http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tech-21-SansAmp-GT2-Tube-Amp-Emulator?sku=480208

Hi UG! A friend just recently told me about this pedal being able to VERY closely resemble the Dual Rec. So i'm looking to get one.

But he also told me that it's made to run into a power amp... and if i were to run it through my amp, that i'd need to try to bypass the preamp.

How would i do this? Would i like, run it through the FX loop?

Thanks.
O O

___
Uhh, hes lost his bonkers. I run mine straight into my bassman, sounds great.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
hmm... well i thought it made sense, because it's made for running straight into a PA system... isn't it?

Well, at least i know i can run it through the amp now. Lol.
O O

___
Its designed to replace the preamp, so if you have a line input on your amp, or an FX return, you can plug it into that. The bassman probably works really well with it because it's got such sick cleans.

Just go try it out, it's basically a distortion pedal... except it's not meant to be colored by another amp pre after it does it's business.
Quote by mangaka82
Its designed to replace the preamp, so if you have a line input on your amp, or an FX return, you can plug it into that. The bassman probably works really well with it because it's got such sick cleans.

Just go try it out, it's basically a distortion pedal... except it's not meant to be colored by another amp pre after it does it's business.

That's very true. It's a great little distortion box, but it is very finiky, it takes a little bit of getting used to all the settings.

okay, so if i just keep the amp on clean... and plug in the GT2 in the FX return... i can just use it like a dist. pedal?

And if that's right, what do i do for the pedal? Do i plug my guitar into it, or do i just plug it from output to FX return, and then just use it like that?
O O

___
Quote by TheBax
okay, so if i just keep the amp on clean... and plug in the GT2 in the FX return... i can just use it like a dist. pedal?

And if that's right, what do i do for the pedal? Do i plug my guitar into it, or do i just plug it from output to FX return, and then just use it like that?

You can plug it straight into your amp, on clean. Or you can plug its input into the send of the FX loop and its output into the return.

Oh, so the preamp won't affect it if i run it through the clean channel? Because i'm using it as my ONLY distotion... no gain from the amp whatsoever.
O O

___
I owned one and it sounded great. The only problem I had was it was pretty noisy at the high gain levels, so much so I ended up selling mine. Does a good job at emulating a Dual Rec in a mid gain situation.
I'm getting an ISP Decimator (in 2 weeks) before i get this pedal... way before. So i'm covered on the noise situation.
O O

___
Well, it kicks ass for bass.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Quote by TheBax
I'm getting an ISP Decimator (in 2 weeks) before i get this pedal... way before. So i'm covered on the noise situation.

I would say that is pretty much manditory for this pedal. You should get a sweet tone.
Quote by rhettro
I would say that is pretty much manditory for this pedal. You should get a sweet tone.

Haha, yeah. Someone said the same thing on the MF review... something about "a noise gate is NECESSARY for this pedal."
O O

___
i used to have this pedal for ages, and imo, it doesnt really create that characteristic recto distortion which is bassy, loose and somewhat buzzy gain. With the switches all the way up, your tone thins out a lot and you'll have problem cutting thru.

If you want a good distortion with the GT2 the british setting is where its at.

Anyway if you really want a Mesa Rectifier in a pedal, check out MI Audio Tubezone. I have that too, and you can "loosen" the bass to emulate that tube sag you get from rectos.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers