Page 1 of 2
To start, yes, I did searchbar. In fact, I searchbar'd, GOOGLE'd, asked people, etc. but you know what? I'm asking UG.

I just recently joined a band on guitar, and we are now a four piece (me and Matt on guitars, Nick on bass, and Evan on drums). We just wrote a song, learned a couple covers, but never had vocals, due to the fact that none of us has screaming or singing skills.

Well, I've found two people that are interested: Andrew and Mikey.

Andrew made it out to our last practice, and showed us that he can scream REALLY well. He has knowledge about how the music scene works (he drums for a local punk band that actually opened for Rancid and MxPx not too long ago). He shows a lot of enthusiasm, but admits his singing isn't too good.

Mikey, a friend of Andrew's actually, has mass amounts of singing skills. Not just the "I can sing with loud stuff behind me", but he posted acoustic songs on his music MySpace, and impressed me a lot. He shows great interest and motivation for singing for us,

Both Evan and I think I'd be a great idea to have both Mikey and Andrew in the band, as a singer and screamer, respectively. On the other hand, Matt claims that it'd look "unprofessional" because while one person is vocalizing, the other is "just gonna stand there looking stupid". Unfortunately, Nick agrees.

I'm not the type of person who will go out of his way to convince someone to change their opinion, but that sounds absurd. With enough stage presence, energy, and the right song structures, it could definitely work...

...right?

So what do you think?

And does anyone know of any bands with two frontmen doing JUST vocals?
I've seen this work plenty of times. But maybe, if one of them or both of them can play keyboard, they could do that while the other did his part. Just make sure, during shows, that one vocalist isn't just standing there looking bored while the other one is at work.
Quote by fob12
Him -"Hey, give me a high five!"
Her -"hahaha why? *high fives*"
Him - "Because I just dumped you for the lulz!"
Her -"... what?"
Him -"*runs away*"

Quote by Lefty7Stringer
killswitch engage has some dissonant riffs, they're kind grindcore tho

Lots of bands make that work. Inversely, some bands fail with it. It's all in the personnel.
Listen to Dance Gavin Dance, they're amazing and they've got a lead screamer, and singer
(or I suppose, they have for 2/3 of their albums) and it really works well, and its original.
And while the one vocalist isn't singing/screaming, they can be getting the crowd excited,
crowd surfing, getting water, jumping around, etc.
It honestly doesn't look stupid as long as the vocalist that isn't singing/screaming isn't just
standing in one spot.

Do it.
alexisonfire?
just see if one of the singers can do anything else to get them more involved
"You've got to dance like nobody else is watching.
Dream like you will live forever.
Live like you're going to die tomorrow,
and love like it is never gonna hurt."
-- James Dean (1931-1955)

Quote by JakeTheDuck
This man has the right idea.

^
oh yeahhh
What's more important to you?
How you sound or how you look? If you are at all into music, I hope #1.

Besides, there are a lot of bands that if not have 2 vocalists, they have some person doing nothing for some amount of time.
Where were Ozzy when Iommi ripped out a solo?
Phil when Dime did his shred?
Where does James LaBrie hide whenever Dream Theater whips out an instrumental?

None of those ever looked stupid on stage, because they had presence, but most of all, they didn't care. Looks are second to sound.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
no because during an instrumental a singer doesnt look stupid even though hes not doing anything its part of being able to play a good show if hes gonna sit there and look stupid then someones not doign their job right
Well, i think 2 frontmen would be a good idea. Who cares if theres a band "with two frontmen doing JUST vocals"... i mean if not it would be unique... so why not. But... you have to make sure a least one of them can write decent lyrics...
Je parle français, excusez mon language inaproprié quand je m'exprime en anglais.

one of them could interact with the crowd while the other does his thing, kind of like eddie with iron maiden, but that ll only work if they look over the top
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
there are quite a few, i cant remeber any known one, but there is a local band here that has 2 lead vocals, 1 screams while the other sings(kind of)
also a band in a contest had a bassist that did lead vocals and a screamer that just screamed during small parts of the chorus and bridge
the 1st band is quite big here, atleast for metalheads and hardcore people, i hate that band but in his shows they now how to move the people, they do a nice show
2nd band was really great to listen, altough the screamer was kind of lame IMO he was standing there in the corner, he should have jumped atleast
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
3 Inches of Blood, their screamer though is out now.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by SinnaSatan
What's more important to you?
How you sound or how you look? If you are at all into music, I hope #1.

