How are these amps, does this amp even have any tubes, do any pros use these amps in their live rig. Does it have a Midi foot switch control slot. Should i get this or the Vintage modern 50 watt head or JVM 50 watt head. And how much louder and heavy is a 4x12 cab compared to a 2x12.
4x12 is 3dbs louder than a 2x12 if the speakers are the same and the same head is driving it at maximum volume.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Rushfan2121
How are these amps, does this amp even have any tubes, do any pros use these amps in their live rig.

I think you're either talking about the Mode four or the Mosfet. I don't really know the model numbers for either of those amps.

Both are solid state amps though. Why does it matter if any pros use them, if it sounds good to you, then it sounds good to you.

Does it have a Midi foot switch control slot. Should i get this or the Vintage modern 50 watt head or JVM 50 watt head. And how much louder and heavy is a 4x12 cab compared to a 2x12.

The VM is a better amp than the JVM imo, but I'm not particularly fond of either. The VM sounds fizzy, the JVM sounds sterile, just my opinion.

A 4x12 has more low end and more thump than a 2x12.
Quote by al112987
I think you're either talking about the Mode four or the Mosfet. I don't really know the model numbers for either of those amps.

Both are solid state amps though. Why does it matter if any pros use them, if it sounds good to you, then it sounds good to you.

The VM is a better amp than the JVM imo, but I'm not particularly fond of either. The VM sounds fizzy, the JVM sounds sterile, just my opinion.

A 4x12 has more low end and more thump than a 2x12.

What would you recommend then i would like that Marshall crunch sound for under $3000 w cab (Cheaper the better). And the reason i asked if pros use them is so i can listen their sound on youtube
Quote by Rushfan2121
What would you recommend then i would like that Marshall crunch sound for under $3000 w cab (Cheaper the better). And the reason i asked if pros use them is so i can listen their sound on youtube

splawn nitro with an avatar 4x12

EDIT: or ceriatone jcm800 clone with avatar 4x12, or a metropoulus jcm800 clone with avatar 4x12, if you're willing to spend that much
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
a splawn is good. go for that.
'79 Fender Deluxe Reverb
Gibson Les Paul Classic
Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez TS9, Keeley TS9 Baked Mod
Zendrive

LOOOOOK INTOOOOOO THEEEE PICCCTUREEEEEEEEE

Member of UG's Gain Whores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Rushfan2121

Using a pro's tone is generally not a good idea, a professional's stage sound is almost never just guitar -> amp.

What you want is entirely in what style's you play. Theres a chart that gives a good overview of Marshall's amps. Its in one of the stickies at the top of the forum.
Quote by Kevin Saale
4x12 is 3dbs louder than a 2x12 if the speakers are the same and the same head is driving it at maximum volume.

errm.
Efficency is the only thing that makes a dB difference.

Marshall crunch meaning what?

For more vintage-like stuff, get a 50 watt plexi from a company like ceriatone or metropolis, and a 4x12 cab with greenbacks, and of course a weber attenuator.
For heavier stuff, find an old JCM 800, and get a FX loop modded in there, with an 80's marshall cab. And of course, a weber attenuator.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by kool98769 at Sep 15, 2008,
The only thing about those amps is i cant try before i buy i only have a guitar center and sam ash near me so can u recommend somthing i could find in one of those stores.
Quote by kool98769
errm.
Efficency is the only thing that makes a dB difference.

Marshall crunch meaning what?

For more vintage-like stuff, get a 50 watt plexi from a company like ceriatone or metropolis, and a 4x12 cab with greenbacks, and of course a weber attenuator.
For heavier stuff, find an old JCM 800, and get a FX loop modded in there, with an 80's marshall cab. And of course, a weber attenuator.

Ok, I was always wondering about this. I am almost positive you are correct as I have always been told for years that speaker efficiency is all that really matters in determining "loudness", yet people on this site have been saying the whole 3 dB thing every time this topic comes up.

I think people are getting it mixed up with the comparison of a doubling an amp's wattage producing a 3db difference.

Anyway, I will second the 50 watt plexi reccomendation.

Metropoulos 50 watt plexi - $2300 or so (George doesn't list it on his site)
Weber 100w Mass Attenuator - $225 (you'd need a 100W attenuator for the 50 watt plexi)

should fit the budget of $3000.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 16, 2008,
Quote by al112987
Ok, I was always wondering about this. I am almost positive you are correct as I have always been told for years that speaker efficiency is all that really matters in determining "loudness", yet people on this site have been saying the whole 3 dB thing every time this topic comes up.

I think people are getting it mixed up with the comparison of a doubling an amp's wattage producing a 3db difference.

I'm under the same impression as you but someone on here posted something saying that every time the cone surface is doubled, there is a 3db increase in volume (i.e. 2x12 is 3db louder than a 1x12, 4x12 is 3db louder than a 2x12, etc. etc.)