Tips for creating Iron Maiden style harmonies. What interval do they usually use and others and any other info about harmonies. I am willing to (and would rather) read long, drawn out explanations interwoven with complex musical theory-but if all your answer is is simply 'minor third' then that would be ok.
Hope this is in the right forum-please tell me if it's not before reporting me.
Last edited by Cachao at Sep 15, 2008,
In no way am I trying to be demeaning, sarcastic, offensive, et cetera, but I gather you enjoy Iron Maiden -- "duh." I could infer that you, on Ultimate-guitar, play guitar, and can play some or a lot of Iron Maiden songs. I could also infer that since you want to know what interval is used in their harmonies, you have a rounded understanding of music theory.

Honestly, I don't know the answer to your question. I could guess, and probably be completely wrong, but if you have an interest in Maiden, play Maiden, and know some music theory...wouldn't you be able to figure this out yourself... ? It just seems questionable to ask someone else, when you could undergo the magnificent endeavor of figuring out, for yourself, the answer to your longed-for question.

Or so my school once told me.
Dyads in the natural minor, generally. You probably already know this, but that means playing a melody line, and the second guitar playing the same rhythm, three (two?) scale degrees removed (usually higher), rather than hard thirds, fifths, or whatever.
A mix of minor thirds, major thirds (depending on what is required to stay in key), fifths. Learn some.
they usually use 3rds. major or minor 3rds, so 3 semitones different.

I.E 'E-G' - 7th fret-10th fret on the A.

GTR 1
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
---------------------------------
D--------------------------------
A----------7-7-7--------5-5-5-
E--000--------------------------

GTR 2
D-------------------------------
A---------10-10-10----8-8-8-
E---000-------------------------

you get the idea lol
try diatonic thirds - every note is two notes up in the scale you're using.
"Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks."
- Dr. Dre
Quote by Shred-Hed
A mix of minor thirds, major thirds (depending on what is required to stay in key), fifths. Learn some.

/thread
thank you all very much-I did try and figure it out myself but I wanted to make sure because I didn't think I was right.
The trill riff in "The Trooper" is the only harmony of theirs I know that is not diatonic thirds; it's diatonic 6ths, which are just inverted thirds.

I take that back. Some of the intro lick is harmonized in 5ths or 4ths, but diatonic thirds=Maiden.
Q: "Do you tend to harmonize in certain intervals, say thirds or fourths?"

Adrian Smith: "I couldn't tell you, actually. I never studied music, and the other guys are all pretty much the same way. Most rock musicians play by ear -- if it sounds good we do it. I believe that most of our harmonies are thirds, but we never sit down and try to figure them out that way. Sometimes we like to go for something slightly skewed, not the obvious harmonies, and other times someone will do something by mistake and say 'Ah, that's interesting; let's leave it in.' It may not always be 100% correct, but it sounds good."

interview with Smith & Murray, 2008, "Guitar Legends", Iron Maiden edition
Quote by bangoodcharlote
The trill riff in "The Trooper" is the only harmony of theirs I know that is not diatonic thirds; it's diatonic 6ths, which are just inverted thirds.

I take that back. Some of the intro lick is harmonized in 5ths or 4ths, but diatonic thirds=Maiden.

Finally, someone did what I suggested in another recent thread, and discovered the truth. It's not all 3rds, Kudos, now you've actually learned something!

Best,

Sean
Quote by Orion2826
There are not 6th's, but thirds an octave below.

Dude, you just bumped a four year old thread. Don't bump four year old threads.

*facepalm.jpg*
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at May 27, 2012,
You necrobumped a necrobump what the hell man.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
it looks to me that the first b and g are a minor 6th in g major and the next notes a and f sharp are major 6ths as well as d and b are major 6ths.
You realize you just necrobumped a necrobumped necrobump.

This thread was started 8 years ago. resurrected 4 years ago and again 3 years ago...and again today.

Closed.
Si