Looks are second to sound.

I understand what you're saying, but that's not always the case. Recording, sure, it'd sound amazing and wouldn't be trouble at all, but playing shows is what gets you known in the Minnesota music scene, and when people pay money for a show, they want to be entertained.

Thanks for all your input. I'll check out the bands you've all mentioned, and if you can, keep'em coming!
3 inches of blood. one sings in the really high pitched classic metal style, and the other screams. it's a great combo dude.

<---- metal.
I've seen a lot of bands with 2 vocalists. One for screaming and the other for singing. I don't know of any famous ones though, but they definitely exist.
work the songs out so that they are both singing together or alternating lines
work screams into singing only songs and vice versa
RIP George Carlin (1937-2008)
I think it will only look stupid if the singer not active stands there and looks stupid. It will look fine if the vocalists both have some sort of stage presence. Linkin Park I guess is another example of a band that does this. They suck...but they do it lol
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by stinger12345
I think it will only look stupid if the singer not active stands there and looks stupid. It will look fine if the vocalists both have some sort of stage presence. Linkin Park I guess is another example of a band that does this. They suck...but they do it lol

More often than not, Mike Shinoda (the guy who handles the rapping) is usually playing an instrument in additional to vocal duties, so that example wouldn't really count.

Having two frontmen would be great if you could pull it off correctly. Adding a good deal of vocal interplay could help with that, same with putting an instrument in one of the guy's hands.

Anyways, that's about all I can really offer. Good luck with this.
Quote by SSDDPunkRocker
To start, yes, I did searchbar. In fact, I searchbar'd, GOOGLE'd, asked people, etc. but you know what? I'm asking UG.

I just recently joined a band on guitar, and we are now a four piece (me and Matt on guitars, Nick on bass, and Evan on drums). We just wrote a song, learned a couple covers, but never had vocals, due to the fact that none of us has screaming or singing skills.

Well, I've found two people that are interested: Andrew and Mikey.

Andrew made it out to our last practice, and showed us that he can scream REALLY well. He has knowledge about how the music scene works (he drums for a local punk band that actually opened for Rancid and MxPx not too long ago). He shows a lot of enthusiasm, but admits his singing isn't too good.

Mikey, a friend of Andrew's actually, has mass amounts of singing skills. Not just the "I can sing with loud stuff behind me", but he posted acoustic songs on his music MySpace, and impressed me a lot. He shows great interest and motivation for singing for us,

Both Evan and I think I'd be a great idea to have both Mikey and Andrew in the band, as a singer and screamer, respectively. On the other hand, Matt claims that it'd look "unprofessional" because while one person is vocalizing, the other is "just gonna stand there looking stupid". Unfortunately, Nick agrees.

I'm not the type of person who will go out of his way to convince someone to change their opinion, but that sounds absurd. With enough stage presence, energy, and the right song structures, it could definitely work...

...right?

So what do you think?

Should work, as long as they learn to interact with each other, swapping vocals around, harmonising, complimenting each other's styles, basicaly working as a team.
Linkin Park would be a good example.
You said the singer has some acoustic songs yeah? So he knows basics about guitars?

