Page 1 of 2
Basically I have inherited a PC.

Its not that special, I will probably remove everything on it and set it up as a DAW.

Now..... onto my problem......

It started life having Windows XP, got riddled with viruses etc. etc., some computer guy now has Windows 2000 put on it (dont know why).

So can I get Windows XP back on this thing? Is XP still on it now?? hiding somewhere?

How do I remover Windows 2000 from the computer?

Also is there a quick way to just wipe the computer and start again with it? (As apposed to manually deleting the files and uninstalling all the stupid programs that are on it!)

thanks for help guys.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

If you can get a copy of XP you can just reformat it.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Buy windows XP. It can be downloaded, however I DO NOT recommend this... do at your own risk.
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
i hate windows. i love more unix based stuff. but as with all installations it will prompt you to partition and select where to install. to get rid of everything simply overwrite c. if there are other drives remove them. easy. as for xp, look around, you can find anything cheap or free
ok thanks for the help so far!

i just want to be sure of the "point of no return" here.

if i format the harddrive, the computer will still work, just not have any (as in ANY??) programs on it?

im not an expert so i could easily ruin this thing and not know it!

Quote by darrenjables
Buy windows XP. It can be downloaded, however I DO NOT recommend this... do at your own risk.

did it go tits up for you?
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Quote by buzz
ok thanks for the help so far!

i just want to be sure of the "point of no return" here.

if i format the harddrive, the computer will still work, just not have any (as in ANY??) programs on it?

im not an expert so i could easily ruin this thing and not know it!

did it go tits up for you?
It'll have nothing, not even an operating system.
Quote by freedoms_stain
It'll have nothing, not even an operating system.

lucky i asked.....

would windows 2000 do ok for a DAW??

I wont be recording direct to the comp, but will be running Fruity Loops if my little project comes to fruition

It just seems to be the most straightforward way of getting this thing going really........opinions?
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Quote by buzz
lucky i asked.....

would windows 2000 do ok for a DAW??

I wont be recording direct to the comp, but will be running Fruity Loops if my little project comes to fruition

It just seems to be the most straightforward way of getting this thing going really........opinions?
You'll have to look at the min spec for the particular version of fruity loops.

If it'll run on Linux, honestly I'd format and install linux.

If it won't I'd format and get non-genuine XP.
mmmmmmmkay and what would be the benefits of having both linux and windows?

i really dont know.....?

like i said i probably will be using this only for music stuff, i already have a standard pc for other things.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

bump plz
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Linux is just ****in' awesome. No viruses and all that bullshit, but first you gotta make sure all of your hardware will run, because some mother****ers don't release drivers for linux so it's sometimes a bitch to get shit working.

Download liveCD, I would suggest Kubuntu since it's the most 'user friendly' distribution out there: http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu burn it on the CD and boot it up without installing, so you can see if it works for you.
Man I need some computer help, I get the Blue Screen of death and I dont know how to fix it. How would I be able to reformat it like that? If I go into Safe Mode it just leads me back to that damn Blue Screen.
Pink Floyd is Teh Best

Xbox Gamertag = Nick Schro

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high
Quote by TheDarkLestat
Man I need some computer help, I get the Blue Screen of death and I dont know how to fix it. How would I be able to reformat it like that? If I go into Safe Mode it just leads me back to that damn Blue Screen.

Depends on what the error message is. It's quite possible that the BSOD is caused by faulty memory, which is much easier to fix than you'd imagine.
I'm on my school's lap top at home atm. My Desktop Computer is the one thats fkn up but it says this in white font

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti - virus, disk deragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer."

I dont really know what to do.
Pink Floyd is Teh Best

I really dont know what the BSOD is, I'm a newb when it comes to the technic stuff on a computer
Pink Floyd is Teh Best

Oh the last post that I posted was what the white writting said. :P

Never knew that you call it that. Learn something new everyday at the Pit
Pink Floyd is Teh Best

After the message there is something that says

"Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x000000024 (0x009190203, 0x823886B8, 0xc0000102,0x00000000)"
Pink Floyd is Teh Best

OK, do you have the Windows CD?

If so, boot from the disc, and when Setup gives you the option, go in to RECOVERY MODE.

Once in here, run CHKDSK C: /P *

If this doesn't help, your hard drive may well have failed.

*Assuming C is the drive letter for Windows
Last edited by saphrax at Sep 16, 2008,
What is the spec on it?

Here is what I would do...

Make sure you have the drivers for the internet device on the computer, if not - download some and back them up to CD, memory stick... or whatever if you need to.

Obtain a LICENSED Windows 2000 or Windows XP cd; they cannot be expensive *at all* now and are completely worth it. Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP Home, respectively.

