title says it all ive been playing 2 years almost and all i can do is play those beginner songs or whatever power chords can solo in the pentatonic a bit but cant make anything that doesnt sound cheesy thats all i ever really playi can play clean 3 string arpeggios slowly but i dont think i should get into sweeping when i cant alternate pick a half decent solothats npot in the pentatonic. i would consider myself a decent metal rythym player i can gallop tremolo and shit like that but im wanna learn to solo! i know minor scale/harmonic minor scale in 1 "box" and i know pentatonic across the fretboard.

i practice about 1/2 an hour a day but its usually screwing around trying to write but it doesnt help me much at all. what kinda stuff should i practice to get good at soloing?
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out
Getting kicked in the balls repeatedly

Primus Sucks
Finger exercises, and learning solos from other songs to get your hand into the feel of it.

Out of interest, can you play any open or full bar chords?
ya i can play those
Quote by Mackawade
i was wondering what is some of the stuff you guys would consider better than WOW

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks
i know i sound like an idiot but im not THAT bad but still i wanna get a boost in progress hehe
Quote by Mackawade

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks
Practice more. Half a hour is not enough! Get a schedule, work on your difficulties, learn theory and improvise if you want to get good soloing.
Get a tutor if you can afford one
Kit:

Tanglewood TW28STR
PRS Soapbar SE II
Epiphone LP100

Roland Cube 30x (New!)
practice what?
Quote by Mackawade

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks
play clasical songs or take classical lessons sounds gay but helps do harder songs than power chords songs it may take you a long time to get harder songs but you will still get better
dont listen to these nerds.

Start listening to good music and backing tracks, and have fun playing pentatonic blues solos along with the songs.

Schedules/Exercise/Lessons are for nerds and bad players who think that Steve Vai is the best guitarist ever. Learn the fretboard and improv, thats the key to being good at guitar.
Quote by tgrillo

Start listening to good music and backing tracks, and have fun playing pentatonic blues solos along with the songs.

Schedules/Exercise/Lessons are for nerds and bad players who think that Steve Vai is the best guitarist ever. Learn the fretboard and improv, thats the key to being good at guitar.

dont listen to him,

playing around is great and all (hey, im doing it!) but if you dont train yourself properly you wont learn anything.
I see you're not using the UG black theme

Originally posted by GOD
akm_202, i now announce you, king of awesome. You may bow down to me.
Quote by tgrillo

You must really feel bad knowing that the "nerds" you're talking about are much complete players than you are. Get a schedule, learn theory, learn and analyze songs and don't forget improvisation.
Quote by symba05
You must really feel bad knowing that the "nerds" you're talking about are much complete players than you are. Get a schedule, learn theory, learn and analyze songs and don't forget improvisation.

no, actually they are not. I dont learn theory if its not necessary, and most of the guitar is patterns anyway.

Regardless, all of you metal nerds with like 20286236826 scales make all of us guitar players look like nerds sitting and doing dumb exercises all day. None of you can improv at all, and all we end up hearing in EVERY solo is the same stupid repeated lick you practiced for 3 hours last night on your stupid ibanez POS.

Learn to play the guitar for fun, with feeling, improvisation, and get some finesse around the fretboard by practicing and trying new techniques/songs.

Nerds.
Quote by tgrillo
no, actually they are not. I dont learn theory if its not necessary, and most of the guitar is patterns anyway.

Regardless, all of you metal nerds with like 20286236826 scales make all of us guitar players look like nerds sitting and doing dumb exercises all day. None of you can improv at all, and all we end up hearing in EVERY solo is the same stupid repeated lick you practiced for 3 hours last night on your stupid ibanez POS.

Learn to play the guitar for fun, with feeling, improvisation, and get some finesse around the fretboard by practicing and trying new techniques/songs.

Nerds.

You really don't know what you are talking about do you? Theory is the basis to improv. You can't make improv interesting at all without knowing at least some theory. You fail to realize that theory doesn't limit you, it doesn't say you can't play this or that. It only says these are the things that have been proven over hundreds of years to sound good. And its not just a few things that theory shows you, it's a countless number of things that can be applied any way you want to. Anything you know about music is a form of music theory. The more theory you know the more creative you can get.

Also, not every person who knows theory plays metal, nor is it vice-versa. I'm a blues rock guy myself and theory is vastly helpful to my playing. In fact, those who use repetive boring licks are the ones who don't know any theory. I'm tired of you posting in every thread that theory is useless and nerdy. If it's so nerdy then why don't you get off the computer go do some of your "improvising."

