Page 1 of 2
Just a question, would any Fender, e.g. my Deluxe 'Verb, in forty years be worth as much as a Vintage Deluxe now? I'm not interested in selling it, EVER, just curious.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Doubtful seeing as they'll probably always make some version of that amp.

'Tis a great amp though. If I had the money I would definitely have one, sweet cleans and awesome breakup. I'd do a stevie ray and run it with a tweed bassman. That would be secks.

Edit: Just read your sig, awesome man, that's too cool.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
they might discontinue/ drop the quality of that line, in which case one from before the change would become more valuable
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Yeah, I don't plan on selling it, ever, and when I traveled, this could be the amp I take with me. Hey, can spring reverb break from being used often, I play about an hour a day from volume 2-4 with reverb all the way up.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Might wear the tube out faster, but thats cheap. You might kill the tank, but again, those aren't too expensive and they're easy to replace, just unscrew, unplug and then screw and plug and you're done.
How would that kill the tank? And the tank that costs like $30?
EDIT: How often would I have to replace the tank?
Quote by chip46
I doubt it the old vintage amps that are so highly regarded were handbuilt creations, used parts that are better than what are used in the reissues today.
Yeah, but I was wondering how things would advance, and these are just modern copies, not wired the same.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
How would that kill the tank? And the tank that costs like $30?
EDIT: How often would I have to replace the tank?

I said might, in mind its unlikely for the tank to break.
Oh, I thought you meant it was likely. Scared me there.
Quote by chip46
Quote by mcrfobtai
Perhaps that tone will be coveted one day just like we love those old amps. Maybe...

That's what I was thinking, I look forward to spending lots of time w/my amp. The sign of great gear, you can hug it and not feel weird. I almost burnt myself on the tubes.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
Oh, I thought you meant it was likely. Scared me there.

Didn't mean to scare you, just throwing what ifs out there. The reverb tube will die eventually though.

I'm so gassing for a fender reverb unit, but it's so hard to spend 600$ dollars on what is essentially a reverb pedal.

You hug your amp? That is so....awesome.
Last edited by Kevin Saale at Sep 15, 2008,
Quote by Kevin Saale
Didn't mean to scare you, just throwing what ifs out there. The reverb tube will die eventually though.

I'm so gassing for a fender reverb unit, but it's so hard to spend 600$ dollars on what is essentially a reverb pedal.

Maybe a Princeton, if it;s anywhere near as good as my Deluxe's reverb, the tank, IMO, sounds like a glorified Fender amp reverb channel. I was suprised by how similar they are, someone told me the tank was worlds ahead of the pedal.

Here:http://cgi.ebay.com/USA-MADE-FENDER-63-REVERB-UNIT-1963-REISSUE_W0QQitemZ260286757347QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260286757347&_trkparms=72%3A1163%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

And Here:http://cgi.ebay.com/1965-Vintage-Fender-Princeton-Reverb-Amp-NR_W0QQitemZ220279623075QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220279623075&_trkparms=72%3A1163%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The amp is vintage, and ends soon.
Quote by chip46
the only reason "vintage" stuff is worth more is because some jackass decided:
"oh, there's less of the old stuff than the new crap we're pumping out today, let's sell everything made before the 80's for 10x what it started as."

honest to god, i saw a 60's tune-o-matic bridge on ebay today. asking price was THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY F*CKING DOLLARS!!! i saw a les paul custom from the nineties go for 1,100.

some people are f*cking stupid by buying into this "vintage" crap.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Dear lord, my gas has just redlined. Why am I not rich?????
Quote by Jhachey22
the only reason "vintage" stuff is worth more is because some jackass decided:
"oh, there's less of the old stuff than the new crap we're pumping out today, let's sell everything made before the 80's for 10x what it started as."

honest to god, i saw a 60's tune-o-matic bridge on ebay today. asking price was THREE HUNDRED AND FIFTY F*CKING DOLLARS!!! i saw a les paul custom from the nineties go for 1,100.

some people are f*cking stupid by buying into this "vintage" crap.

nope.

a lot of older stuff was made to higher standards than they are today.

You don't think that back in the 1960s when Jim Marshall was sitting in his music shop handwiring his first run of JTM45s that they're of higher quality than the assembly line built, PCB, lower end component reissues that are being produced today?

