Page 1 of 3
My English teacher phased our class with a question yesterday, and that was to answer this question: What is the most important part of this sentence? So far no one in my class has gotten it right. So pit, what is the most important part of the sentence?
the question mark since that makes it a question
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
sentence

I WON'T GET TO GET WHAT I'M AFTER, 'TIL THE DAY I DIE

Quote by ealtdharkon

If there's fluff of the muff,
She's old enough!

...gotta warn you though, witty rhymes do NOT hold up in court...

I'd guess the question mark.

It's what makes it a question, really.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Is there three people in your class and do you only get one guess each? If not then just take it in turn to say word and you'll get it right eventually.
Ug's Stupidest Member of the Year - 2005
what about the words, without the words you wouldn't have the sentence or the question mark
I would guess that "you" would technically be the most important. Even though the "you" of the sentence is not stated explicitly it is understood to be subject of the command in the sentence.
Quote by Dopey_Trout
the question mark since that makes it a question

^^
Quote by Jackintehbox
This man knows his beverages.
Quote by 7daycrisis
^somebody get this man 30 million dollars.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I think I love you. I consider you a prominent UGer.
Quote by Stormx
90.200.36.223 is my IP. Try me.
the answer
i luf da grammer knotziez

gear: (i wanna fit in)
ibanez tbx150r
phase90
lil big muff pi
weeping demon
esp viper100
boss chorus
other junk
Quote by donkey the wise
Well played Sir sFsKroniK
yay m special
There is no single most important part of a sentence; you need a subject and a verb. A sentence is not complete without both of those. So in that case, "part" and "is" are the most important parts.
Fear the Evil Chainsaw Wielding Penguin...
I think the answer is the superlative 'most'

The fact that it's a superlative proves its own point.

That's my best guess
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Quote by Liam.
I think the clue is the superlative 'most'

Most important word is most', the fact that it's a superlative proves its own point.

That's my best guess

But what would the sentence be asking of?
DANK MEMES
The most important part of the sentence is the punctuation, because without it, it isn't a sentence.
It's a trap!

Basically, unless the sentence gives information or a description, there is no importance of it. You have to make sure everyone knows this as quick as possible. Please. If you don't, the question will slowly make it's way around everyone, slowly consuming our ability to think about anything else, effectively stealing our thoughts and memories until we become a simple question mark, wondering the world forever lonely as the ability to speak is gone.

Or it could be the word what as it states the property of a question and wouldn't make much sense with out it.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
I don't know, it's worded weirdly but I still think I have the right answer...I'm desperate to know now

The superlative is self serving is the only way I can describe it, but that doesn't make sense on it's own...hmmm
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Quote by sFsKroniK
the answer
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
Quote by !@#$
The most important part of the sentence is the punctuation, because without it, it isn't a sentence.

without the words it isn't a sentence either
Looking again I'd actually agree with the question mark, the answer being 'the punctutation'

The punctuation allows the sentence to function as an interrogative, over the three other functions. That makes more sense in the sentences lack of context.

I'd make this my main bet, even without punctuation it's still a sentence, it just appears to have a different function as a sentence - whereby it's a declaritive instead of an interrogative.

Also considering the sentence isn't a transcript, there's no marker of inflection that would show that it was an interrogative. It's got to be punctuation.
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
Last edited by Liam. at Sep 15, 2008,
Quote by Liam.
Looking again I'd actually agree with the question mark, the answer being 'the punctutation'

The punctuation allows the sentence to function as an interrogative, over the three other functions. That makes more sense in the sentences lack of context.

I'd make this my main bet, even without punctuation it's still a sentence, it just appears to have a different function as a sentence - whereby it's a declaritive instead of an interrogative.

again, what about the words of the sentence, without them it wouldn't be a sentence either.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
I'd say the words.
Without words, you would have no sentence.

without any punctuation you wouldn't have one either
It's not a question it's a statement: "What" is the most important part of this sentence. Therefore, the most important part of this sentence is "What".
Quote by ohshait
again, what about the words of the sentence, without them it wouldn't be a sentence either.

It's asking wha'ts the most important part "of this sentence". We are assuming that the grammatical 'law' of needing words has already been observed.

Quote by ohshait
without any punctuation you wouldn't have one either

And I already said you don't need punctuation to HAVE a sentence - right answer - wrong reason.

The punctuation is a marker of function, not of a sentence existing.

Quote by No2wad
It's not a question it's a statement: "What" is the most important part of this sentence. Therefore, the most important part of this sentence is "What".

Assuming the question mark is supposed to be there, the sentence is an interrogative, not a declarative...
Opie and Anthony Fan
XM 202 | SIRIUS 197
Linger Longer
These are the kind of questions that makes your head hurt.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
is
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
About half the class answered punctuation, and the other half the words. Both sides were proven wrong.
what is the most important part of this sentence.
Gear:

Guitars:
Fender Highway One
Cort Electro Acoustic Jobby
Cort Curbow 5

Amp:
Fender Twin
Page 1 of 3