Ok well I just got recruited on a deathmetal/hardcore band last week, they're gonna have me playing 50/50 rhythm and lead.

They already do around a gig every week or every other week, so there will be a decent amount of gigging.

Since I only have a 10 watt practice amp, and a 130 watt amp with no effects (including overdrive) I decided I need to get a good gig worthy amp.

I want a halfstack, partially because it will make me look MUCH cooler (Yes I know you'll all hate me for that), and I am willing to pay a few extra hundred bucks to get one over a combo.

On the other hand, im still willing to get a combo, thats only if I must.

So I need a good amp (preferably halfstack) that costs around a thousand dollars

so what do you guys think I should get?, I was thinking a bugera 333XL halfstack but some people say it wont hold up well with constant gigs.

thanks in advance,

~GxT
Where (specifically) do you live?
I'm only going to show you combos, unless I see a kick-ass deal on a half-stack.
Look cool. psht.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by mcrfobtai
Randall Rg50tc
Bugeras
5150/6505
Possibly a used 6505+

^
exactly
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by Swap-Meet
yeah, you have fun dragging a half stack to gigs once a week...and dragging it to practice 1-2 times a week....good luck with that.

Get a big, strong girlfriend
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
If you want a halfstack because you like the way a 4x12 cab sounds over the way a combo sounds... get a halfstack.

If you want a halfstack because OMG AN EFFING HALFSTACK IS AWEZOM, get a combo.
The sad truth is that most of the outside world of guitarists (non UG-ers) is uninformed about the practicalities of combos as opposed to stacks... One out of every Twenty guitarists (prolly more) even thinks about going to UG for info and advice.

See? Here they are, going out into the cold, cruel world of rock guitar, our young UG-ers to face the uninformed minions of half-stack toting monsters. Is it any wonder they all want half stacks?
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
I have a half stack, or a quarter stack rather (oversized 2x12), it looks pretty damn cool and is not that inconvenient either. In fact, I prefer carrying a 2x12 and head separately compared to carrying one huge combo.

But my rule of thumb is to not get a halfstack unless you can spend at least $1500.
I have a 3/4 stack, but only because my budget allowed me to buy a good one, not to mention the head I have doesn't come in combo form

I'd suggest:

Peavey 5150/6505 head + 2x12 (yes, not a combo - the heads sound much better imo)
Mesa F-50/100
Mesa DC-5/10
Mesa Mark III
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Recto-O-Verb/Trem-O-Verb
Carvin V3

If you must, you could probably find all those in head form (besides the last two Mesas) and get a nice 2x12 cab. I'd MUCH rather carry a head and 2x12 than a combo, combos are heavy as hell, especially a 2x12.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
up for 37 hours studying for a dsp test, haha

ill get rid of my post :P
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Last edited by ICANSEEYOU7687 at Sep 16, 2008,
This will NOT make your penis larger. That said...
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/msg/840902377.html Orange TT + 4x12. $450 wut?
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/msg/841930530.html Laney AOR? bueler? bueler?
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/msg/839728899.html JSX $750
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/msg/838022424.html Engl head, get your own cab... $600

HOLY SHlT!!!!! THIS...
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/msg/838022424.html

Ha! JK
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/msg/832792180.html Mesa Duel Rectumfrier $1150?

I just hope you don't live in Topeka...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
^2 first line of the thread.

^that Orange is 450 by itself. the cab is 375. But its still slammin.

Don't judge me.
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
did you even mention what bands, or sounds, thats you want to emulate, or be close to... even a genre? i'm surprised no one has asked that or am i blind?

because I posted "a metalcore/hardcore band asked me to join them"

we dont really want to sound like or be close to anybody, we're gonna be completely original.
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
did you even mention what bands, or sounds, thats you want to emulate, or be close to... even a genre? i'm surprised no one has asked that or am i blind?

You're blind, which begs the question, how do you navigate the internet?
Quote by GuitaristTrue
because I posted "a metalcore/hardcore band asked me to join them"

we dont really want to sound like or be close to anybody, we're gonna be completely original.

duuuuude. tell me where you is.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
duuuuude. tell me where you is.

He's in Kansas, I checked KC, but not Topeka or western Kansas. Just going with the odds on that one.
Oh. there's some ballin-ass shit in KC. that's for sure.

that double rec is perfect for what he wants. at that price, at least.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Oh. there's some ballin-ass shit in KC. that's for sure.

that double rec is perfect for what he wants. at that price, at least.

That's not that great of a price... There's a few for sale on HC for ~$1000.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
^I stand corrected. How far under a grand?
I still feel the same way about it.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com

Don't judge me.
I have a half stack (6505+ and Mesa Rectifier 4x12) and honestly it's not hard to move at all. The head is only like 40 lbs and the cab has casters so I can literally move it with one hand, providing there aren't any stairs of course. If you want a half stack, get one, but don't settle on a mediocre half stack when you can get a combo or head/2x12 setup that's better. If you decide you don't want or can't afford a good half stack, I'd go with head and a 2x12 cab. That would give you more options as far as speakers go and like the other guy said, carrying a head and 2x12 individually is much easier than lugging a 65 lb combo.
yeah, sorry about my post, a couple all nighters in college really screw around with your common sense and apparently the ability to read, lol my bad.

but that engle and mesa on craigslist look pretty badass
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
5150 would be cool, most likely. some mesa stuff might not be too far outside your pricerange if you go used, either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MatrixClaw
I have a 3/4 stack, but only because my budget allowed me to buy a good one, not to mention the head I have doesn't come in combo form

I'd suggest:

Peavey 5150/6505 head + 2x12 (yes, not a combo - the heads sound much better imo)

I'm going to beg to differ with you here. I had the 6505 head and I have the combo. The combo, with a tube & speaker change beat out the head by a long shot. Mostly because you could crank it and get "the tone" much easier than a head through a cab. Especially for smaller rooms and gigs. The clean channel on my combo is amazing and I wish I could post clips to prove it, but I can't (yet). The crunch channel of my 6505 combo has to be heard to be believed. But, in all fairness, you did say "in your opinion" which doesn't make you one bit wrong.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
I'm going to beg to differ with you here. I had the 6505 head and I have the combo. The combo, with a tube & speaker change beat out the head by a long shot. Mostly because you could crank it and get "the tone" much easier than a head through a cab. Especially for smaller rooms and gigs. The clean channel on my combo is amazing and I wish I could post clips to prove it, but I can't (yet). The crunch channel of my 6505 combo has to be heard to be believed. But, in all fairness, you did say "in your opinion" which doesn't make you one bit wrong.

Fair enough. I will have to agree with you that the clean were better on my combo than any head I've tried. I always wanted to change out the speakers in the combo, but just didn't seem really worth it to me when I could sell the combo and buy the head and 2x12 cab for about the same price and have a MUCH easier time moving it That thing is a beast to carry.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com