alright, ive heard that strats can be very unpredictable. $1000+ is alot of cash to spend only to find ive bought a lemon so what should i look for specifically when buying a american strat?
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
1. buy it at a music store after playing it for at least an hour.
2. play THE GUITAR before you buy it.
3. dont buy it online.
4. ????
5. Profit!
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
i would say to try and also play it through your amp, or an amp closest to the amp you use
Give me a 60's kind of life
thx for the advice boys! i got a cheap beginers amp right now but im upgrading to a fender blues Jr at xmas if all goes to plan lol, so i can just play through on of those at the store. do you have to play really loud to hear all the tonal qualities?
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
The "Made in America" tag on the headstock.

Quote by hawk5211
But then again, I've never played an MIA strat that i wouldn't buy. They all feel good to me.

I've played a few MIA Strats that I wouldn't buy. They were absolute dogs. Felt like they should have "Stagg" on the headstock.
im really gasing for a MIA strat, and just playing acoustically a friend one felt amazing.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

another thing... ive heard people say never pay sticker price for stuff in a music store, long & mcquades prices r pretty good ( they have em marked at $999.99). i feel like a major dick haggling, so how do i go about it and how low could i possibly get it for?
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
another thing... ive heard people say never pay sticker price for stuff in a music store, long & mcquades prices r pretty good ( they have em marked at $999.99). i feel like a major dick haggling, so how do i go about it and how low could i possibly get it for?

That's what I bought mine for. It's not really worth haggling. But you could just say that you have $____ (say, $850 or something) and want the MIA Strat. With luck it might work, but for an American Strat, it's not that bad. The Standard is good value, I find.
I played a bunch of 2008 American Standards before I bought mine and the majority of them were great. The quality of these new models seem pretty consistent and I havent seem many dealers go much below $999.

You might want to compare the rosewood version with the maple. There are subtile differences in tone and feel. I like the maple but some prefer the rosewood.
rosewood fretboards can be repaired or re-freted easily.

a maple one is extremely expensive to have work done on.

check for defects in color, wood, nut, frets, buzz, etc

have them fully tune it for free.

guitarcenter.com has a 30day return policy. i bought a cheap F S j-bass from them. even though the rosewood had a slight defect - i kept it because it sounded/played so good.
yea im definatly going rosewood, maple feels too sticky for me
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay