I need something to play my Xiphos through at home.
Choice 1 - Line 6 pocket Pod
Choice 2 - Line 6 TonePort UX2

Questions:
Do they sound realistic?
Which is better for recording onto my computer?
Will they work with software such as guitar rig 3?
Do they have the octave shift effect?
If i play into my computer will there be delay or real time sound as responsive as playing through an amp?
Last edited by ShestShestShest at Sep 15, 2008,
wall of text = I'm not reading it, care to summarize?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
TonePort is just digital versions of the (digital) stuff on the Pod.
TonePort is better for recording.
TonePort and Pod will work with GuitarRig 3, but thats really meant as a standalone or to be used with rec. software.
They both have octave shifting.
There's a good chance that there will be latency if you attempt to play. What you need to do is find any settings that adjust buffer time. Lower that all the way if you're just playing. It'll help.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
what about the software they come with... will that have latency as well? for just jammin'... oh and they come with the usb cables right?

also am i better off getting tone port ux 1 or ux 2 cause ux 1 seams pretty good its what that korean kid on youtube who covers all megadeth and pantera songs uses and his covers sound awesome.
I think you're better off with a Peavey Vypyr, unless you really want to record.

The latency issue is in the software. That's where the issue is. UX2 is more full featured (inputs, etc). All you probably need is UX1.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
I think you're better off with a Peavey Vypyr, unless you really want to record.

The latency issue is in the software. That's where the issue is. UX2 is more full featured (inputs, etc). All you probably need is UX1.

+1000

and nice job summarizing that wall of text
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Toneport+ 'obtained' guitar rig 3=win.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Out of those two, I'd choose the TonePort. It's much easier to dial in a tone on and the interface is just overall more useful, not to mention it's a USB device which the PocketPOD isn't and will record with much better results.

There are NO latency issues with the TonePort, just plug in speakers or headphones to headphone out, plays back just like an amp, with no delay. Having it monitor you through recording software through speakers plugged into you computer, however, will have some lag.

Either would work with Guitar Rig 3, but with tweaking, you can get the GearBox software to sound very good (all the recordings on my profile are GearBox except for the one marked "new riff").

The Vyper would be another thing to look at, but if you're looking for recording easily, the TonePort is what you want.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'm with everyone else on the Toneport here.

Almost all of the recordings in my profile were made with a GX.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
^Yeah, the toneport. Best option for recording. But a small practice amp is certainly more practical than toneport.

PS...no insults meant here, but your recordings are horrible quality. I wouldn't tout something until you're fully certain of it's features and how good it is.

Don't judge me.
Last edited by theoreticmusic at Sep 15, 2008,
Quote by theoreticmusic
^Yeah, the toneport. Best option for recording. But a small practice amp is certainly more practical than toneport.

I thought all he said he was doing though is recording, so I don't really see where the practice amp comes into play.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by SSL27
I thought all he said he was doing though is recording, so I don't really see where the practice amp comes into play.

he took out a giant wall of text that you didnt have the privilege of reading. but read the question again. it asks what is BEST for recording. That honor goes to the TonePort (In this circumstance only).

based on his text wall, I recommend a practice amp if he isn't recording much.

Don't judge me.
Well if i were to get any small practice amp I'd get the Micro Cube because it has a more natural sound relatively speaking off course to the Line 6 and marshall equivalents.

As for the vyper, i really don't like it. I tried it at guitar center and could not get it to switch off from presets. I had 3 employees attempt to set it up so i could dial my own settings in but no matter what we did it was always some crazy preset with a shit load of effects on.

Nonetheless i guess i am going to go with the TonePort. just checking the UX1 is just less inputs right? Tone-wise it's of equivalence to the UX2???
Last edited by ShestShestShest at Sep 15, 2008,
Quote by ShestShestShest
well if i were to get any small practice amp i'd get the micro cube because it never has any feed back and a more natural tone than i've seen on the line 6 or vyper. not to mention the vyper is just this complex thing i went to try one at guitar center and they had 3 guys trying to set it up so i could dial in my own settings and all the presets they selected had OD effects on them. i don't really need any effects aside from maybe a little delay and the octave but thats on guitar rig 3 which i already pirated =P sooo tone port it is. UX1 right? tone wise its just as good as the ux2?

Yup. Same shit, fewer inputs.
And like MatrixClaw said. make sure you plug monitors directly into it for a latency-free setup. If you run it through the speakers on your computer, you're probably going to deal with latency.

Don't judge me.
alright, thanks to all of you who took the time to help me out. Going to go get my tone port some time later this week.

I love you all.
Dude, get guitar rig 3 too.
It's pretty much amazing.
I'm going to upload a metal clip in mah profile!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer