So, I'm getting fed up with using my drummers valvestate every time I go round for practise and I want to be able to use my rocker head. Unfortunatley I live 30 miles away, and have to go by train to his house. I need a cheap cab to live at his house so that I can use my head (I'm prepared to take the head by train when I go). Any suggestions?

Btw, I'm in the UK so it can't be avatar or vader, sorry.

P.S There's not much room in there with all the equipment so the smaller the better. Ideally a 1x12, no 4x12s because it won't fit.
How much can you spend on this? Generally, I'm not a big fan of 1x12s, they sound boxy to me.

Avatar is generally the place for cheap, decent cabs, but since its not an option, I'd suggest a Marshall 1936 which is a 2x12. It costs around $650 in the US, so I'd imagine maybe 350 UK pounds? Or less? I know Marshalls cost less there. They come stock with g12T-75, which are ok if you're into heavier styles. If not, sell them and put whatever speakers you like in there.
Build one, it's not uber difficult and doesn't matter if you do a perfect job since its only for practice.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
aI112987: TBH, that's too much. I have a nice Orange 212 that I use for gigs, and I'm not looking to break the tone barrier with this. I have a vintage 30 speaker hanging around that place that I can just stick in so all I really need is half decent quality construction.

Kevin: I considered making my own, but I really don't have the time or the equipment necessary. Nice to see you back from bannage btw
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Sep 15, 2008,
You do know that Vader has a UK site right? Vader & Avatar are the only two cheap cab makers i know. Sorry i couldnt help more\

EDIT: Nevermind, they have a European site. The UK isn't part of Europe, is it?
http://groups.ultimat e-guitar.com/aa08s/

Squint your eyes to see clearly. Blur reality to make it real.

Quote by Magic Jim
"Jimmy! Eat your peas!"
"It's not illegal if I don't"
"k, koo"

Imagine if life was like that.

Awesome
Last edited by the Sinner at Sep 15, 2008,
They do, although you may have to pay duties or customs fees.

But still, its a nice cabinet.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 15, 2008,
man it HAS to be the harley benton vintage 4x12 from thomann, its 4 celecstion v-30's for £250, free delivery. Steal!
Quote by vitchb
man it HAS to be the harley benton vintage 4x12 from thomann, its 4 celecstion v-30's for £250, free delivery. Steal!

He said he wanted a 1x12 and already has a speaker.

not to mention, I heard that they're rather cheap cabinets. And the enclosure itself DOES matter.
^But to what extent? Like I said, this cab is going to be set and forget to a certain extent, it's going to sit in our practise space so that I can practise with a better tone than a valvestate. As long as it doesn't fall apart from the vibration I'm not overly bothered, I just want the best from my money (which to avoid any confusion is say about £120 maximum).

Good to be back. Posting>lurking

I still say build one, all you have to do is cut 6 squares all the same size (I know this isn't the "right way" but it will work for this mans purpose) and then cut a hole in one of them for the speaker. Nail/screw it together and you're done. 20 minutes easy, 40 tops if you're unexperienced
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
what wattage handling do you need? the valve junior cab is quite nice, and quite cheap. i've seen them going for £60 recently.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
just build a cab. or find a used one on ebay. or buy one of those little valve junior cabs.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
^ I was actually looking at that as well. Has it decent enough construction?

I have an Orange Rocker 30 head so I assume thats 30w handling, which isn't all that bad. I also have a 60w rated v30 if I don't like the stock speaker.

Kevin and Chea_Man: I'd love to build a cab, but since I have no wood working equipment at my house atm (hacksaw, nails, hammer, sandpaper etc.) I don't think that option's really going to work out. It probably is the most economised one though. Do you reckon getting all the gear you need to make a cab and the wood would still work out cheaper than buying a half decent cab of gak or thomann or whatever?
Last edited by bartdevil_metal at Sep 15, 2008,
should be ok, i think the stock VJ speaker is rated for 70 watts. i tried one once, though it sounded quite nice (but that was only with a valve junior through it, so it wasn't like it was being pushed really hard). definitely pretty nice for £60, asssuming they're still made as nicely as the one i tried, but i didn't have all that much time to check it out, other than playing through it. would be worth a try if you can find one easily. i think there's a laney 1x12 at around £100, but i haven't tried it. marshall do one too, bit more expensive i think, again haven't tried it. the vj is the cheapeast one (i'm wary of harley benton), i think, but i could be wrong.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ywah I think I'm going to go with the VJ Cab. Even if I don't like the speaker I can still replace it with the same speaker I have in my 212 now, so its a win win. Thanks for everyone's help
crate makes a 2X12 v- series cab rated for 100 watts or so for 119.99 on musicansfriend, but idk about quality, ive just seen it
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Ywah I think I'm going to go with the VJ Cab. Even if I don't like the speaker I can still replace it with the same speaker I have in my 212 now, so its a win win. Thanks for everyone's help

i need to get one too. my big problem is that i've found a load of places which sell them at £60, but then once they realise i'm in northern ireland, the postage cost is ridiculous (like, £20, when it's often free to mainland UK, or at least, very cheap)...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?