Punk/Punk Rock/Grunge
8 5%
Indie/Ska
2 1%
Everthing/More Than One/Other
67 44%
Voters: 154.
Page 1 of 2
I play all types of music, but alot of people tell me I play like Tony Iommi / play a very similar style
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
shred, pentatonic, jazz, classic rock, blues. lately its been a unique combination of classic single coiled rock mixed with some jazz, with just a tad of overdrive. kinda andy timmonsish. its niiiccceeee.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
I've been told I sound like John Petrucci, John Frusciante, Dan Donegan, Mark Knopfler, Brian Setzer and Greg Mackintosh... so I suppose I'm all over the place stylistically.
I play everything cause I have to play everything hahaha.

From Jazz to Metal

From Classical to Shred
From a guy named Mike
Originally posted by justinhawkins

id knock boots with paris any day, but i bet robert plant has a better-sounding orgasm
the only thing i don't play is jazz, and thats because it just doesn't click with me, and you need that connection to it to play it at all. i love everything else though.

edit:
Quote by travd92
shred, pentatonic, jazz, classic rock, blues. lately its been a unique combination of classic single coiled rock mixed with some jazz, with just a tad of overdrive. kinda andy timmonsish. its niiiccceeee.

did you seriously just call pentatonic a genre of music??? and wtf is single coiled rock??? i thought we were talking genres, not tones...
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Punk/Punk Rock/Grunge

uhhh....punk is the same genre as punk rock?

you should fix that up to Punk(rock)/Ska/Grunge/Hardcore (80's style...the good kind)

but yeah I play punk & grunge mostly, with random ska songs, and a few hardcore songs (ala Black Flag / Minor Threat / Circle Jerks, etc..)
Rock, blues, jazz, alternative & funk mainly. I also play some grunge or metal when I'm on the mood.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
You can tell the types on this forum by this poll.

Most likely to buy EMGs and start a thread about Peaveys or roland cube for a 'br00tal' sound, currently on 26%

Most likely to own a les paul/sg and have long, untamed hair currently 19.35%

Most likely to own a tubescreamer type pedal and play with thicker than normal strings currently on 13%

Most likely to attempt to shred (not saying anything, most of you are probably superb), recommend boutique amps unnecessarily and try to span all the genres, we'll call em the spanners, currently 32%

If I offended anyone, I'm sorry, but it's the internet, it's all good fun
Quote by Aziraphale
I've been told I sound like John Petrucci, John Frusciante, Dan Donegan, Mark Knopfler, Brian Setzer and Greg Mackintosh... so I suppose I'm all over the place stylistically.

Just makes me lol a ton inside. I sound like Satriani, Vai, Petrucci, Yngwie, MAB, Paul Gilbert, and every other amazing guitarist to ever live.

Seriously though, I play all types. At heart im a bluesman.
I'm mostly a blues man though I do play the classic rock and hard rock bands too. (Zeppelin and Purple for example). Pink Floyd is also one of my favorite bands and a major influence
All Metal,Including Hardcore

That is ****ed up.

I don't play core shyt. I play metal.
Rock... But not all rock. Nothing emo or anything like that.
Metal... But not all metal. I pretty much can't stand hardcore, death metal, etc.

I think that every "all" in the poll should be replaced with "any."
blues and rock for me (just put blues on the poll). i play a lot of hendrix, zeppelin, chilli peppers, etc. etc...
metal, some metalcore, thrash
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
"Backporch" classical, jazz, rock, blues, metal, and whatever else I happen to like.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by Swap-Meet
I just wish this thread owner was more knowledgeable about genres, most people should know that Hardcore is a subgenre of punk, hence the full name "Hardcore Punk"...

+1

Thank you.
Quote by muse-ik
the only thing i don't play is jazz, and thats because it just doesn't click with me, and you need that connection to it to play it at all. i love everything else though.

edit:

did you seriously just call pentatonic a genre of music??? and wtf is single coiled rock??? i thought we were talking genres, not tones...

wow, dumbass. look at the title of the thread. "what style do you play?" not limited to genre.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
More than one.

Mainly metal, classical, jazz, and post-hardcore/rock.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
I play a combination of blues, reggae, and metal. It's interesting at times but chilll
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

I play a Mix of Neoclassical Shred. I end up sounding like a mix between Cacophony, Yngwie Malmsteen, and Paul Gilbert. Vivaldi and Paganini have heavily influenced me in a classical sense. Although I do love to just rip out some facemelting Blues/Shred licks from time to time.

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
Bit of rock, bit of metal, and occasionally some other stuff.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Rock, some blues, some metal, some pop.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Grunge and shoegaze mostly. I went for punk/grunge cause I play a lot of punk also, but since shoegaze falls under alt/funk and I've never played much funk (save the odd Chillies lick).
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by RichieKotzen
Just makes me lol a ton inside. I sound like Satriani, Vai, Petrucci, Yngwie, MAB, Paul Gilbert, and every other amazing guitarist to ever live.

Seriously though, I play all types. At heart im a bluesman.

I wasn't saying that I personally thought so, but those are the ones that have been mentioned by other people, referring to different songs or riffs/licks I'd come up with. And only one of the guys I mentioned is in any form a "shredder", so your sarcasm was a bit off the mark there.
I'm a little surprised there's anyone who hasn't voted 'Everything/More Than One/Other' (fixed). I'd get so bored playing just one style/genre.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Page 1 of 2