a friend of mine who likes metal music is dying to get a guitar that is less than 300 dollars and is good for playing metal. he beleives the fender telecaster is the best for this, i disagreed and told it was the b.c rich, yet he does not like those designs. Is there any design similar to a tlecaster that is good for metal (he likes gibsons too)
I dunno if you could call it similar, but if you mean as in the shape of the body, tell him to get an Epiphone Les Paul if he can afford one, or an Ibanez RG of some sort. These will be superior to a Tele for metal by MILES in my opinion.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
unless he gets a jim root tele (way more than 300 dollars) the tele is not good, BC rich's are balls, see if you can get an ibanez
Look for an esp ltd, jackson, or schecter.
Quote by Powerhouse
I was in a nu-metal band when I was 15. I hated the top 3 strings (G,B, and E). I wondered why guitars even had them.
Tell your friend to stop being an ignorant **** wit and learn about guitars before buying one.
Also, below $300 most guitars are relatively alike and dont differ other than number of frets, tremelo, humbuckers, single coils etc.
Although some low end guitars come with some good stock items though its rare.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO LET YOUR MIND SPREAD WINGS AND TAKE FLIGHT

Quote by KeepOnRotting
+Infinity. This dude knows good metal.
Quote by IRONSABBATHze12
a friend of mine who likes metal music is dying to get a guitar that is less than 300 dollars and is good for playing metal. he beleives the fender telecaster is the best for this, i disagreed and told it was the b.c rich, yet he does not like those designs. Is there any design similar to a tlecaster that is good for metal (he likes gibsons too)

let him get what he wants to get.. but I would suggest him a Epiphone G400, if he likes gibsons.
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Well, neither a Telecaster or a BC Rich is much good for metal

The Telecaster, because you'd need to get one with at least one humbucker, and I'm not aware of any even remotely decent Teles with humbuckers being sold in that price range.

And the BC Rich is equally useless because all of the BC Rich models in that price range blow, hard.

Less than $300? Good for metal? You're going to struggle. Perhaps one of the cheaper ESP, Dean or Ibanez guitars, but none of them are that amazing... you could get a somewhat below average Telecaster for $300, but it won't be good for metal, and you won't have enough money left over from that to upgrade it sufficiently. If he likes Gibson designs too, he could maybe go with an Epiphone G-400 SG if he saved up an extra $150 or so, though the pickups would probably also need changing as well if he wanted it to do really hard metal so that'd cost more on top.

Also remember that your amp defines more of your tone than the guitar does, no point getting some brutaldeathgrindthrashcore metal shaped guitar with high-output ceramic pickups or active pickups, if your amp is some tiny 15w solid state and your only means of distortion is a boss DS-1.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
ibanez RG321
schecter omen 6
'bout it for that price limit as far as i know
some cheap LTD's
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Well, unless your friend is going to swap the pickups (which seems unlikely due to his budget) the tele is not a good choice. It is way too trebly and the low output and pickup hum of the single coils sure won't help when dialing in a good metal tone.
I'd stay away from Epiphones as well in that price range. Their sound is more balanced than a tele's but they sound muddy with the gain cranked.
In that price range, I (always) recommend the Ibanez RG321. Some people say it sounds a tad sterile, but it can handle lots of gain without muddying up.
If the tele shape is so important to him, see if you can dig up a Yamaha Pacifica 120. It's not as metal-oriented as the RG, but it'll still do the trick. It should be available for under 250$.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 15, 2008,
Saying Metal isn't specific enough really. Because I could take a strat and give it a metal tone. Ibanez or Jackson is your best bet.