Just stick a guitar in front of him (turn the volume down or something if he can't play whilst singing)...lots of bands have 3 guitarists.
Quote by SSDDPunkRocker

3 Inches of Blood does this. I highly recommend you check them out, both singers are two different guys. I've seen them live if one is singing the other is basically head banging lol.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
I played a gig with band that did this, they were a really good band and they even had a back vocalist which is really cool, my only reservation for it wouldbe taking up space on stage, particularly if the stage they were on was really small
Quote by bakshandloomis
I've seen this work plenty of times. But maybe, if one of them or both of them can play keyboard, they could do that while the other did his part. Just make sure, during shows, that one vocalist isn't just standing there looking bored while the other one is at work.

Dimmu Borgir, System of a Down, the Blackout, 3 Inches of Blood etc. all do this.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Last edited by CTFOD at Sep 17, 2008,
it would definitley work, have Andrew do Screaming and backup Screaming/Vocals throughout the whole song.
This is my suggestion; stick a guitar in one of the guys hands. Even if his playing is bad, all you need him to do is some basic rhythm. Turn his volume down and let him interact with the crowd. I saw a band once that had the bassist as the screamer and then another singer, and they were both going all over the place on the stage. It looked cool (the band sounded like crap, but that was just because they were bad) and the crowd was super pumped up. I would say go for it.
Quote by happytimeharry

We'll see how badass they truly are after their shins have been ravaged. Shin kicking is serious business.
See: Mushroomhead
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
See: Mushroomhead

Forgot about them! Great example!
Quote by sargasm
Quote by goony
You said the singer has some acoustic songs yeah? So he knows basics about guitars?

Just stick a guitar in front of him (turn the volume down or something if he can't play whilst singing)...lots of bands have 3 guitarists.

hmmm... or possibly DON'T PLAY whilst singing... no need to turn him down, otherwise its pretty worthless having 3 guitarists.
Linkin Park became one of the highest-selling rock bands of the last 10 years doing something similar. I think you'd be fine.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
There's a local band that I've seen once or twice that have a drummer, two guitarists, a bassist that does screams and singing, and two frontmen that both do screams and singing. They sounds and look amazing on stage. So yes, it can be done.

I don't think the "Stick a guitar infront of one of them" suggestions are too great, but work the songs out so that they're both doing something at the same time, or alternating between singing and screaming every few lines.
yeah, it sounds like you have two great musicians, no need to exclude one of them when the pair could make your band much better than one alone.
you just need to ensure that they have a lot of energy and can put out some serious stage presence when its not their turn.
you could add more lines for each, something like a chant at the end of each line (typically seen in parentheses when looking at lyrics), picking who does what by the song.
typically an instrument will help with the stage presence. if they can't manage without one, i'd highly recommend some simple percussion like a cowbell or tambourine, if it'll work with your band's style, but a low guitar would still work as a last resort. just be aware that you shouldn't bother if it makes more people dislike your band than it brings to your cause. some people can get turned off by someone who's holding a guitar but not really playing it to contribute to the music, but most people wouldn't notice or care.
My band has two frontmen both of which scream but only one sings though. We also only have one guitar player. We put on awesome live shows due to both frontmen being energetic and CRAZY on stage. it works for us and can work for you!
:P
we're breaking all kinds of "rules" for bands lol
try it sometime, it's fun
Decapitated only had 1 guitarist... you aren't unique.
Quote by sargasm
the number 12 looks like you

they're good, but both are screaming a lot of the time.
"Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks."
- Dr. Dre
Quote by `digitaL.braVo
Decapitated only had 1 guitarist... you aren't unique.

what's up with the off topic comment? I never said we were "unique" just that a lot of people assume two guitars work better than one. So how about you go flame somewhere else? better yet, just keep your unwanted opinions to yourself when they have no relevance to the discussion.

On topic:

If it works for your music do it, but don't force it either. Sometimes forcing something to work will be noticed by the crowd, so make sure they (the frontmen) are naturally amicable.
:P
Last edited by JohnnyOnFire at Sep 22, 2008,
Quote by SSDDPunkRocker

Two words: Stage Presence
I know plenty of bands taht have a screamer and a singer, some do look silly but it's only because they have no stage presence, the thing is that it takes a while to get comfortable on stage, give it a shot
Page 1 of 2