like using the minor scale and adding the flattened fifth note in it.Slayer uses the flattened fifth interval a lot,so much so they named one of thier albums after the interval (Diablos in Musica)
Quote by muse-ik
go download some classical music, find out whatever they're using (beethoven's later stuff especially), and throw some distortion on and you have decent metal.

He/she means go BUY some classical music. As for the scale, almost all of it is in the minor scale (learn about composing in minor, that will cover the harmonic and melodic as well as stated above.

As for the scale you posted being good for metal, if you like the sound of it, then yes, it's good for metal, or whatever you like.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by kinkmachine
A good scale for metal is one with the flattened fifth in it.Like using the minor scale and adding the flattened fifth note in it.Slayer uses the flattened fifth interval a lot,so much so they named one of thier albums after the interval (Diablos in Musica)

Yeah, I love the dissonant sound of the flat fifth, doesn't the diminished scale contain it?
Quote by JA91
Yeah, I love the dissonant sound of the flat fifth, doesn't the diminished scale contain it?

Yes, yes it does.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
basicly the thing with the flattened fith is just mixing up blues pentaton and a normal minor scale.. so that way around it upons up a world of new licks to play, allso you can take a normal minor, and add the reased 7'th, from the harmonic minor, just to give it a more evil sound or progressive sound or what ever you call it.. it works prettty good
Dude play whatever scale you want to play. Make your own music, don't do what everyone else has been doing for years.
We're only strays.
Quote by Archeo Avis

Also, I know the modes theoretically just not how to apply them guitar wise,(I'm not the best with notes on guitar and applying theory to guitar)

I understand also that everything is about the phrasing and not the scale, but I definitely think some scales are easier to use if your don't know how to use accidentals and passing tones well(I only know basic music theory so I'm not the best with this kind of stuff)

Also, using the Major Scale to solo over a song like "Raining Blood" and making it fit the song harmonically is harder than using the Phrygian mode to solo over it.

I definitely think scales have a certain mood for example the Natural Minor scale has a rather sad sound.

I agree that any scale can be used in any kind of music if you're really good at using passing tones, accidentals and mixing scales together, and have great phrasing like Marty Friedman.

But, I'm unfortunately not that good. I tend to use scales as a guide anyway, and I use a lot of notes technically that aren't in the scale when I'm playing metal.
Last edited by JA91 at Sep 15, 2008,
Quote by The_Sophist
He/she means go BUY some classical music. As for the scale, almost all of it is in the minor scale (learn about composing in minor, that will cover the harmonic and melodic as well as stated above.

As for the scale you posted being good for metal, if you like the sound of it, then yes, it's good for metal, or whatever you like.

yeah. buy it. always support the artists, even it's only a little. beethoven needs some money too you know.
Don't mock me.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Quote by The_Sophist
Don't mock me.

But it's funny.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
You know what Archeo, I'm tired of your shinanigans.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
omg someone mocked you? tell me who it was so i can beat the shit outta him!
Nice to know I got back, or whatever teenage slang is flying around nowadays. But in all seriousness, why can't we all just be friends?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
We can be E-friends.

Edit : You to Archeo
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
but i'm not an electronic piece of equipment. to be e-friends we would have to be 2 different types of artificial intelligence equipped robots.
Why are you making excuses, do you not like me? Did I say something?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Quote by The_Sophist
You know what Archeo, I'm tired of your shinanigans.

Did someone call shenanigans?!

*cue angry crowd*
Think TS is still reading this?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Am i the only one who finds that after years of abusing the harmonic minor, the natural minor just doesnt sound as good or have the pull it used to?

/me is running out of options harmonically
The one legged chickens from outer space made me do it!
It doesn't have the pull because it doesn't have the leading tone, which is the point of harmonic minor, but ya, I get what your saying.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
Quote by The_Sophist
It doesn't have the pull because it doesn't have the leading tone, which is the point of harmonic minor, but ya, I get what your saying.

yeah but its like they shouldnt introduce you to the harmonic until you've been playing for time. The minor becomes practically redundant in my eyes. Now i find myself trawling through licks constructed from the harmonic minor and some of its modes (love the really dark oriental ones)
The one legged chickens from outer space made me do it!
/topic

well, everytime I try to create a thrash metal riff, I end up playing in the diminished scale many times!!!!

W-H-W-H-W-H ^^

btw The_Sophist, I agree with the quote in your sig!!!