Do a complete system format...

Obtain the drivers for the graphics card, soundcard and internet device (if needed)

Then I would install Avast! Virus Scanner, Spybot Search & Destroy and Spyware Blaster (to immunize your system) and it would then basically be good to go.

Download appropriate programs you wanna use to taste.
I'm going to look for it, I really have no idea where its at. If I don't have it is there a store that I can purchase it from? Like Best Buy or something?
Pink Floyd is Teh Best

Quote by TheDarkLestat
I'm going to look for it, I really have no idea where its at. If I don't have it is there a store that I can purchase it from? Like Best Buy or something?

As I'm a UKUGer, I can't really help you there.

I'd doubt it though. You can't really get hold of XP these days off the shelf.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm

There is a boot CD available at this website which has the same utilities.
Quote by af_the_fragile
JUst format the hard drive and its fresh as new!!

PC's should come with a sticker says "If you have a problem, format the ****ing drive! If you still have a problem, then it's probably ****ed!"
Quote by saphrax
As I'm a UKUGer, I can't really help you there.

I'd doubt it though. You can't really get hold of XP these days off the shelf.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm

There is a boot CD available at this website which has the same utilities.

Alrighty, I'll look into it. Thanks for all the help. If I have any more questions I'm going to ask you if thats ok? You seem to know what you're talking about
Pink Floyd is Teh Best

Quote by TheDarkLestat
Alrighty, I'll look into it. Thanks for all the help. If I have any more questions I'm going to ask you if thats ok? You seem to know what you're talking about

Sure, no problem.

And I do know what I'm talking about - it's my job!
Quote by saphrax
fixed...

lol!

Thats what i usually do with my comp.
If it gets stuck and doesn't seem to fix itself, just pull out the battery and stick it back in, everything's working fine!!!

But yeah, Jakolas idea is still pretty good.
It should be more like "if your computer is having problems, turn it off and then on. If the problem still persists, format the hard drive. If the problem still doesn't go away, then you're ****ed!"
If it is a main brand (dell, IBM, Compaq etc) you may well still have a recovery partition on your hard drive with a 'from the factory' setup of XP.

An outside chance i'll admit, seeing as it has had win2000 installed, but if the person who rolled it back to 2000 (possibly because they did not have the ability to fix the problem with XP) was not too sure what they were doing then the recovery partition may be intact and useable.

This would be by far the easiest option. If it's an IBM, then you are in luck because I used to work for them and can easily walk you through it
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by Jackolas
What is the spec on it?

Here is what I would do...

Make sure you have the drivers for the internet device on the computer, if not - download some and back them up to CD, memory stick... or whatever if you need to.

Obtain a LICENSED Windows 2000 or Windows XP cd; they cannot be expensive *at all* now and are completely worth it. Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP Home, respectively.

Do a complete system format...

Obtain the drivers for the graphics card, soundcard and internet device (if needed)

Then I would install Avast! Virus Scanner, Spybot Search & Destroy and Spyware Blaster (to immunize your system) and it would then basically be good to go.

Download appropriate programs you wanna use to taste.

It has:

262Mb RAM
37.2 GB Memory

and according to stickers on the front of the comp....

AMD Aflon Xp 1800+
nVidia Graphics

The comp currently runs Windows 2000 Professional, but my friend does indeed have the Windows XP disc somewhere, he'll look for it.

I think ill probably put XP back on it.

I wont be connecting this to the internet at all btw.

now about what I have highlighted in red....

since i have no plans at this time to use the computer online i dont need the internet drivers right?

and how do i get the drivers for the graphics card and soundcard???
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Quote by gnrliesmanlies
windows 2000 is extremely stable i would actually recommend keeping it and dual booting with some type of linux

Linux is good if you dont wanna play any games, 2000 is the same deal except it isn't as secure as linux. Get Vista or XP dude.

EDIT: just saw the specs...Keep 2000 on it. I'd recomment 512 rma at least for xp....
Quote by buzz
It has:

262Mb RAM
37.2 GB Memory

and according to stickers on the front of the comp....

AMD Aflon Xp 1800+
nVidia Graphics

Thats not a very powerful computer now!
Good luck converting it into a DAW!!
hmmm......

Ill have a think about where to go from here I guess.....

How do I install Xp on the comp IF I do decide to do so?

Copy any files (such as word documents, music etc.) onto a memory stick.
Reformat the C Drive
Put Windows XP disk into computer, follow instructions.....?

what about graphics card drivers and soundcard drivers....?

any other files that should be copied to the mem stick?
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Page 1 of 2