People pay several hundreds of $$$s for NOS tubes, for more reasons than bc they're old.
Quote by Kevin Saale

TS, I'm heartbroken I wasn't included, and IbanezPsycho should also be in your sig

I'd say in 40 years from now, I'm sure they'll have come out with some new technology that makes tubes obsolete. But I could be wrong because tubes have been around for more than 40 years and they're still the best.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Tubes are a lot older than that. Its more like they've been obsolete for 40 years.
Tubes are already obsolete.

I can't think of anywhere they're regularly used outside of hi-fi audio systems and guitar amplifiers.
Classic cars. People who keep their cars from the 30s original that have radios will probably have a tube powered radio.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Tubes are a lot older than that. Its more like they've been obsolete for 40 years.

i think your using obsolete wrong, what technology has sounded better for guitar amps than tubes in the last 40 years?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Ok, obsolete everywhere but hifi and guitar amps and the military up to the eighties.
Quote by Kevin Saale

*cries* I'm not in there... I see how loved I am around here anymore
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by al112987
Tubes are already obsolete.

I can't think of anywhere they're regularly used outside of hi-fi audio systems and guitar amplifiers.

exactly lol I'm talking about guitar amps, not car stereo's

Quote by MatrixClaw
*cries* I'm not in there... I see how loved I am around here anymore

+1 to you being in there
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
My sig has been fixed.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
My sig has been fixed.

YAY!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by al112987
nope.

You don't think that back in the 1960s when Jim Marshall was sitting in his music shop handwiring his first run of JTM45s that they're of higher quality than the assembly line built, PCB, lower end component reissues that are being produced today?

People pay several hundreds of $$$s for NOS tubes, for more reasons than bc they're old.

That's true but the real reason people want them so much is that a few people decided that they wanted their amps to sound like this when components and quality went downhill. But if amps are made differently 20-30 years from now and people decide they want this tone, the price of amps now will go up.
Quote by lespaul#1
My sig has been fixed.

ahhhh yeah
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
What if there was something like a Silverface, then modern reissues would skyrocket.
Quote by chip46
Quote by mcrfobtai
Hey, I think I help a lot around here for gear and amps. Maybe not worthy of "the list" though

naa i'd say you'd be a good candidate
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by mcrfobtai
That's true but the real reason people want them so much is that a few people decided that they wanted their amps to sound like this when components and quality went downhill. But if amps are made differently 20-30 years from now and people decide they want this tone, the price of amps now will go up.

It's mostly supply and demand. There aren't many of those amps for sale, and many people want them. This makes their price rise exponentially. If people are paying so much for handwired Plexis with vintage components, why aren't they buying Metro amps instead? People will pay alot for things they can't usually get their hands on.

Here's an example: Rolex had a Stainless Steel Daytona watch out for over 15 years. You couldn't even give those watches away back then. A few years ago, Rolex decided to pull that watch off the market. Now, people are willing to pay over
20 000$ for a watch that wasn't even worth 2000$ 5 years ago.
Lespaul sure did open a can of worms there.
Quote by al112987
nope.

Truf.

Quality of craftsmanship has certainly gone down significantly over the past fourty years.
Saw-wheat sig bro! I am def not worthy of top billing, but I'll take it! *hugs computer in a non-homo way*

I'm on the fence on this issue. Some is supply/demand true. Some is the fact that these schematics still exist and the tones are still sought after and companies need to make money. Some is that a particular amp was immortalized by a famous guitarist - example SRV and the '64 Vibroverb. (WhyTF is that amp so expensive? corp greed is my only answer).

And another altruistic reason would be... because sometimes you get something "right" and fail to do so thereafter. So you go back to what works, and sells.

Will it be worth more later - depends - probably not but maybe. Only time will tell. Some will go up - some won't. Example - I know a guy that bought his DRRI for $350 used, he could make money right now on it. (He's in your sig too).

I know I like reissues, spoken just like someone that owns one. But great tone is priceless.
My view on reissues is the same as my view on all amps. If it does the job, it's the right amp.
Quote by imgooley
My view on reissues is the same as my view on all amps. If it does the job, it's the right amp.

Yet some do the job better than others.......
Page 1 of 2