i didnt feel right asking in the middle of the "name that chord thread.

e--6----
b--5----
g--5----
d--4----
a--------
e--------

starting from the f# i get 1 b5 b7 3
would u call the 3 or a b11

if it was an inversion of a c it would be 5 1 3 b7???im not sure..lol am i even close? i guess its a 7th chord either way
Last edited by metalmetalhead at Sep 15, 2008,
It wouldn't be either of those.
From F#, you have a C, which is a b5 making it F#7b5. You would call the A# a 3, not a b11. If you wanted to call it something an octave higher it'd be a 10 anyways in that context unless you had it as a Bb instead of an A#, but 10 is rarely used.

With C as the root, you have C, E, F#, A
Here you'd be better off calling the F# a Gb.
R, 3, b5, 6
C6b5/Gb. Again, not C7.
Quote by TheShred201
It wouldn't be either of those.
From F#, you have a C, which is a b5 making it F#7b5. You would call the A# a 3, not a b11. If you wanted to call it something an octave higher it'd be a 10 anyways in that context unless you had it as a Bb instead of an A#, but 10 is rarely used.

With C as the root, you have C, E, F#, A
Here you'd be better off calling the F# a Gb.
R, 3, b5, 6
C6b5/Gb. Again, not C7.

6th fret on the E string is Bb/A#, not A.

The notes are F# C E Bb

Starting from the F#, it's 1 b5 b7 3, which would make an F#dim I believe.
Starting from the C, it's b5 1 3 b7, which is the same thing, a Cdim.

I could be wrong though.
Good catch, I had that initially, but then messed it up when I was writing it (if you noticed I mentioned the A# when using F# as the root), so for C you'd have
C, E, Gb, Bb.
1, 3, b5, b7
C7b5.

Food:
1. keep to sharps or flats, not both. It does actually make a difference. They way you have it notated you'd have an F#7#11(no5).
2. 1, 3, b5, b7 is _7b5. The diminished 7th chord is 1, b3, b5, bb7. The half diminished 7th chord is 1, b3, b5, b7.

So by both mine and your work though, it's a C7b5, or and F#7b5.
but its a b7 why isnt it cb7b5 and the same with the f# there both b7s well i kinda get it _7b5 means there both flats..but what if there not how do you tell?
Last edited by metalmetalhead at Sep 15, 2008,
oh i see..i guess its just to much to learn in one read i better go back and read it all again thanks
Just in case you want it:
Maj7, ∆7, M7, Major 7=1, 3, 5, 7

7, dominant 7=1, 3, 5, b7

min7, m7, -7, minor 7=1, b3, 5, b7

min/maj7, min∆7, mM7=1, b3, 5, 7

Diminished 7, º7, dim7=1, b3, b5, bb7

Half diminished 7, ø7, min7b5=1, b3, b5, b7

There's your basic 7th chords.
awesome imma write that down and post it on my wall!!!lol but i dont get the bb7 Diminished 7, º7, dim7=1, b3, b5, bb7 how does that work? is it just a b7but named different cuz there all flats?
a bb7 would be flatted twice. So for example, if you went with a Bº7. The starting notes that you get are:
B, D, F, A
This is R, 3, b5, b7.
However, you want a bb7. Do do this, you flat A again giving you the notes:
B, D, F, Ab for a Bº7 chord.

As a note: The bb7 SOUNDS the same as a 6, however it functions very differently.