/rant
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
your red text doesnt make you sound smart, fyi

All the theory in the world isnt going to make you nerds sound good. Learn pentatonic, then learn the cool little extra notes you can play with it, like the minor scale. thats it. You dont need any of this trash to be good at guitar.

All of the greats never sat around practicing licks from a stupid video. They just sat down, played, and played blues. Patterns > Theory. You people waste too much time worrying about if an A is in scale with a diminished 5th in E to realize that you can just find out what sounds good and bad by playing.

And no, the theory nerds play recycled old licks because they arent making their own, and are instead reading a stupid book meant for people who play classical music.
Quote by tgrillo

Nerds.

some other shit here

your red text doesnt make you sound smart, fyi

All the theory in the world isnt going to make you nerds sound good. Learn pentatonic, then learn the cool little extra notes you can play with it, like the minor scale. thats it. You dont need any of this trash to be good at guitar.

All of the greats never sat around practicing licks from a stupid video. They just sat down, played, and played blues. Patterns > Theory. You people waste too much time worrying about if an A is in scale with a diminished 5th in E to realize that you can just find out what sounds good and bad by playing.

And no, the theory nerds play recycled old licks because they arent making their own, and are instead reading a stupid book meant for people who play classical music.

i'd honestly rather be a nerd that you've described than an elitist who thinks they're better than everyone else just because they learned how to improvise.

if you took the time to learn scales and practice them you're improving your options for soloing AND improvising.

this is called music theory.

grow up

some shit after

you don't. you're right.

the one thing you seem to be doing is neglecting that theory helps those who are caught in a rut who never have had lessons before. they could take the alternate route you suggested and be stuck for a longer time or they can take an initiative to learn some theory and make some slow progress.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Last edited by about at Sep 17, 2008,
Oh sorry the red text makes you upset that you have to change from your "Sooper Kewl UG Black Theme." So I'll just post this one normally.

Realize that you said theorists play recycled old licks while at the same time you limited all of lead guitar to the pentatonic scale, which has been used about a kazillion times. Watching a video to learn a lick is not theory, you really don't know what theory is do you? With theory you write your own licks not others'. Watching lesson vids and learning tabs are much more related to the Patterns technique. Theory keeps you from having to memorize a bunch of vids and tabs. And by knowing "an A scale with a diminished 5th in E" or whatever that jibberish meant, you know what will sound good before you start playing. That way you aren't dumbfounded trying to improv when someone tells you their chord progression and it isn't a simple I-IV-V blues.
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
the pentatonic is the basis for 99% of rock/blues. The extra notes and such come from experience and improv.

And I know what sounds good BEFORE because I have played that note before, and know in my head how its going to sound.

I dont learn tabs most of the time if I can help it, and 99% of my guitar time is spent messing around and improving, making my own licks and figuring out what everything sounds like on the guitar. Doing things for yourself instead of learning theory, watching videos, and practicing riffs is the best thing you can do for yourself as a musician. Also, I have no reason to learn those exotic scales, as they are not used in the style of music I play.

Figure things out for yourself instead of reading other people's blueprints. Pentatonic is not a 100% end all soloing scale, its a basic pattern to build upon.
alright, Im gettin sick of this bullsh*t. Dude, you need to start listening to some music.
Most all the best improvisationists knew/know at least basic theory.
John Frusciante, Flea, Clapton, Page, Hendrix, Joe Perry, Victor Wooten, John Mayer, Satriani, Keith Richards, Billy Gibbons, Larry Graham, Tommy Emmanuel, Jimmy Reed
Randy Roads, potentially the GREATEST guitarist EVER not only studied theory, but classical theory. pay attention man.
most of them learned it AFTER they were famous. That list is not factual, and you just listed a bunch of guitarists who you think may know theory.

And John Froosh is not a good soloist at all. Solo wise, the RHCP have about as much to offer as Green Day....
dont worry guys im not taking "tgrilo"s advice thanks for all the suggestions so far im taking classical music theory in school coming up here so im gonna really try and apply everything i learn to my guitar
Quote by Mackawade

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks
I know this may not be relevant to your questions bobsam3 but are you comfortable with how accurate and cleanly you can alternate pick right now?

Oh and everyone else is completely right about theory. Takes the guess work out of improvising and helps you know what sounds good at the time/phrase/key or whatever you like to apply it to. You are really lucky too with classical musical theory, i'm a self taught player myself and wish i had a teacher for that.
i feel like i have a good right hand idea of it like it feels really natural but syncing up the hands is another story
Quote by Mackawade

Quote by last-1s-out

Primus Sucks