so, i recently bought a gibson les paul standard, which is amazing, but ive always wanted a real fender strat. eventually, now that i have a job, ill get one, but im wondering, should i eventually get the american standard or american deluxe strat?
now i love the thought of having the straplocks, s-1 switching, and especially locking tuners, but im unsure about the samarium cobalt noiseless pickups. will they be able to nail all the tones im wanting? right now, im getting a great joe walsh type tone, with just my old squier (i play a marshall jtm-30 tube combo) so im wanting those great tones, plus im wanting to play some frusciante, hendrix, stevie ray vaughan, david gilmour,
robin trower, pete townshend, and like lynyrd skynyrd and rolling stones tones, but id also like some iron maiden type tones, but im wondering, are the pickups on the regular american standard strat better for these tones?
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

or you could replace the pickups after you buy it?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
American standard strat is great for that stuff except maybe Iron Maiden. But they played strats, so through the right amp you could do it. Tone is more defined by your amp than your guitar. But the American Standard is a really good guitar. For some reason, Americans just feel sturdier than Mexicans. I don't know why. If you want a really really good strat check out the John Mayer Signature. THOSE pickups are reaaaally good. In essentials, they're texas specials with a little bit of a mid scoop. It has a really full sound.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

those pickups wud be perfect for u actually, i have them. for the stevie ray vaughan tone, put them on the switch that has both middle and bridge, or middle and neck.
for hendrix put it on the neck
for townsend, u cud do neck, or middle(depends on the song).
frusciante will work with ur bridge pickup, and for some songs ur neck, mostly bridge though.
david glimour,bridge
rolling stones it doest matter which pickups really
and ironmaiden i dont no too many of there song so i cant help u there
but i play metallica with my scns, so all will be good
Quote by yomoma21
just get the regular

but im really wanting the locking tuners
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99

then get the deluxe, and change the pickups.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
well, what im asking is, which pups are better for my styles, the deluxe or standard ones?
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

They're not gonna be that different. I doubt you would notice a difference if you played them side by side.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
They're not gonna be that different. I doubt you would notice a difference if you played them side by side.

Not true. I just played both back to back today and I hear a difference. The Deluxe's pickups are better IMO... they're clearer than the standard.

OP, I'm making the same decision as you... and I just ordered a Deluxe. The pickups are a little better, the locking tuners are great, the s1 switch is awesome, the nut is better, and there is NO HUM!! WOOO! That said, the Standard is a great guitar, but I like the Deluxe better.
...get a Suhr...

I really like the sound from the Deluxe. It can have a very pure sound, and my favorite clean Strat tone is when I played it through a Mesa Lonestar. For your stuff, I'd still say the Deluxe because of the S-1 switching, which gives it kind of mid boost. I know it actually does something with the coils themselves, but that's what the sound ends up being.

But to be honest, I've never heard single-coil pickups that sound as good as Suhrs. They're supposed to be like vintage Strat pickups, and I love them to death.
If anyone wants to IM me, it's dwsabianguy. No spam.