I've been playing guitar for approaching 4 years, and I've recently taken an interest in jazz guitar

I've looked through a couple of the lessons on the site and I'm still very confused.

Can you reccommend me any songs to learn, guitarists to look into, websites with good basic jazz guitar lessons etc...

basically I have no idea where to start with jazz guitar, so any help would be greatly appreciated
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Wes is probably a really good place to start, maybe Al DiMeola and Scofield if you like more progressive, technical stuff.
Lee ritnehour (dunno if spelled correct), but i recommend Rio funk, it is not to hard, and it sounds really nice, also it has some good sections where you can improvise, in very different moods, so that train your soloing skill

/ Rasmus
cheers for the suggestions guys
I'm looking for pretty classic jazz at the moment so wes montgomery is ideal.

are there any particular scales or progressions that are used extensively in jazz? or is it just major and minor scales and a hell of a lot of improvisation?
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Learn sightreading, major scale, altered scale, harmony, 7 chords with extensions (altered and unaltered) and comping, but most importantly listen to jazz alot and transcribe solos so you can figure out what they're doing.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
By a real book and learn everything.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Looking at Wes for a starting point may be too advanced. Look at Grant Green. He's a great player but he only played single note lines and he had more of a rhythmic than harmonic approach to soloing than Wes which will be easier to pick up and more important in the long run.
12 fret fury
its also very important to know your arpeggios in diff postions aswell. An example being u might hav 2 chord changes in one bar, therefore instead of changing from scale to scale, u can play an arpeggio. The real book is also a very good idea, as it has many jazz classics in there. Hope that helped

Proud member of the Stratocaster Lover's Group