Quick questions from a n00b to scales.

Say my buddy is playing a chord prog in E, like E A D or whatever. I'm playing some solo stuff over the progression. Do I change the key of scale I'm using when he changes chords, or do I stay with E scales since the key of the song/progression is E?
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

If the chord progression is in E major, play E major. You have all twelve tones at your disposal, but it takes years of practice and study to play out without sounding out.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Right. Makes sense. Thanks for the help.
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

If you're doing a I IV V progression you could always take the easy way out and use the E blues scale the whole time. But like Archeo said, all 12 tones will work. You just have to learn how to use them. Resolution is everything.

If you want to have some more fun, learn the E, A, and D mixolydian scales and use those scales to solo over the progression.

Actually.... Mixolydian would work if you were using dominant chords, so just use major scales for each of them..... But learn mixolydian anyway!!!

EDIT: Damnit it's not a I IV V!!!!! Ok, ignore everything I said. Just listen to the other guy. I'm so ashamed.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Haha. Actually, I meant to sayd E A B. I'm on crack. Thanks for your info man.